Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

Yea it’s just the glass cockpit that let the game stutter….

Obviously not but I get no real issues in any other aircraft. Maybe the 787 but nothing as much as the 320

1 Like

Yea same here a320 and the 787 are very poor

TBF the freeware A320 FBW is an ongoing project, by far still not the finished article and once they have everything included and working properly I’m sure they will get down to more perfomance tuning.

1 Like

Yea that can be true.

Was very unhappy after the SU5 update. SU5 turned my mostly smooth MSFS turned into a total stutter fest.

Then thought back to this post I started so long ago, and the one thing that had worked - Process Lasso (No 46 in the 1st post). Thought it worth a go and used Process Lasso to disable “Windows dynamic thread priority boost” on Flightsimulator.exe. WOW what a difference. Smooth as silk now.

Compare the FPS meter in the 2 screen shots below. Same location, same aircraft, same SU5 install, same MSFS settings, same computer, the only difference was Process Lasso.

After SU5 - total stutter fest. Notice the wildly fluctuating values.

After SU5 with Process Lasso. Notice all the consistent values.

To use Process Lasso (at your own risk)
. wait until you have started MSFS (but you don’t have to wait until it is fully loaded)
. Open process Lasso
. Click on the “Active Processes” tab
. Right click on flightsimulator.exe → then select → Priority Class → Always
. Remove the tick from Windows Dynamic Thread Priority Boosts enabled (*)
. Repeat the process for Priority Class → Current

Close Process Lasso, and it should just minimize to the task bar. Make sure you have Process Lasso to start with Windows and you won’t have to take any further action as Process Lasso will remember the setting for MSFS. As it is the freeware version you will eventually get a popup message to acknowledge each time Windows boots, but this is a small price to pay for the improvement it brings to MSFS. Note:- in the past Asobo eventually fixed the problem and Process Lasso was no longer required.

4 Likes

tbf mine looks like the 2nd pic and I have never used or installed process lasso, so while this may be a fix I’d say there’s something not right with your PC.

1 Like

these is the most important info … what ever goes strange with your system, but normaly such settings are uneccessary and dangerous.

1 Like

There’s nothing (obvious) wrong with my PC, its just different to yours. There are enough posts on this forum from users who have similar problems after the update. In the past I had no problems while others had problems, now it my turn to have problems. But luckily I found a solution, and it may just help others with the same problem. No idea why this works for me but is not needed for you, but probably not a surprise with the number of combinations of Windows settings and hardware available. But MSFS is now running much better than before the update, and the solution I thought was worth sharing

2 Likes

Drivers up to date, software up to date, overclocks properly benched and tested and then I let Windows update take care of the rest.

It works for me.

It’s always worth sharing something if it works for you.

Unfortunately, Process Lasso has never done much for my system but as you say, every system is different and there’s always a chance that it could help somebody else too, so thanks for the heads up :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Had big problems with 20-30 second stutters every minute or two with SU5
Eventually narrowed to freezing when my RTX 3080 vastly exceeded 320 Watts using MSI Afterburner’s graphs.

Set power limit to 80% in MSI Afterburner, which keeps power usage just a hair under 320W at all times, and the problem went away entirely. Hope it helps!

Specs:
i7 8700k @ 5GHz
RTX 3080 (Gigabyte Gaming OC)
32GB 3200MHz DDR4
5GB/s 1TB NVMe M.2

3 Likes

I don’t want to jump the gun but I think this may have worked for me aswell. Thank you for posting your results! Been flying now for 15mins with no freezing!

I5-8600
Gtx 1080
32gb

Edit… I am still getting freezing. :pensive:

My hero :hot_face: :weary:

Interesting? Were they still on their stock overclocks or have you all been boosting with Afterburner?

I tried this, but Lasso says tha option was already unabled, tried the MSI Afterburner solution, didn’t do anything either, i can play well, but 4 FPS in the manu is depressing.

I guess some Windows installations must have it disabled by default.

Lasso is a known problem and must be disabled/uninstalled until there’s a fix.

No cure for me either…

Update: Had some freezes last night in the a32nx even with the Power Limit set way down, so perhaps this isn’t the only issue causing stuttering. Lowering definitely reduced the frequency of pauses for me, sadly not eliminated completely :frowning: