Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

After SU5 I found I had stutters all the time in spite of better frame rates. I tried an old trick of using Process Lasso to disable “Windows dynamic thread priority boost” on Flightsimulator.exe and the stutters disappeared.

Recently there have been a number of articles on gaming sites reporting that Windows has released a patch to combat poor performance caused by a combination of issues with Windows power modes and Windows game mode. It is currently an optional update. So I installed it to see it made Process Lasso redundant. And the answer is Yes, with optional update KB5004296 installed I no longer required Process Lasso to ensure smooth performance.

A couple of caveats.

• KB5004296 didn’t appear in my Windows optional updates until I installed another optional feature update for Windows.
  • The first time I used MSFS after the update I have a couple of CTDs. I have only had 1 CTD since SU5 so more CTDs could be a cause for concern. I rebooted my PC and the CTDs seem to be gone. Had been at Charles de Gaulle when I had the CTD and that is notorious as MSFS killer. Tried a couple more times same location and no further problems.

You can find more details about the fix here. The Windows 10 gaming performance fix is out, here's how to get your PC up to date | PC Gamer

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! What’s your hardware specs?

i5 9400F, 32GB, RTX3060ti. Note that previously Process Lasso was require for both my old RTX2060 as well as my new RTX3060ti.

As process lasso is about allocation of CPU resources to processes, the result should be independent of the GPU used.

I asked because based on my current understanding process lasso should mainly show advantages with weaker CPUs, if at all. That is, CPUs with low core/thread count and clocks.

For some reason when I take off in an aircraft from Jersey Airport at runway 26 and I bank to the right after two minutes I have a pause for around 20 to 30 seconds and I have no idea what this is if anybody could give me any advice that would be great I’ve tried doing lots of things like updating the drivers reviewing other alternative changes. Any help would be great.

i7700
32ram
1080 GPU
2TB SSD x 2

Have you tried disabling rolling cache and photogrammetry?

Yes I have, don’t really use it, but I have deleted cache.

Does it also happen if you make a turn after the pause, return to the airport without landing and fly the same path again?

If you take the time to listen to the Asobo video interview of August 3rd, the Asobo technician openly announces (4mn 20) that the studders are due to the management of cockpit glasses with the combination HTML+javascript+css (due to garbage collector).
So try a flight with a glass cockpit and then just after a plane with conventional gauges and compare !

1 Like

I just tried it in the cub and it’s about then the radio cuts in although no stutters for me

Java, html, and css? seems not much has changed since my web writing days (a long time ago).

Yes strangely it does

Happens in all aircraft

Try in the A320

The Java language has indeed serious shortcomings for real-time programming since real-time systems must respect certain temporal constraints that the Java language is not even able to express, i.e. the concurrency model of Java is not complete for real-time programming. Moreover, this language uses garbage collection as a memory management system. The garbage collector can reduce the performance of an application and causes unpredictable pauses in program execution that are unacceptable in real-time systems.
Even a simulator like MSFS isn’t a “hard” real time program but a “soft” real time program, theses pauses induces theses studders. This comportement should be previsible and the Asobo choice in such architecture is an error for me.

2 Likes

Being a follow on from FSX probably has a lot to do with it

1 Like

Yep, you are right the problem and solution was independent of GPU.

I must a little bit smile… JavaScript and Java a completly different things… But yes, both are not made to develop real-time applications.

Lol … I do appreciate the difference between then and now but it made me smile. I was writing or rather “adapting” java scripts over 20 years ago :smiley: I only wish I’d have kept it up instead of just playing these stupid “games”!

Thank you! This worked for me. Much lesser stuttering.

1 Like