Snow Cover or No Snow Cover

They were probably hoping everyone would be playing Reno racing and wouldn’t notice the snow issue as there’s no snow in the desert! The same goes for the live weather issues. As long as Reno is working ok the rest of us can just vanish into the background.

2 Likes

Can we please see better implementation of snow actually falling?? I’m so tired of flying into a field that’s either showing -SN or SN with nothing falling. Very rarely do I feel like I actually see snow falling.

1 Like

I see nothing wrong about (manually set) snow coverage.

Then you lose the live weather…used to be able to save it but that seems to be gone, maybe you have to do it from the main map. But yeah I just take the metar from the area im flying in an adjust from that no fog when there should be haze etc.

I’ve flown from Stead to Reno Intl in a spring snow… believe me, it can snow in the desert, especially the high desert. I’ve seen the entire Apple Valley from Victorville to Palmdale including Lancaster and Rosemont (aka Edwards AFB) covered with a foot of snow. Quite a sight.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance, UK based user here, not that well up on my deserts as you can tell! I will be googling that area later, sounds amazing! Thanks!

In my opinion, that defeats the entire purpose of live weather.

Here in Quebec, live weather and snow is good in term of winter progression. Lakes get iced at the same pace and snow depiction on the ground is not perfect but generally speaking, the pace/progress is pretty good. Here are a few pics. Two issues for landing on lake however, level of the aircraft on ice is bad and there is no snow cloud produced by the engine behind the aircraft.

2 Likes

Wow thats some pretty deep snow there, swallowed your gear and everything. I like how the plane left tracks behind it in the snow as it moved along ;p

2 Likes

tomorrow will be a good day to test our province’s weather

I don’t know about lake Brienz, but I can assure you, in italy lakes does not freeze. never.
I’ve never saw one of the big lakes frozen. never heard of them in any story or tale.

there is no way such a thing can be “real”

I’m sure, wherever you live, you would hear in the news if something like this would ever happen here.

I have the feeling they consider an “area” of snow, but not the altitude.
they simply cover in plain white from top to bottom regardless of altitude and temps… and roads, and runways, and water, and rocks, and everything. just a white layer.

at least I would like to disable snow coverage…

this is the same lake above, today. same area.

1 Like

Oh yes! Real snow storm this morning!

Anyone has this bug ? On frozen lakes, aircrafts are not at the right level and can’t take speed to climb. Tested with two default aircrafts with skis. Last year, we could land and takeoff, at the right level, without issue.

2 Likes

At exactly the same spot in your photo, or somewhere else? Is that a part of a custom scenery?

I’ve seen similar things that aren’t even snow related. If you land near the base of Uluru in Australia you can taxi around under the surface. Presumably something to do with the Uluru object, and it’s placement through the ground.

I had the same issue on a random spot with a C152. I was wondering why I couldn’t go back up in the air and gain speed so I switched to external view and saw this.
You could report it to Zendesk & opened a bug thread. :ok_hand:

Yes, I tested it at a few places and it seams a constant bug.

1 Like

That “inverting” problem exists since the beginning of the sim.
Often streets are fully covered in snow… but the rest is not ^^
In reality it’s the other way around of course.

Another issue are all the frozen lakes that never ever freeze in reality:

3 Likes

Here’s what I’m speculating as the reason for unrealistic snow coverage:

Coverage for what you see on the sim is directly tied to the spatial resolution of the model. However, in the model, each reference point should also have an altitude coupled with it so that a regression analysis can be applied for elevation smoothing. On meteoblue maps, they do correctly apply the regression due to altitude.

For whatever reason, it seems like the sim is taking the raw model data of snow coverage without the elevation regression applied to it, resulting in very out-of-place snow where there should (not) be in real-life. This is possibly just an oversight by those responsible for coding in the weather system, but then again the public doesn’t have access to the black box.

Even if the regression is correctly applied, there will still be notable inaccuracies due to the nature of spatial resolution of the model. If the reference point just happens to fall at a low enough elevation in highly mountainous terrain, it can assume no snow coverage and the regression cannot do anything for that entire area.

For example, the huge lump of mountains to the northeast of Los Angeles should show snow due to a recent major winter storm here, yet it is absent. Additionally, you can see a clear gridding artifact!

Some data providers do solve this by generalizing possible snow depth by elevation per area (using freezing level height data). Aside from minor issues that may not result in completely correct data (i.e. orographic lift, rain shadows) it would otherwise result in tremendously better coverage over our current system in the sim. But for as far as I know, meteoblue map currently doesn’t represent them well as they use the former method.

If the above speculations do prove true, this should have a rather easy solution to code in, though it won’t explain well why our fellow devs are taking a long time to implement them. For now, the only thing we the community can do is vote for the issue and pray that a fix will come soon :>

3 Likes

Just an observation - I dropped onto this thread and started to read the posts, not realising I was looking at contributions almost exactly one year old! So I moved forward to now - and you could be forgiven for saying that the posts were almost exactly the same.

So much for progress on this subject!

As I say, just an observation.

Steam, no dev mode.
Brief description of the issue:
The snow is not working. Neither are the divide in Seasons between north and southern hemispheres. The snow experienced in the northern hemi is falling in the South, in their MID SUMMERTIME.
Additionally, the snow never melts, despite temperatures above 0C. Snow in Innsbruck that fell in reality 3 weeks ago is still in Sim, meanwhile in reality there is no snow below 1000m any more!
Snow also is never removed from runways or taxiways as it would be in reality. I am full on expecting my home airport of Innsbruck to be unflyable all winter as it will undoubtedly (unless Asobo fix this) be completely covered in snow. Meanwhile in real life its peak tourism season with 15 commercial arrivals and departures per day and a completely cleared airport!

In reality, snow falls according to the “Freezing Level” which is given in most weather reports as the altitude at which the temperature is below 0. Below this altitude, there is no snow fall, because it becomes rain.

I feel like in New Zealand and Argentina at the moment the issue is there may be some snowfall at the top of the 4000m peaks which is then just copied all the way down causing sea level snow…
Entirely a bug!

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Innsbruck Covered in snow despite none in real life.

New Zealand lakes in Summer^^

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Fly anywhere with cold ish temperatures or mountains. Fly around New Zealand/Milford Sound. Argentina/Ushuaia, etc.
Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
This has been logged since December 2020. All new posts discussing it are referred back to an old post which as yet has had no official response. In addition, the post discussion this massive immersion breaking BUG is logged as a “wishlist item” rather than an ACTUAL ISSUE WITH THE GAME. Which it clearly is. I do not expect to fly around the lakes of New Zealand in the height of Summer and find 2m of snow!