Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

Great thanks. According to benchmark testing the K (and KF) have about 6% better performance over the 9700, only small benefit.

I don’t know, my specs are similar to yours new ones: RTX2060 SUPER OC, I5 9600KF OC, 2880x1620, all on ULTRA except clouds to MEDIUM, 150 terrain, 100 objects, I’m getting stable 25/30fps in the busiest and heaviest places (London City Airport from ORBIX with minimum to none stutters, as an example) while getting 50fps everywhere else.
I admit that I am a super nerd kinda guy so I super optimized my system and Overclocked both GPU and CPU to the maximum possible. The best FPS gain I got thanks to the couple suggestions posted above regarding Win10 fullscreen optimization off and high dpi scaling.(https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/solution-for-stutters-pauses/198328/168?u=rizal72)
However I am enjoying the game so much!
People got to understand that 25/30fps in a Flight Simulator is perfectly acceptable, it’s not Overwatch/Fornite/CoD we are talking about.

1 Like

I know, a lot of people say that 30 fps is perfectly adequate and that the human eye cannot detect a framerate greater than this.

Unfortunately, though, it doesn’t stop me wanting 60 fps :relaxed:.

Must turn off the framerate counter !

3 Likes

I agree. I don’t want to get rid of my clouds in quality ultra. The game is perfectly smooth, except a few stutters from time to time.

24 fps is the minimum… Movies used 24fps…

1 Like

Exactly, 25 as a minimum and 50/60 as a maximum, depending on the complexity of the scene.
However, even at 24FPS is more than playable IMHO. That said, everyone has different expectations, the Game has yet so much margin to be optimized and it will be, but as a long time X-Plane player I’ve never been so amazed like I am now with MSFS. I know, I like to see the glass half full, but having played the fist Flight Simulator ever in history, I can say that never my imagination could foresee what we have now.
Cheers

1 Like

Nothing wrong with seeing a glass half full. Far from it. I’m also a long term Xplane user and I am enjoying FS 2020 also.

Hopefully, after a few optimisations and stutter reductions we’ll soon have a good sim. Waiting for a decent study level GA and then the fun will really start!

On the flip side though I’m also wanting Xplane to respond in a positive way to the competition so that we will then have two great sims with slightly different slants.

3 Likes

A can fully agree with you.
Both flight sims have there cons and pros.
X-Plane has the advantage of a lot of addons, aircraft and airports.

2 Likes

Fix for those who are facing CTD’s on installing/mid flight, main menu. CTDs Temporary Fix (Awaiting Patch)

1 Like

Don’t fool yourself, I have one i7-9700 with an RTX 2060 super and have stutters and pauzes too.

3 Likes

ACK. It’s up to your imagination what the combination of technologies will bring for future enhancements and possibilities. This is not a game, this is a platform.

2 Likes

Yes but it is way to early to launch! Should waited at least one year more and get everything working.

HAGS produced a visibly different result for me, instead of getting a 15-20 FPS drop during scenery loading ( which is when you see most of these stutters as it typically spikes the CPU, and if your CPU is spiked and overtasked, you lose system performance globally.

HAGS made the GPU compensate, i noticed a quite exceptional increase in GPU Usage during scenery loading, the CPU stopped spiking as hard and the GPU would stay at the same levels instead of dropping down to almost zero during loading.

The stutters reduced their FPS number drop, from the above mentioned 15-20 to just 5-10 FPS.

1 Like

Oh, am I having déjà vu again? :blush:

From generation to generation of FS are the same things: magic bullets and snake oils from third party sellers. I am afraid it is a waste of your precious time, my flightsim brothers. In this community, we call it Sport, but the one which is not related to flying.

For me, Geforce Experience is like Xbox Beta Application – “the fifth leg for the cow” as they say.

To spend 1500-2000 EUR to get extra10-15 FPS is not an option either.

So, I dare to suggest the following:

• Realistic settings in FS2020;
  • DISABLED Vsync + 30 FPS limit in your GPU driver panel;
  • Wait for the binary code optimization.

I believe in Asobo. They are good guys. It is certain that they will learn quickly how flight simulators should be optimized.

In my short historical note, I wish to remind you that the legendary MS FSX was also heavily overloaded for its maiden take-off and MS/Aces Studio had many “Stall” warnings on the brink of disaster. Later on, it turned out that Vista OS and bad Nvidia drivers were also contributing to the performance problem. Aces Studio were quick to react at that time to improve FSX performance with their SPs. Now, many years later, FSX runs flawlessly on the latest update of Windows 10. FSX has the same binary code under the hood and only shared C++ libraries were updated.

P. S. [Important] I presume that your Swap file management is set to Automatically manage paging file size for all drives (not as suggested by local Administrators).

4 Likes

Look at the timing in your video. You have 2 stutters which happens every time with the same periodicity : Xminutes:20seconds and Xminutes:45seconds.
Each of the two stutters are spaced by 60 seconds.
I already talked about it here : ATC Stuttering (js fix workaround) + 60 seconds Stuttering

Generally, when I have this kind of stuttering, it’s only one every 60 seconds but this kind of multiple instances (like in your video) already happened to me.

I really think it’s more linked to the js layer (menus/windows, garmin display, etc.) rather than the 3d game engine. The precise pattern of this stuttering reveals that it should be caused by a kind of timed/automatised process.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for this @Erkinn31 . Considering I don’t really use any of the UI elements I’m going to go disable the majority of them and hopefully get rid of that dreadful stutter.

Sorry for the false hope but my first post on my topic is outdated. Since the last update, this solution doesn’t works anymore.
At least for me, but you can try, removing useless menus is still useful I think as they have some listeners open on various things, like the flight plan.

For me, with a i7 9700kf now its different. Not o ly stutters about now. First the cou usage go from 50% to 100% them stutterings for seconds so the cpu come back to 50% usage and stabilize. Looping

This is hands down the best fix for making the framerate more consistent.

Watch out for Windows 10 ‘Runtime Broker’ service. MS say to disable it if it’s using more than 15% of memory. Mine was using 30% as far as I could determine. On some computers people have stated that it’s been using up-to 1GB of memory! This is probably due to a faulty app’ on their system. I discovered this by chance and queried what the service does and that’s when I discovered there can be problems causing performance loss on computers. ‘Runtime BREAKER’ :grin: Charles