So what's the Best VR headset to use in MFS so far?

So I got the quest 2 yesterday. Before I had the HTC Vive.
The upgrade was really worth it.
Almost no Screendoor noticable.
FOV is about the same as the HTC Vive. But I can live with that. Feels like you watching it with Scuba Goggles.
After following some performance tips here in the forum I get quite a good smooth framrate with my I7 7700k and 1080ti.

Perfect for fly in a cessna for making vfr flights.
Today I`m gonna try it wireless with the “Virtual Desktop” app.

4 Likes

I just order the Quest 2 i will be doing some comparison with G2 side by side. I have a feeling I’ll be receiving the quest 2 much faster since i am closer to New York than where the G2 is being ship from.

2 Likes

Bit offtopic, but what graphics card do you have?

Please do, I am super interested in reading an in-depth review of the experience in both headsets, specially regarding the readability of the ariliner’s instruments.
I am thinking about upgrading to the g2 in the future once I save the money

1 Like

I have 2 rig one has an old 1080 Ti that performs very well. My CPU is OC to 5.1, aside from that i have an RTX 3090 setup for other purposes. If my 1080 Ti hold of for VR then i won’t need to switch it from my other rig. If doesn’t then I’ll just switch from one GPU to the other

1 Like

Honestly this my first experience for VR. I’ve been wanted to try it for some time now. I just don’t know if the hype is that real as i saw in several video. Someone told me watching VR game play won’t get me hype up for VR as i am not seeing the 3D display as seen when you are in VR.

Concerning VR headsets, I’m coming over from the original Rift CV1 and the IL-2 Great Battles series which is a simply awesome VR experience, it using WW2 era aircraft which lends itself to maneuvers you normally wouldn’t try in a civilian flight sim - save for the Pitts that is!

The first time I tried VR and put on the headset I was astounded. It was one of their Spitfire models and when I banked it right I swore I could feel myself slide to one sliding to the outside of my seat. All your senses tell you this is what your experiencing. The experience could ONLY be surpassed in my mind by physically piloting the actual aircraft in real life - which of course I knew was a snowballs chance in you-know-where. So unless some new tech tops VR in the future, this really is as real as it gets.

I then jumped into the Rift-S when it came out and saw a notch up with the resolution factor. It wasn’t a huge step up in clarity, but it was noticeable. But here is where things with VR got interesting and took a twist for me…

With the launch of the G2 I’ve decided to abandon the Oculus route, for several reasons. One was the fact that Oculus, which is a division of Facebook, decided to go start the Quest line instead of building on the Rift lineup coupled with the requirement to register your headset through Facebook (which I’m not a fan of) was one big reason. The other biggie was the eye per eye resolution of the G2, which for me I felt left the Quest in the dust. Watching all the reviews in side by side comparisons sealed the deal, at least for me it did.

The G2 arrived at my doorstep just days after VR implementation was released for FS2020 and at first it was a letdown of sorts as the thing ran like a borderline slideshow with my graphics settings I had hoped to run it on. But, and it’s a BIG but - once you scan the forums here there are numerous topics on how to achieve much better frame rates and not sacrifice too much in the way of eye candy (which is a big thing for me). Coupled with the fact that this is new territory for FS2020 and indeed HP will be getting feedback as well with their new G2, I only see better things happening in the near future towards optimization.

Right now I have my Rift-S boxed back up and didn’t even try it with FS2020 as I knew straight away the resolution couldn’t compete with the G2 in that regard. The only glitch I ran into was trying to run HDR along side of the G2 within FS2020 - VR within the sim simply would not run. But once I got the que here to turn off HDR it loaded just as it should. The only thing with the G2 I’ve noticed is it has a relatively small “sweet spot” and as you get into VR you’ll know what that pertains to.

Overall I have no regrets in regards to plopping down the money to switch to the HP G2 route and the team at Asobo and the beta testers really did an outstanding job in regards to all of this. One big attribute to FS2020 is the inclusion of two menus within the graphics option - one for PC (2D) amd one for VR. Extremely handy to have!

Like I said, I think we will see even more improvements down the line as things get tweaked even further and yes, as with all things tech-wise related to computer gaming, I’m sold on VR and will most likely plop down yet more money on the next best greatest headset as well.

VR especially in regards to flight has to be experienced, not explained, it’s that good.

3 Likes

There is no comparison. That “someone” you mentioned is right. It has to be experienced.

Too bad you didn’t live close by or I’d be more than happy to show you what that means. One buddy of mine tried it in the IL-2 sim and had to yank the headset off as he sent the aircraft into a spiral spin and felt like he was going to loose his cookies. He was fine flying straight and level, but that maneuver sent his physical system into an uproar of panic! His words were after he calmed down a bit was “I don’t see how you guys do that” - lol…

1 Like

Absolutely correct. You can not ‘see’ VR on a 2d captured vdeo. VR is just like looking into another real world.

1 Like

LOL those type of feedback is what got me to purchase 2 VR headset. One to try it with my friends while i’m on vacation and see if they experience the same experience your buddy did. The other one will most likely be use for flightsim and maybe other games.

1 Like

Now i’m all hype!! At first glance at the videos on youtube i said to myself how good can this be. But seeing you guys feedback got me like a little kid waiting for Santa .

1 Like

When I finally decided to get into VR, I said to myself i need to purchase the headset that was first use to test VR while it was being implemented. I know there were others besides the G2 maybe use in Beta but i said let me just go with the one with the most support at the time. Then as i read several posts I understood that other headset like the Quest 2 or Rift S also performs exceptionally well.

1 Like

I think you need to supersample for OpenXR some and then run MSFS at 100% TAA to get rid of that distance blur.

I will try that, I still have not understood exactly what is openxr and how to use it, but I will check the froum guides once I am back home on the 7th! Thanks :wink:

Coming from Rift S I have been very happy with my Reverb G2.
Running MSFS at 70% resolution with Open XR. Looks great and get good enough performance. It could always be better but I am satisfied as it is.

4 Likes

You can either use the “Oculus Debug Tool” (look for its location on the web, it comes installed but you gotta find the exe) or you can download the third party “Oculus Tray Tool”. Both allow you to supersample.

My best “balanced” results right now on the Rift S are 1.2 (120%) supersample in the tray tool with ASW mode at 30Hz and the MSFS profile I created having CPU Priority set to high.

In game I’m on 100% resolution with TAA. YMMV so tinker with it. Regardless, we’re all a little screwed until something with the CPU performance is adjusted (fingers crossed on DX12) or we wait a year or two to get a beefy new CPU :confused:

Edit: If you get stuck on all this supersample bs, just reply to me here for help so I get an alert on the forums and I’ll followup as needed.

3 Likes

The video shows some performance with the quest 2 . I was very surprise even others aswell thought it was the G2 . (14) MSFS 2020 VR - Oculus Quest 2 - RTX 3090 - Virtual Reality - Miami - YouTube

Great comments I might as well start out with the Quest 2 and get the G2 later down the road. This will be my first time going to VR after spending quite sometime flying on 27inch monitor and I have been hearing about this link cable.Is it necessary?

You can use a good USB C cable. Doenst have to be the original cable. Recomend a 3m cable. I bought mine for 18usd in Switzerland. Use Google for find a recommended cable.

It really works well with my 1080ti card. And I’m satisfied with the vr experience with the quest 2.

2 Likes

That’s encouraging and I have never used VR before .Looking forward to the experience!