So Happy with VR

Happy you found it.
This is how I do too. However I can god up to 85 procent in scaling.
Have about the same setup as you
Everything Ultra and LOD 300
Quality and experience is amazing this way.
Average of 25fps in VR works for me.

Good you turned of motion reprojection. When I try that on I see strange things.
Happy flying man!!

1 Like

Hi, how can you do this ? Incredible.

1 Like

I bought an HP omen with very fast NVM ssd disks, fast memory and an 11700k processor.
This combined with an 3080 brought me here.
Tried so many videocards with my old setup.
1060/2060/3060/3060TI. With an i8700.
Good not get it right before. Now with this new machine its so much fun.
Was worth the investment.

First used a quest 2 for VR but with this setup including reverb g2 it finally works the way like it.
Also notice that I use the Nis scaler which seems to have helped to get fps stable with an amazing image. VR is amazing at the moment!!

Check out this might help you.

My LOD’s are 75 for Terrain and 50 for Buildings. That’s the real performance boost. Although I have Bing Maps and Photos ON, I turn the LOD’s way down.

There was this benchmark with VR done yesterday by another user. It says, objectLOD can be 200 without FPS hit.

Here is this graph:

4 Likes

In my system there is not an huge difference between 200 and 300.
Lod is affecting the CPU not the GPU
CPU is at 30/40% max.
I only fly in VR btw.

1 Like

Good to know. I’ll give higher values a try. I’m on the Beta and just getting started with VR. Love it. Real time and Live Weather can make for some nice challenging flights.

I just tried full LOD’s and it was butter smooth. I flew into CYVR Vancouver from FSDreamteam in the Hawk T1 from Justflight. My canopy iced up immediately after touchdown! No benchmarking, but just a nice experience.

I might give that a go but the last time I tried with MR off it was pretty stuttery with higher settings. I haven’t tried it off with NIS though so maybe that makes a difference. I’ve got a 5600X CPU which is fine generally for the sim but I find it does struggle with higher VR settings. Although with NIS and the new MR in the latest OXR I can push things fairly far with my G2 and RTX 3080.

1 Like

Isnt 67% NIS pretty blurry/grainy? I need about 80% to get acceptable clarity.

Ive stopped using the NIS tool though, the FPS/clarity ratio is better for me when i dont use it

Everything in VR is brurry/grainy. It’s about the same as 1080p in 2D. I’ve gone around and back again on the NIS tool. I think I would just rather have full resolution with lower LOD settings. I was trying to lower the “shimmering” by reducing trees and buildings, but if you lower those, then what’s the point of running high LOD’s? Might as well run full resolution with low LOD’s, turn up the “Ultras” on what you can see, and have butter smooth flying. And I bet this isn’t the end of the experimentation. :rofl:

Sure, i meant additional blurryness beyond the “looks like 1080p” though.

I prioritize FPS (must be 40+) and resolution over LOD and effrcts. LOD 100 is fine for me. I don’t see much difference to LOD 200 tbh, and above that it just needlessly kills FPS.

1 Like

Thats why I runn NIS at 85%.
Still goes with my 3080.
Super smooth.:

Yeah I don’t either particularly. A marginal bit of draw distance improvement but it doesn’t really suddenly make you go wow there’s a big difference.

I’d be hard pushed to tell the difference between high and ultra settings in VR. The marginal visual fidelity improvements between the two is kind of get mostly lost somewhere in VR. With clouds its noticeable but I find clouds set to high is acceptable and ultra does have a performance hit thats just not worth it, for me anyway.

With VR there’s a lot of six of one half a dozen of another when it comes to various settings and resolution scales. You can easily go around chasing your tail all day trying to dial in what you think will get you the perfect set of visual balances. There’s quite a lot of placebo effect going on sometimes too.

After upgrading my Quest 2 to a G2 a few weeks back I’ve fallen back in love with VR but its still such a faff. Its certainly become much better just in recent weeks with the new OXR, Nvidia drivers and now NIS but you’ve always got the impression its on the brink of greatness. Still relatively new tech of course.

2 Likes

Nis works in VR NOW ? Sorry for the question.

1 Like

Yes it does. Look in the forum you will find a tool to install. Makes sure that nis is not enabled in control panel.

1 Like

Yes, the latest version is configured via a ConfigUI exe. You don’t need the .cfg file anymore. And remember to bounce WMR after each change. Royal pain to test because rebooting the sim is a freaking crawl.

1 Like

This exactly! Of course, flight simming has a long history of tinkering. Funny how we just assume the sim is not going to work out of the box unless we tweak some setting. I get having the sliders so we can tune the sim to our hardware, but we are all too eager to look under the hood for those carburetor mixture screws. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Can you post a screen shot of your OXR status? I use the new NIS tool but my runtime shows Oculus, as the author stated WMR wasn’t required.