VFR Map for Little Navmap

LittleNavmapOFMTheme

VFR Map for Little Navmap

I’ve created a map theme (LittleNavmapOFMTheme) for Little Navmap that makes it possible to use open flightmaps for VFR flight planning and navigation.

There are plenty of VFR maps available for the US, but for Europe it’s hard to find anything usable without being charged a fortune. Thankfully there is a project called “open flightmaps” that provides quality VFR maps for Europe, all for free.
­

About open flightmaps

open flightmaps is an open source project that provides high quality VFR maps currently covering Western Europe for the most part. This is interesting for people who want to fly VFR in countries like Germany, for which there are basically no free VFR maps available.

­

LittleNavmapOFMTheme on GitHub:

GitHub - AmbitiousPilots/LittleNavmapOFMTheme: Open Flightmaps VFR Map Theme for Little Navmap

Instructions

1. If you haven’t yet, download Little Navmap
  2. Download the latest release of LittleNavmapOFMTheme
  3. Extract the zip file into the Little Navmap\data\maps\earth directory
  4. Start Little Navmap and click on View → Theme → Custom (openflightmaps)
  5. Click on “Hide all airspaces” above the map to only show the OFM airspaces

Outside of the covered area the map is rendered black. Move the map to a location in Europe in case your map window in Little Navmap is all black.
­

Feel free to ask questions, show your appreciation and spread the word :wink:

­

41 Likes

Reserved post.

1 Like

Thanks for your work mate :smiley:

1 Like

This is amazing. Thank you. I’m already using a similar extension for LNM that adds the IFR enroute, IFR Low, IFR High, TAC and VFR charts for the entire USA. Your extension is like icing on top. Thank you! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

What extension for IFR are you using?

It’s a pity it is just for western Europe.

1 Like

The open flightmaps project is working on more VFR material, like e.g. South Africa plates are available in PDF and PNG on their website. The coverage is being extended. The project is supported by two Universities and community contributors.

2 Likes

Not only all IFR but also all the VFR sectional and terminal area charts, for the entire USA.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/548994-new-maps-for-lnm/

I can now make Little Nav Map look like this and use with MSFS:

4 Likes

This is a fantastic addition to LNM, I’ll be giving it a thorough test, thanks for adding it!

I also already use a Google maps theme which a user created over on the avsim forum: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/548994-new-maps-for-lnm/ which has been great too.

3 Likes

Now all you need to do is make and add to LNM VFR/IFR and aerodrome charts for the entire Papua New Guinea and you will never find me in this forum again as I will join Missionary Bush Pilot there spiritually :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh that sounds lovely! Yea gathering all available VFR maps. Maybe a compilation like a all-in-one solution will be the result :sunglasses: :small_airplane:

2 Likes

Alas, not the UK:(

1 Like

This…
and we germans are out of the game as well, like always

Nice addition for LNM,but useless without covering central europe.

What do you mean? Germany is one of the best covered countries of the open flightmaps…

2 Likes

Well,not on my version of LNM it seems. My open flight map theme for germany is pitch black…

There must be something wrong with your installation of LNM or the map theme. Germany is covered and runs pretty fine for me!

2 Likes

Hmm…I put the openflightmaps.dgml file into Little Nav Map -> data -> maps -> earth. Is this correct so far?

Bacouse,this is the result: (Me with my plane in France)

Make sure to copy the whole directory “openflightmaps” into LNM - Data - maps - earth.

The DGML is only one of the required files.

2 Likes

Thanks…

Sometimes I hate Github, I was clicking on the wrong file initially ^^

1 Like

Now it works. Thanks to the OP! Really nice addition to LNM

4 Likes