Snow Cover or No Snow Cover

I found ice!

It works wonderfully in the Altai mountains

1 Like

Anyone know why I’m not seeing any snow at Sierra Nevada? highest Spain mountain. I’m sharing a link how it is right now

Webcams Sierra Nevada

thanks for helping.

I really wonder what is the grid size of the snow model in the sim, the aera covered by snow in the Sierra Nevada is at least 400 square kilometers wide (20 x 20 km), it seems that Meteoblue has data that matches with webcams, however, there is no snow at all in the sim (the only visible snow is part of the Bing images themselves).

This is what Meteoblue has for this area.

Edit:
If we take the example of a much bigger mountain range such as the Pyrenees between Spain and France, we fall into an opposite problem, right now the sim is showing a full cover of snow over the Pyrenees even at the bottom of the valleys, under 700 meters where there is actually no snow. That makes me think that the sim grid for snow model is actually very large in the sim (larger than the 2x2 km said to be used for live weather).

It seems like it only shows snow at certain depths at certain altitudes, and in the north.

Live weather always makes it 15°C when I try. No wonder there are no snow then. But if I play God and alter the weather while sitting in the plane, I can change temperature and snow depth.

Only strange thing when I have snow, is that grass turns white (instead og being covered) and that runways are not plowed. Doesn’t look real at all unfortunately.

There’s snow all over the Rockies and other mountains, it’s working there

That’s not a bug, snow is just a layer added ontop of the scenery.

The road map says they’re working on proper seasons this year, so I imagine they’ll make grass come and go during certain times of year with those.

1 Like

There’s snow here in Japan that Meteoblue says it should

But this area here just to the north should also have snow but doesn’t

1 Like

Yes, a smaller mountain range with thinner snow layer (0.2 to 0.3m according to the model), and there is nothing at all.

I thought it only showed a certain depth, but, North Bay Airport in Canada has snow, but an area with the same depth in southern New Brunswick doesn’t.

I wonder if it’s also tied to temperature and how far north/south it is.

Crater lake is frozen

The area around Lake Superior is still showing green when I tested tonight. Meteoblue shows a couple inches of snow here, but it’s not in the sim.

Wasn’t there an update today (1/3) adding live snow cover for the first time?

That update was in December.

about a foot of snow on the ground where I live near KMKE and nothing in the sim…just a little snow here and there on some roads and buildings. All the grass is green. Another failed feature…

1 Like

I am trying to guess how the snow coverage data is implemented.

Here in my province in Canada (Quebec), snow in MSFS is only present in the city of Quebec but as we go outside the city, it becomes less and less. Even if we go north.

Snow is covering the province as we speak.

So I submitted a Zendesk ticket even if I am not sure if it’s data or if there is a glitch in the way it’s implemented.

But I agree, it looks wonderful and very immersive when the data is rendering the coverage accurately.

Edit: I also submitted a suggestion for a future feature where one can set Real / Live weather but override the live values with extra manual settings to adjust snow coverage, precipitation etc where it’s not present or rendered as it should.

It was a meteoblue update I believe

Here in Northern Sweden we have around 20-30 cm snow from ESNU and little bit more north.
But now snow what so ever either in MSFS live weather or in Rex weather force.
Sorry to say, but very disappointing
Regards

Same in Estonia, I had snow upon selecting live weather for a few seconds and then is disappeared…

Actual weather in Stuttgart, Germany according to Meteoblue weather app:
0°C, 5-10cm new snow fall, altitude 250m ->no snow ingame

I followed the highway A8 towards Munich and reached the small town Merklingen, another example at a much higher altitude of 700m, -1°C, snow fall -> no snow ingame

Not realistic at all, there’s need for improvement…

Just enjoy a snow-free day! Don’t worry. Be happy.

Or use the weather editor and the web to enter it manually.