Snow coverage

Weather and climate are complex.
But it seem no rocket science to prevent snow coverage when the OAT is 24 Celsius, no?

4 Likes

The sim gets snow coverage data from meteoblue. Not sure what the resolution (tile size) of the data is. Probably some snow cover on mountains left. If the tile size of the data is too big that might show up spread over a large area in the sim. Where were you seeing this?

I do see it actually in the alps where in reality also most of the peaks are already snow free. And if I remember correctly, also meteoblue reported the free, but the sim hat really heavy snow coverage including also the valleys… :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Here’s ‘snow coverage’ data from windy.com for the alps. As you can see it shows pretty large areas as having snow cover. So if meteoblue data is about the same tile size, that explains it;

here’s the current from meteoblue (so not entirely snow free yet);

2 Likes

I suspect this is exactly what is happening, I commonly have a similar experience at Milford Sound and neighbouring airports but it usually (and suddenly) vanishes when I get further away from the mountainous areas.

Maybe they can improve things by adding some sort of altitude / snow line data (don’t know if that’s available to them at all though).

So the current snow depth data layer as the first requirement, then remove the snow under a certain altitude.

It will be hard to get it completely accurate though. The shadow side of mountains will have snow for much longer than the sunny side of the mountains.

3 Likes

france, italy, switzerland, austria, etc., everywhere where there are mountains in europe.

Looooong thread here with many examples and investigation

Please consider voting for it

3 Likes

Looks about right to me, the Swiss Alps, peaks like Titlis have snow as shown on their webcam (Webcams, live, TITLIS, Stand, Engelberg)

The problem seems to be that the snow coverage data MSFS draws from Meteoblue is very „low-res“. You can go to their map and check it for yourself. If you zoom out, the snow situation is very rough and inaccurate, just like in the sim. If you zoom in, it gets more detailed and more realistic. So the problem is not the lack of data but the kind of data MSFS uses.

1 Like

i’ve got the opposite here. flew from melbourne up into the ski slopes in victoria australia and there’s not a single flake on the ground. just green mountains everywhere.

was just thinking same thing. i’ve got opposite problem here though. there should be lots of snow where i am and there’s none.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.