So Happy with VR

Guys I have been playing around with FS for 8 months. Tried many videocards from 1060/2060/3060/3060TI.
Till I had enough….
Bough me an new rig an HP Omen with an 11700K fast SSD and fast memory and most important and RTX 3080.
Then last week I changed my Quest 2 to the revised Reverb 2 and boy what an change.
FS runs in VR now 22.5fps/30Fps in open XR.
The Image I see now after all these months is stunning. The experience is so immersive.
Yes it costed me money but best money spent in months what a joy. This game is amazing.
I you really want go serious VR there is now other way in my opinion. Tried it all but this works like a charm. Amazing!!
Happy Flyer :smiley:

11 Likes

Yeah the G2 is the way to go if you’ve got yourself a 3080. It’ll work even better when Nvidia sort out the latest driver problem. My performance with my 3080 in VR was far smoother with the new driver. Sadly it causes CTD so I had to revert back.

1 Like

Any decent dedicated PCVR headset (with DP or HDMI) will perform better than a hybrid Q1/Q2. So your results are not surprising imho. Your headset preference really comes down to what else you use your VR headset for. If you want the most versatile headset then the Q2 is pretty hard to beat. If you want the very best pcvr performance with only flight sims, then a dedicated pcvr headset like the Reverb G2 is def the way to go. Glad you are happy with yours mate.

2 Likes

Yep!! Recently upgraded to g2 from rift s… 3080TI 11900k also… beauty… very immersive… phenomenal right! How people still haven’t tried vr yet. Its as REAL as it gets!

4 Likes

Maybe because not everyone has suitable specs?

1 Like

I agree 100% with you I have the same setup and I am very happy I fly exclusively in VR mode from start of the engine until I shut it off. I use Navigrah in panel menu so I have all the maps to be able to fly IFR what is missing now is having Vpilot inside the VR to be able to return to VATSIM. I fly mostly the TBM 930 with the G 3000 mod

Yep, I havent done a single proper flight in 2d since I went VR :grin:

I have been able to get very good results with Quest 2 - its easiest by using Virtual Desktop and not bothering with all the additional tray tools / oculus settings etc - but heard others say the same about moving to G2

1 Like

I don’t use VATSIM so I’m not sure what you’re describing here, but I may know of something that could help. This guy sells panels for the toolbar. I have them and they work great. I especially like the Little NavMap panel and the PDF reader. But there’s also a VATSIM panel which I don’t use but maybe it does what you need. You might want to check it out.

With a 1080Ti I can barely use RiftS capped at 30Hz. To enjoy a G2 I would need a 3080 or above.

You can bring your desktop to VR. The method is different for each headset. Well documented in this forum.

Ya, I upgraded my ~4yo gtx1080ti early this year to a rtx3090 and this has improved all my pcvr about 1.5x. Cost me +2x what I originally paid for my 1080ti gpu though, lol!

Aside; As much as I love the versatility of my Q2, I still prefer to use my +2yo OLED Vive Pro (with 2x 2.0 base stations, Etsy gear vr lens mod, and Index controllers) for all my flight/racing sims. Plus any complex games like HLA and MOH that look better with oled, and do not benefit with wireless. Also better audio and FOV imho.

I’m sure that the HP Reverb G2 would also work great but I doubt that the extra clarity would make any significant difference to me. Also, the G2 in Australia still costs aud$1,000 and the newer versions and cables are not available.

Also, I’m not a big WMR fan. I started my pcvr journey ~4 years ago with a Dell WMR headset. In between time I’ve owned and used a few other VR headsets (Vive OG Cosmos, Rift cv1, Rift S, Oculus Go, Q1). I think I’m very lucky to be able to afford all this, including all my wife’s shoes/purses counter buying purchases, lol!

For me, my VP1/Q2, together with my i9 9900k/rtx3090/32gb ram, is the perfectt combo right now and I doubt that I’ll be upgrading all this for at least the next 12-18 months. Thanks to the VP1 Link box on/off button, and the OTT options to turn on/off ovr runtimes and audio switching, it’s very easy to go back and forth between both headsets.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

3 Likes

I got a ThinkPad P17 (Gen 1) during Thanksgiving (I believe I might have gotten one of the last ones since they only have Gen 2 now). Intel I-I9 10885, 64GB RAM, RTX 4000 (Turing) 8GB and I put in another NVMe SSD. I got the Reverb G2 too from HP during the sale. My VR experience has been quite amazing. With everything at “High”, I get 22.5 FPS and am just loving the whole experience. My kids love playing Beat Saber, Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja in VR and take an occasional flight over our house :-). Loving the whole VR experience

1 Like

Vpilot is the add on to communicate with controllers on the network VATSIM
https://www.vatsim.net/

Echoing the words of the OP:

I am totally happy with VR - the most immersive flying since I started this hobby (some 35 years ago).

I’ve been using MSFS for almost a year now. 500 flights, 200 hours, and each and every flight in VR. I will never go back to 2D flying. Simply not an option after this experience…
:slight_smile:

I9-10900, 64GB, 2x M2 SSI, 3090, G2

4 Likes

I agree with much of the positives here about vr + msfs but i’m having a 2 or 3 week break to play driving games. Can’t play fly and driving games at same time as my desk only has room for a steering wheel/shifter/pedals OR hotas/rudder pedals. Note i only play any game in vr now :slight_smile:

I look forward to getting back into msfs. It does have its downsides, and in say 5 years time we’ll look back and wonder how we put up with such low fps and resolution. But its still a good experience for many of us right now

1 Like

Yeah I am with you there, got my first VR headset in Jan 2017 and have not gamed on a monitor since. I am retired and put in many hours a week in VR. Mostly flight sims but occasionally some other made for VR games.

Can’t wait for some improvements to the vr controllers. When it’s well implemented it’s yet another step up in immersion -reaching around the different cockpits, getting muscle memory in your favourite planes :grin:

Yes!!!
I already developed neck muskle memory from all the looking around :slight_smile:

Imagine how the sim must feel once we have support for VR gloves (ideally with haptic feedback)

Can I just say, you really don’t know what you’re missing with the Reverb. If you’ve got that sort of hardware it is IMHO kind of wasted on a Vive Pro. I have seen G2’s on Gumtree from time to time for as little as $400. Anyway just my opinion. I have a G1 and can’t speak highly enough of it.

1 Like

Yeah, I finally hit the sweet spot with my G2 and my 3080Ti today. NIS 67% scaling with OXR 100% In Game 100% and EVERYTHING on ULTRA. WMR on Optimal Performance, and no re-projection. Totally amazing flights all day.

2 Likes