So what are we expecting from update 7 & 8?

Edit: updated the information based on 11/12 developer update

Last 2 updates were all 1.10.x and nothing major has been changed. Based on the recent feedbacks/wish lists summarized by MSFS team, I don’t see anything slotted for update 7 & 8 either. What’s going on? Some speculations here

• update 7 = US Update - confirmed
  • update 8 = Xbox/D12 update?

Btw, update 9 (last one before 2021) used to be the Sim Update which was supposed to have G1000/3000 related fixes. It seems that the fixes are pushed to Feb 2021. Does that mean update 9 will just be a small update and the Sim Update will be Feb 20201?

What are your thoughts?

update 7 is bringing USA with better DEM, some landmarks and 5 detailed Airports.
So basically like the JAPAN Update but for the USA.

1 Like

They should fix more core problems in the sim first and then release the USA update.

Just my 2 cents.

33 Likes

I hope they include additional SDK support.

People are hanging out for xml and/or HTML support for MDL format aircraft.

Rule#1 is, or should be, fix the major bugs you have before launching new stuff.

Some documentation might be an idea. You can throw this sort of stuff at Flight Sim fans, who will have some idea how to use AP/ILS/etc. but not your average XBox user.

10 Likes

I doubt the xbox theater will be a success anyway. You can‘t shoot others down, you can‘t do serious flights on the xbox without the whole infrastructure of additional information addons. All you can do is fly around a little with your thumbsticks on your game controller and those who seriously buy a yoke and pedals will get a proper PC soon too. Let them see their xbox stuff die and then they‘ll be finally able to focus on the sim that was advertised.

39 Likes

I can’t play the 747, 787 and cessna 172G due to the sheer amount of bugs present in the behaviour of the plane and the AP’s. I do not care about anything else, I just want this to be fixed.

At this point FS2020 is just a VFR and a320 simulator.

8 Likes

I must admit I wondered about that. For a casual gamer once you’ve done the obvious things like fly round your house, there’s not much there there. Some of them will start casual and become sim fans no doubt. I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of Missions/Tutorials in the product.

If I was running it, I think I’d open up the missions so anyone can have a go at creating them. You’d get a lot of dross, but there’d be a lot of good stuff, and then there’s stuff for people to do that’s channelled (and of course they could be tutorial missions as on FSX).

Maybe they’re going to add shooting things. My first thought on gathering this was an XBox product as well was “they’re going to want to fly Spitfires (or whatever) and shoot things down”

2 Likes

Is the USA thing that bad ? Flying round Europe the things that are obviously wrong I’ve seen are things like Disneyland Paris (which you wouldn’t expect to be right) but in terms of general geography it’s great (apart from the obsession with trees !). Apart from the activities haven’t flown in the USA yet, but it looks the same quality.

1 Like

One thing to bear in mind is like most dev teams, they probably have 2 separate teams working on content and bug fixes so saying ‘fix the bugs first’ means nothing. They are likely going as fast as they can.

15 Likes

More pretty Pictures, and flying in chase view in a 747 1 meter over the street screaming hey mom I can see our house! Is what this game is headed for. They should have been honest at the outset and said they are not making a sim, but a game, or they are making a game first then a sim.

No reason it cant be both, but if they carry on like this nobody with more serious intentions will buy addons for it and it will be flooded with nickel & dime dumbed down planes and scenery packages. Crazy really, fix the core issues for god sakes, or hire addon developers, if they hired certain addon devs the major issues would be fixed within 2 patches or at the very least the sim would be 100% better, but no, we need to release prettier graphics.

15 Likes

It’s funny how people seem to think the Devs only have one area they work on, regardless of the game/sim it’s quite a common theme that “they should fix X before bringing new content” when it’s clear that that’s different Devs working on content then there are working on code and other areas.

A little education in Game Design is what’s needed, not assumptions that all devs work on the same thing!

20 Likes

Indeed. But one has to question the distribution. For example, there is no documentation at all, apart from the very limited training scenarios. Is there not one person working documenting how the G1000 works etc ? If so, where is it ? If not, why not ?

This is not a game in the classic sense of the word. Games, you can get the engine fairly solid and your bugs are “well, if you see Jim before Fred you can’t open the gate whatever you do” issues.

This is far more fundamental than that.

2 Likes

We havent even got update 6. Judging by the version numbers, we got 2 hotfixes after update 5.

4 Likes

Only one thing I hope they upgrade in the near future. Graphics quality as they
are at the beginning.
I remember to see the buildings graphics clean and perfect, now they look dirty, grey, bad resolution.
I don’t know if it is my mind but is what I can see for example looking manhattan, even in ultra look grey. I’ve never been in New York, but if it is like in sim I’ll never go :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unlikely it’s the same people working on sim, AP, avionics fixes as are working on updating the world data. So it’s not really a question of one or the other.

Dx12 will take atleast 6 months. Probably around June next year.

The problem with the updates, is that asobo do not test them! Looks like that they launch the update but does not fly to test the new stuff, to chech if the updates really changed what suposed to be fixed (I still have problems with lightning and AP). They should check what happened to the simulator after the update, flying, and not just “ok, the lines of code are ok, so the sim should be ok too”

4 Likes

Even this will be disappointing to the gamers - most houses (when they exist) are not at all like real life, so their reaction is more likely to be “hey mom, they’ve turned our house into a block of flats”.

Like other comments, I think this type of flight sim will never appeal to a large number of gamers, not only because of the lack of “exciting” missions, but also due to the large amount of learning necessary to do anything other than crash a plane. MS first tried heading in this direction with FSX, with the inclusion of missions and a change in marketing. Not a success then either, even though FSX had passable documentation to help people get started.

5 Likes

Update 7 is USA (and some fix/add too propably, like for japan)
DX12 will take more times, i’m not waiting for it until mid 2021.

it could be nice to have a replay functionnality coming. And SDK to trully progress.
and clouds back to a better visual, like night lighting.
Perhaps Update 8 will see VR coming.

1 Like