Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

Saw a big improvement generally with stutters and pauses after patch 1.8.3. In areas like LA the exaggerated pauses and stutters appear to be gone, although overall FPS have not changed. The instrument refresh rate option in settings is a step in the right direction, but should have been able to be applied to aircraft individually rather than as a blanket setting for all aircraft. While the TMB has a digital cockpit, its refresh rate was very low anyway, so reducing refresh rates to suit the A320 result in very jerky instruments in the TMB. As a result I will still be using the refresh rate fixes available (now updated for 1.8.3) for aircraft instruments, which target aircraft individually.

Off topic but the A320’s over high nose up angle on approach has been addressed, and I can at last see the runway on approach. Yay!

So overall a definite improvement after the patch. Thanks Asobo. :grin:

4 Likes

Unfortunately I have a severe impact at the performance of flight simulator after the new update. Before the new patch I have had about 30 FPS with all sliders at maximum and with 4k resolution on my 62 inch display. I was very happy and enjoyed the new flight simulator. After the installation of the new update I have seriously a massive impact of FPS even if I set the main slider at medium. At the other side the simulation needs noticeably more time to load a scenery. If I set the slider for “rendering scaling” from 200 to 100 and with “clear sky” I get playable FPS under 30, but the game does not look as good as before. If I set the slider for renderin scaling above 140-150 I get FPS down to 10 and the game is not playable more. And if I run the simulation at rendring scaling 100 with cloudy sky I have again FPS down to 10. If I change the rendering scaling during a flight then the simulation crashes.

My PC specification

CPU AMD Rayzen 7 3700x

GPU ASUS ROG Strix Nvidia RTX 2080S 8GB

RAM 32GB/3200 Corsair Venegeance

Hard SSD PCIe 4.0 x4 Corsair Force Series MP600

Windows 10 Home

:sob: :sob: :sob:

I think the devs have optimized the code for Intel, at the detriment of AMD.

I have a Ryzen 3950x and now get random 1/2 second pauses which never occurred until the recent patch.

I’m curious what kind of hardware the devs are using to code the sim…

I have an Intel and the same problem
i want back to the last patch :frowning:

Only the future will tell us.

A DirectX 12 upgrade as soon as possible…

1 Like

A way to roll back, or isolate updates so users can “Opt In” or not, would be ideal.

This would help the process of overall incremental improvement because updates would be more thoroughly tested before general release, with the value of real world user feedback. I’m certain there’d be many people volunteering to help.

I’d be happy to have both the current release and “potential update candidate” versions on my PC and to help with feedback.

Developing updates with only “in house” testing is clearly not producing the optimum outcomes.

Asobo will only give this consideration if enough people suggest it to them and highlight the mutual benefit.

Naw I get them as well Intel here only after patch 2

I think it is scenery loading in and depends on how busy the servers are and how fast your connection is.

I understand you saw a regression on fps side after patch and I feel for you for sure, but Render scale at 200% mean AFAIK your sim compute the output picture at 7680x4320 before down-scaling it at your monitor resolution 3840x2160, with all other settings kept at ultra. Those settings need a computer that don’t exist yet IMHO. I have a GTX 1080 and can barely stay at 60fps with a mix of mid/high/ultra settings, and 45/55fps over NY.
I only have 2.072.600 pixels to fill (1080p), and you ask for 33.177.600 pixels to display (16x more). Your CPU and GPU combination, as very good as they are, are not 16 times more powerful than my configuration… Or did I miss something (possibly)?

Edit: forget to say my CPU is an I7 3770K OC at 4,4Ghz, 16GB DDR3 RAM and my GTX is OC +150/+400.

Edit2 : Keep in mind I have a 60fps limiter set in my NVidia control panel, that’s why I’m GPU limited, and that’s good. Without I will have slightly more fps than 60…

comp

1 Like

I noticed scenery loading gives micro stutters from time to time, this happens only the first time you fly the place, next time, it does not happen if scenery is still in rolling cache

I noticed also even scenery loading uses a continuous bandwidth of 500kb/s to 1Mb/s so very small compared to my 600 Mb/s internet wifi bandwidth, micro stutters still occurs sometimes (guess probably due to servers)

Do you have any recording on?

I noticed that if I start recording it stutters very badly the first time.
I have to start it, stop it after 5 seconds, then restart it and the stuttering is gone.
I also had to turn off the constantly recording replay feature, as that also made the sim stutter - and because it is always on I guess it starts stuttered, and then stays that way.

The latest patch has vastly improved microstutters for myself on my poor i5-4670K.

Sure, CPU is still maxed out most of the time, but the overall experience is much better.

I’m not losing it, right? Still getting occasional stutters on a 10900k/32GB@3600mhz ram/1080ti on a sensible mix of ultra and high settings. They aren’t massive, but annoying judders that are distracting when taking off and such. I also don’t notice any major FPS drops when they happen.

Seems to be related to scenery loading and around large airports KSEA, JFK etc. Also seems much more noticeable in faster planes like the Longitude. Is this some sort of server load issue? As I also have 1Gbps internet.

Getting a 3080 soon, but please tell me that others are still seeing similar issues. I’ve tweaked every last end of my system and nothing seems to really matter.

3 Likes

me too, mate

Yes, getting stutters, especially round complex airport and big cities. Also, more stutters appear when changing weather or time of day during a flight.
Running 9900K OC to 5GHz with 2080ti, setting mixture between high and ultra.
I have a feeling that the stutters and freezes are a little improved afterthe recent patch, but definitely not gone, still there.

2 Likes

Same here. 10700@5.0, 2070, 32gb 3600, SSD. Stutters when loading scenery and after some time just becoming worse and worse. Had it slightly before but after patch 2 its horrible !

No better FPS after update on my 2500K as well…more the opposite, feels like I have lost about 5 FPS compared to the old version…

I lost FPS with the latest nvidia drivers. I went back to version 452.06 and the performance came back.