Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

Same here as well

My god dude, it works brilliantly! Thank you.

1 Like

Your V-sync experiments are interesting, I will try that later.

A reminder to all: Keep topics on topic and not on each other.

1 Like

Where is the solution, since Asobo hasn’t one themselves?
All these “snake oil” tips, like disabling fullscreen optimisation, increasing page-file, they might work to some small extend, but the general picture is, heavily decreased visual fidelity while performance steadily went down. And with every developer video more talk of how the “sim” is getting more optimised every time.

Uploading: IMG_20210419_161243.jpg…

Hi.
Would like to post my experience with performance-settings issues, maybe will help someone.

My problem was no matter what graphic settings or resolution in game, places like KMIA, LIRN, EGLL, LFPO, EHAM…etc gave me no more then 20ish FPS, no matter what airplane or weather type. (CPU/GPU usage never over 50-60%, temps arround 50C) Find a bit strange those results. After long days of reading and research and playing with settings instead of flying …not much improvement.

Until yesterday

So here are my settings* (Intel/Nvidia users) which boosted my FPS from 20ish to stable 60-70 in before critical areas.

Windows 10

• Game mode OFF (try On too)
  • GPU scheduling ON (if available)
  • Scale 100% (display settings)
  • CPU priority FlightSimulator.exe file (default windows)
  • Pagefile 16384MB fixed or 8192-16384 (windows default 4GB fps drops cities)

Nvidia panel windows 3D (global)

• DSR off
  • sharpen off
  • Latency mode off
  • FXAA off !

Nvidia Profile Inspector - MSFS profile selected

• Power management Prefer Max
  • Texture filtering quality - High Performance
  • *Threaded optimization OFF (i know many suggestions are ON)
  • Vsync Force on (in sim to OFF)

*Threaded optimization to OFF was major step forward in my case of settings combo, now i can fly and land any plane in any weather without FPS drops with vsync on. Also now can adjust graphic settings in MSFS and affects the GPU and CPU usage…finally :slight_smile:

MSFS vsync…stil get some micro stutters even fps are over 60 when disabled
Frame limiter: ok but tearing when turning headview
Nvidia vsync - smooth experience overall

MSFS - rolling cache set to 64GB, Bing on, photo on…etc all on
All ingame overlays off except Geforce Experience (for me)

For MSFS purpose running Win primary at 2560x1440 - 30Hz (better than 60Hz/half sync in my case)
secondary 1920x1080 - 30Hz.
PC: i9-10900KF @5.0 all cores, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 1TB M.2 + 2x2TB HDD RAID1, W10PRO.

Test flights 200-400nm range over diverse populated terrain at different FL using A32NX 0.6 and dev version with multiplayer ALL players visible plus AI traffic at 65%, other community addons OFF.

Sorry for my bad English
Hope someone find it usefull.

6 Likes

Asobo are you listening? Needs tuh naz.

Works perfect, even without going to 30 hz. Thank you
Edit: Specs: I6700, GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM
Edit2: The only thing i can ad is prefer max performance for nvidia texture quality

1 Like

You are welcome and yes Sir, tested that option too, forgot to mention. Thank you
(added in post above)

Unfortunately makes no difference for me using the above settings, stutter-fest slideshow on my latest approach and landing. :worried:
i9 10900X
RTX 3070
32Gb Ram
1 TB SSD
1440p

EDIT: during the final approach phase, FPS shot back up to 30-35, then back down to 15-20 once on the ground. But this has happened before

2 Likes

Just completed another flight, this time with my previous settings and I had mostly smooth 30-35 FPS. There was a small section in the approach phase where it dipped to 15-20 FPS with stutters, but only lasted or 2-3 minutes. These approach drops in FPS and stutters are I believe network or server related as they are intermittent. If it was an issue with my settings/game problem then they would be present every flight

Yes sadly could be so, i said it worked for me. Days of testing. When FPS drop occurs - CPU or GPU at 100% or what happened? Limited thread or what was the case? Sometimes just need some time to draw the scenery. Mostly 30-35 is too low should be 50+.There are so many variables that could go sideways. It is a combination with graphic settings in simulator. If any or some are set too high, there comes fps drops later or stutter out of nowhere, at last in my case. I run normally at 4K / 30Hz with 80-90% render and still no problems. My goal is to fly constant 30fps and max. visual quality possible. Dont like gpu/cpu at 100% all the time… Monitor your pagefile size, you could set it fixed (maybe better) or higher to 32GB, tested that too and worked fine or try GPU scheduling OFF, works here also ok. Try set simulator to medium and then go with settings notch by notch up and monitor dev mode fps… aim all green (offline, AI traffic off). Also try to monitor CPU per core usage… Mine 20th core get beaten all the time :slight_smile: Did you check mobo and GPU firmware since u running 3070?

As you can see there is plenty of performance left in GPU…but not on all airports and scenarios the same.
Also when sim graphic settings are set too high there are no resources available so lag, stutters… bad flying :slight_smile: system cant keep up with given workload or by bad optimization resulting in low quality visuals.
Weather was nice, otherwise if bad weather -2FPS (clouds set to high), Multiplayer Live, AI traffic off.

Thank you for your testing effort and your detailed write-up. I wish I could say any of these worked for me, but I’m still getting terrible performance and the simulator is unusable.
I’ve tried:

• Reinstalling windows completely
  • Reinstalling MSFS
  • Reverting NVIDIA drivers
  • Every performance optimization tip on this forum

And nothing seems to work. At this point, I think it has to be related to the latest WU4 update. I’m on 1.15.8.0, so the hot fix didn’t do anything to help either.

My latest “flight” after spending days on the above troubleshooting steps:

2 Likes

Ah i can see, hope you find solution somehow. I dont know your specs or settings. I started like this - Try lowest settings at lowest supported resolution with all addons, multiplayer, AI traffic set to off. Restart simulator after set to low of the lowest. Run win task manager or some monitoring software in background and monitor cpu gpu memory and network loads and temperatures during test flight or activity in sim. (I ve got issue with win default antivirus.exe…RAM usage during MSFS over 10GB). If you can see much better FPS (visuals will be awfull) then set up the sim slowly up to prefered settings, otherwise i think might be hardware or software issue non related to the MSFS. Other games or some demanding apps running ok on this system?

Looking bit funky but for test purpose

oh no that must have been a nightmare reinstalling windows and the sim …i feel your pain
Was that with multiplayer on?
best wishes

Computer specs:

Intel core i7-7700k CPU @ 4.2GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTC 1080Ti
Running Windows 10 Home, version 2004 OS Build 19041.928

Could probably add more RAM, but MSFS was running perfectly until around last Thursday when I started having issues.

Unfortunately, I was an idiot and “Reset” MSFS under app settings, hoping to get back to some version of stock/fresh install, without realizing it would pretty much delete the entire game and require me to download all 172GB of the f’n game again. I’m very close to my monthly data cap from my ISP as I’ve now downloaded this thing 3times in the past week, so I’m afraid I can’t do anything else until we get to May and my data cap resets. Oh well, MSFS…I guess I’ll just move to X-Plane.

1 Like

Flying XP11 for years, not much better fps when orthoXP and good airliner adds up.
Hope you find some fps, your system is capable doing stunts like these :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah thanks. Like I said, it was pure butter on ULTRA prior to last Thursday (WU4 release I think), so this has to be something related to that.

Yes, latest update plus Nividia latest drivers wasnt good combination. For test you can use 452.06 driver the first one for MSFS i think, runs smooth and fastest of all i tested.