So it's fair to say...You really can't play VR unless you have a top of the line PC

Tv is not comparable to game frame rates.

2 Likes

Your eyes are the same, if biology says that eyes can’t percieve motion over 20Hz, it doesn’t matter if it’s TV or videogame. NTSC is 24fps, PAL is 25fps, people claiming that if it’s less than 90fps you can’t play with it fall in the same category of people claiming that they can hear the difference with their super-expensive, gold coated, holy water filled, human hairs wrapped, speaker cables.

Then the higher fps the better, yes. Below 50Hz you might feel flickering, etc., although most of the people is fine with it, or we would all be ripping our eyes off after a couple of hours under fluorescent light (indeed, some people is affected by long time under fluorescent light, I’m one of them, but it doesn’t make it “barely watchable”). Some of us might be old enough to remember when screens could not go about 50-60Hz at high resolution, I remember the days making video-editing on my 14" RCT at 1024x768 at 50Hz.

The point is claiming that it can’t be used. With my rift S I go at 30fps and it’s smooth and playable. I can see that it’s not as smooth as other programs, but IMHO, that’s not due to the frame but due to stuttering. I have the feeling that it’s due to my awful internet connection, but I’m not sure.

Water is wet, the sky is blue, women have secrets.

well, no. and the reason why games (especially shooters and the likes) play a lot better with a lot more than 25fps, like 90fps, or even up to 200+ fps, is a very different one than you think - even if you think it’s ■■■■■■■■. here, that’s a good read on some of the reasons: Why Does High FPS Matter For Esports? | GeForce News | NVIDIA

this does not really apply to flight simulators as much as it does to “esports” games, though.

1 Like

You are so so so so wrong. If you believe what you write ask yourself why companies bother with 60fps on consoles. You can definitely, 100%, feel difference between 30,60 and 90. If you can’t then you haven’t really tried or have something wrong with your brain.

FPS makes a massive difference in response time and especially in VR it is what makes it “believable” and btw the myth that eyes see in 30 fps or whatever is a total myth.

Response times, smoothness, all can be felt

5 Likes

Can you still not see a difference?

Then maybe it’s your eyes that don’t work good.

And I can’t believe we are having this conversation in 2020. 10 years ago, maybe. When console kids did not think 60 FPS mattered and all console manufacturers did not make an effort to increase FPS but today there are consoles literally marketed as capable of running high FPS and it’s pretty common knowledge that FPS matters.

2 Likes

I see difference on those videos only when it was slowed down.
Also 60fps on second video feels like much less then 60 (even with -25%).

Don’t look at the main character look how the world moves and objects move when the camera pans. THAT is what makes 30 fps sp bad. And on VR it takes away any realism because your eyes - unlike what you claim - don’t see the world in 25 fps. Otherwise why would any VR manufacturer bother with 90/120 hz+FPS mark? Just think logically.

1 Like

People… I wrote it. The more the better, yes. The point is that “barely playable at 30fps” is a complete exageration. At 30fps a flight simulator is perfectly playable.
Why consoles push to 60fps? Marketing. Like mobile phones with 40MPixel sensors with plastic lenses. Marketing. It’s just the variant of “I have it bigger than yours” for kids.
I honestly cannot see any major difference in those videos.

Once again, for human eyes, a smooth movement is already achieved with 20fps.
If we are talking of reaction times on FPS games where the ms of lagging on the internet connection could matter, it’s another story, but not for the smoothness of the movement.
Speed of the movements is also another story: when background or charachters move of a few pixels per second, fps doesn’t matter too much. When you have people jumping histerically from one side to the other of the scene like in a FPS, then having more frames give a better rendering but not because the movement would not be smooth, but because the movement would be too much between frames.

Once for all, I’m not saying that 60Hz is not better than 30Hz, I’m saying that you cannot claim that it’s not usable at 30Hz.

4 Likes

I understand you better now. Although I strongly disagree regarding 30 FPS. VR needs high VPS to reduce lag and increase motion smoothness and give the effect of reality. Low FPS on VR takes away any realism and this is why most VR games push for simpler graphics or artistic style to keep up 90 FPS and this is why even Half Life Alyx is not a particularly good looking or sophisticated game - graphically - if you watch it on 2d.

Anyway, I barely get 30 FPS lol in FS on VR, I’m thinking of upgrading but it’s a bad financial decision to upgradr to fly 1 hour per week. I’m thinking. My wife will kill me.

In some scenes the game jumps to 45 and the difference is massive it feels real then I go over a city and to 30 again and it’s super obvious that 45 is so much better. I would kill for 90 FPS on this sim in VR, but that seems far fetched you can barely get 90fps on ultra on 2D.

I know, I fully understand you. I tried hard during the beta to improve the settings but there was no way to go beyond 30fps for me, and it stays there stable. And I know that my PC can do better, because all other games have better fps, and believe me, I can see the difference a lot.
But for me what matters more is the smoothness, in the sense that 30fps stable are less annoying for me than 30-40-30-50-30 etc. Not to mentions when it freezes for some moment, or the white flashes once in a while. I still have to try it after the new update because I’m away from home and I don’t have the HOTAS with me (my biggest ■■■■■■■■ about the game is that they haven’t implemented VR controllers).

30 FPS in VR, hehe.

In the business, 90hz is pretty much universally accepted as the minimum for “good” VR. It is true, however, that for slow moving experiences such as civilian flight sims, half that (45fps)–providing it is rock solid–is generally considered quite usable as long as you’re not moving too wildly. For fast movers though like Star Wars Squadrons or Alyx, boosting to even higher than 90hz makes a difference (on a machine that can push it, watch the backgrounds in SWS at 90hz vs 120hz while quickly swinging the nose of your craft around and the difference should be immediately obvious). So why does it make a difference? Well most of it is about panning–and having a basis for comparison.

If you’ve gone to a theater and watched a movie at 24FPS it all looks well and good, and no not even I can see the individual frames; but, almost everyone will notice that when the camera pans quickly that the frames can be seen to be jumping. That’s the exact sort of thing that you do not want happening in VR unless you have an iron stomach (which some admittedly have), and which doesn’t really go away for most people until you’re up to around 90Hz. Now how much a particular individual can take is all very subjective, of course, but it remains quite real. Back in the CRT days when I did on-site software training for customers I would immediately notice when people had their monitors set to 60Hz and ask them how they could stand the flicker–and they would remark that they didn’t see it. After setting it to 72Hz or higher, many would say wow, that IS better! I also remember playing flight simulator II on my 1.5Mhz Atari 800XL at less than 5FPS and thinking it was amazing. This was because that’s just the way it was. But I also remember later seeing FS run on an 8Mhz Tandy 2000 and being floored by how much smoother it was. It was almost impossible to go back. That’s where having a good basis for comparison comes in when judging posts like these and people’s subjective experiences. Once you’ve flown a simulator in VR at high and stable frame rates, your ability to see the difference goes up tremendously. I don’t doubt anyone who finds 30FPS in FS2020 VR acceptable, but also know exactly why others are chuckling in the background.

4 Likes

I agree, but I think that (once again) you are missing the reason of my reply, which is the statement in the thread title “you really can’t play VR unless on the a top of the line PC”.
This is where I disagree. Not that 90Hz is better than 30Hz, or that 30Hz can be insufficient in certain scenarios, but that with 30fps you can’t use VR.
You can, it’s not the top, it’s not what you might want, but for a civilian FS it’s still good.

I don’t think this was addressed to me since mine was my first post to this thread. However, if it was, my reaction was not to any statement saying that you can’t use VR at 30fps (heck, you can use VR at 10fps if you really want to), but rather to your statement that “barely playable at 30fps” is a complete exageration [sic]." and “at 30fps a flight simulator is perfectly playable,” and why those kinds of statements might give some folks a chuckle. That’s all.

Better to make people chuckle than cry.
I remain of my opinion, 30fps on MSFS2020 is perfectly playable.
It doesn’t mean that I would get upset if I got 90fps, it means that “you can’t play VR if you don’t have a top machine” is just not true.

3 Likes

:grin:

I implemented CaptLucky8’s parameters and it definitely helped! With the Cessna 152 I am able to get 50-60fps consistently(depending on surroundings). However I am at my in-laws house who have terrible internet so it’s not using the bing satellite images and all.

I’m using a Quest 2 (link), 3600(bios OC), 3070(2090mhz), and 32gb (3200mhz).

Boeing 747 was getting 30fps consistently and other airplanes with more details than the Cessna 152 were getting around 45fps.

2 Likes

Hi there
Where is this CaptLucky8 guide? I cannot fint by searching here

Here’s his new one for the G2 but I haven’t tried it yet. You can find a link to his Index post in that post as well (the settings I’m using now).

1 Like

Thanks. It made wonders compared to my trials’n’errors.
Introdused some minor stutters now and then, but no deal breaker.

1 Like

■■■■■… another one of these arguments? I thought I only saw these on reddit 5 years ago :laughing: