Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

The very latest Riva tuner update stopped my pauses and crackles, they specifically mention it’s for MSFS2020.

1 Like

Define your stutters. With SU 5 I am getting stutters every 5 minutes or so that last anywhere from 30 seconds to up to 2 minutes in one case. FlightSim shows as not responding in task manager but if you wait it will start responding again. No longer a live with it option.

I wish they offered an opt-out for these garbage updates as now the game is completely unplayable. Since it is a digital download I don’t even have a set of coasters that I can use to place my cups on. I’d take the microstutters and lower fps with SU4 as opposed to these new macrostutters and freezing in SU5.

Yep pretty much this - it’s not micro-stutters, which I’ve had before. They’re now gone.
The SU5 freezes I get are very long (10-60sec) that happen every few minutes.

4 Likes

Just stumbled across this post after a google search as I’m suffering the same exact stuttering issue with SU5. It’s really really bad guys, this needs a fix fast. I’m happy at 50fps, and then every 5-10 minutes I get a stutter which can last a minute or two and MSFS says not responding. Then it comes back. I dont use Lasso, so that’s definitely not the cause for me. I’ve never had this before till SU5

1 Like

Yeah same, really long pauses that can last up from 30 secs to a min

2 Likes

Higher framerates higher temperatures, that is all I have to say about it.

1 Like

Not related to temps. I have AC in my office and GPU fan cranked to 100%. Temperature stays below 50C

2 Likes

PSU maybe? or internet adapter, I can’t really know. Have you tried offline mode?

Bought a new 800W PSU 6 months ago after running into issues with 3080 causing PC restarts.
On board gigabit and cat 6 cables.

Trust me I’ve spent a year tuning my rig to make msfs the happiest it can possibly be.

I have faith that Asobo will find whatever issue this is. It’s affecting too many people too consistently to be some hardware issue.

People on other hardware myself included are running it like butter. And too many people out of millions? you might want to think about that one.

One other thought … could the extra performance of the sim be causing overclocked ram to break down? or your chipset to overheat?

But the number of people reporting these pauses can’t all be suddenly suffering from hardware problems… my temps are all the same as before Update 5, plenty of room on my power supply. Freezes happen even when GPU is not under a heavy load, (flying at night over Southern Texas :-)) .

It will be interesting to see what the cause really is.

1 Like

Why can’t they? … how many simmers and Xboxers are ther in the world? a couple of dozen complaining on here is a tiny percentage.

Have you tried with Afterburner and Riva tuner switched off btw?

Oh I do not know, been building systems since the ‘80s maybe and so have plenty of experience on trouble-shooting problems. Always will find one in the forums that isn’t having problems trying to convince others all the problems are self-induced by their hardware.

Because there are so many variables when it comes to PC configurations, not saying there is not something in common with those of us having these long pauses, but also these long pauses as being reported not only in these forums, but plenty of noise on YouTube as well, were not present before Update 5. And based on my observations of my own system, they are not heat or PSU related. Also running on a clean community folder.

So, my statement remains germane, that update 5 is what started these pauses on many systems, now what that causes is remains to be determined. But to state update 5 is not a contributor to these pauses is a bit “Polly Anna” in my mind.

1 Like

Same for me. Stutter is nearly gone.But the freezing(Flightsimulator.exe not responding) last for 10-30 sec, in the menu or on a flight. A finding is that everything was fine after the mandatory update. Flew for 30 min. No problems. Then i downloaded the other updates in the content manager. After that, unplayable. i9-9900K, RTX 3070TI, 32Gb RAM. No problems with temps.

1 Like

Nowhere I’ve said the update isn’t causing problems however I think we should try all the usual fixes first even if that means vanilla with a mouse and keyboard at reduced revs with all mods uninstalled including any remnants of non Asobo ware in the ‘official’ folder. Afterburner, Gforce etc. disabled in start up and all drivers up to date including NVme firmware. traffic set Realtime Online and A.I. atc off in the sim.

It worked for me and here I am getting stick for passing on knowledge.

Ok, one final post from me to summarise everything I’ve tried to rule out the SU5 Freezing issues:

• GPU Power Limit
  • Underclocked GPU
  • Disabled XMP/RAM Overclock
  • Disabled CPU Overclock
  • Underclocked CPU
  • Hyperthreading on/off
  • Intel SpeedStep on/off
  • Intel Turbo Boost on/off
  • Temperatures (all fine - 50C max)
  • Offline Mode/AI Disable/Changed Servers
  • High speed NVMe
  • Rolling cache on and off
  • Mods (empty community folder)
  • Cached/Stale SimObjects data (Removed all items in LocalCache/SimObjects)
  • Background/monitoring applications (all closed)
  • USB devices (ALL unplugged except wired controller) - monitored using USBLogView
  • Multiple Monitors (All unplugged except 1)
  • Windowed Mode
  • Vsync/FPS limit on/off
  • Graphics settings (tried all lowest, and all highest)
  • Location in sim (happens everywhere, including menus)
  • Plane (happens in every plane tried, including menus)
  • Driver updates
  • Dev mode on/off

I think I can say for sure I’ve ruled out all of the obvious issues that might cause these freezes, and I’m now totally at a loss aside from waiting for Asobo, but look forward to their fix so I can get back to flying in this sim! When it isn’t frozen, it runs like a dream now.

6 Likes

Any disconnects in event viewer? (may just be info or a warning)

Sadly not :frowning: I’ve also tried running USBLogView to monitor, as I know changing USB devices cause the same kinds of lock ups.

I appriciate the help and suggestions @DensestSnail693 , as a software engineer myself, I know how annoying bug reports are with no clear reproduction or any other way of narrowing down the problem!

Aint that the truth. … Sorry I can’t really suggest anything else except try Windows 11 but as a software engineer you will be shaking your head and mouthing the word no as you read this. (it’s great though honestly :slightly_smiling_face:).

I am having the same issue after SU5, had multiple 30-90 seconds freezes when cruising in the A32NX dev build, it made the autopilot disconnect and took the plane into a nose dive. Checked HW performance each time it freezes and every time the GPU usage went from 100% to 0%. 5900X/1060 6G/16GB RAM