Slow download of updates and game files - Data Limit Override Needed

It’s ok, once your in… it will be the best flight simulation experience of all time.

Unfortunately no lmao

The game starts, i can fly with whatever settings its downloaded from the internet - settings created 6 months ago on an older CPU and a 1080p monitor.

Now running 1440p monitor, faster CPU, doubled up my RAM, moved everything to gen 4 nvme drive.

None of it matters as the game CTD on clicking general settings :joy:

Tried adding the US English language packs, EVERY possible fix on the CTD Troubleshooting steps, have run up 450gb of downloads, have clean windows installs and so on.

Can we edit the settings file outside of the game?

sometimes windows applications like to start once, then close completely once. Then, when run a second time, behave differently. As if the application didn’t close completely and some LOG or INI file got corrupted. I was seeing this behavior in FS20 recently (in 2021) as I couldn’t get the sim running after an update completed. But low and behold, I just needed to unplug and restart everything… and it works fine now. I did have to remove some community addons that were causing issues too (littlenavmap) but have since been resolved by the developer.
I hope you get your sim up and running smoothly.

It’s happening again. Looping on big file 156 of 178 at 25MB/s until I turned on my VPN and Proxy to slow the speed to 14MB/s.

It was working fine up until the PC-FS-BASE-BIGFILES-0.1.144.fspatch (file number 156 of this new 1.16.2.0 patch)

I simply wish we could adjust the Simulators Bandwidth Data settings PRIOR to updating. I don’t understand why they force and lock users into updating without allowing the user to first PREPARE the system.
They know about, and have responded with patches aimed specifically at this download looping issue. (their official solution includes exhaustive system and network configurations, removing TCPv6, etc.)
I expect it could even happen while in-game and we wouldn’t notice that the same Scenery and Textures were repeatedly loop downloading because the Microsoft Servers were choking and continuously resetting the connection and the Sim doesn’t STOP after trying 100000 times). Hopefully, the installer packages are hosted on different servers than the scenery and content data.

FS20 is the BEST VR Flight Simulation experience period… but the installer has been the worst. I’ve been doing this since FS1 in 1983.

EDIT: now that I got into the Sim, I found that I had changed the Bandwidth to 20MB/s and that is why the installer reset continuously when it hit 23-24-25MB/s as it spooled up on the big files. Small files will complete quickly, before the bandwidth rises above 25. So people with it set to 40MB or higher, may not experience the issue as frequently as those who are set to 20MB or lower. Which supports my entire argument above… not being able to adjust the Bandwidth setting before or during a pending patch being released.

1 Like

For those having issues - if you purchased via steam, the settings are stored via steam cloud - you can temporarily disable steam cloud and move the files to get the default settings
until your download finishes… see Download loop due to internal data cap

If you’re Windows Store - I think the only solution is to log in with a different Microsoft/XBOX account that doesn’t have the settings saved. I think you can force it to ask for new creds by deleting the saved Xbox credentials inside credential manager.

Well, the true Solution is for the Bandwidth throttling software code in the Updater Routine to actually adhere to the Configuration set previously by the User while also allowing re-configuration (including resetting to defaults).

• A simple workaround is the User can throttle their own bandwidth to match any custom settings previously set. (using additional software outside of FS20)

This only affects a small number of people who go into their Data Settings and LOWER the bandwidth limitation settings.

KSIElevenBravo wrote this guide a while ago. It should be related to the described problem:

I’m having a very serious problem like this. Whenever I install anything it caps itself at 4Mbits/s and will not go any faster than that. Anything I can do to fix this??

Hello ? Did you solve this problem? I have the same here