Spain Bush Flying Tour - Leg 7 - Windmill Race and Hanging Houses

UPDATED WITH FLIGHT PLAN

Happy new year, everyone! Let’s welcome 2021 with a short and fun bush flying trip in sunny Spain.

Flight Length: 124 nm; approx 2.5 hours
Altitude: 5000ft max
Aircraft Type: Cubs, Cessnas, Caravans, Bonanzas, anything that can land and take off on short spots
Cruising Speed: around 110 ktas
Time & Weather Setting: 12PM-3PM at start should be fine (3PM at start for a sunset landing); Scattered Clouds works best, but optional
Server: SOUTH-EAST ASIA
Multiplayer Settings: Set to “All Players”
Date: Saturday, January 2nd
Start Time: 19:00 ZULU
Comms: “Event Flight” @MSFS Bush Pilots Discord Server - https://discord.gg/Z5f5nkETQS

Description: We kick off the new year with this short but action-packed leg starting at Valencia, flying over rolling hills until we reach some twisting river valleys for some low-altitude flying. After a short rest at a bush strip, we reach a set of wind turbines ripe for a bit of slalom racing. From then it’s low hills and riverbeds again until the 1200 years old, magical city of Cuenca with its world famous, 600 years old Casas Colgadas (Hanging Houses) and a 40 meters high footbridge begging to be flown under.
The flight ends at a small airstrip just north of the historic city.

In-Flight Entertainment: Finding interesting places to land along the way and watch each other make a mess out of it.

ADDONS:

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT LOADING FLIGHT PLANS: Due to the nature of how FS2020 loads flight plans, if you load the plans in the sim, it will place you on the runway. If you CHANGE your spawn location, the flight plan will turn into a straight “DIRECT GPS” line flight. I suggest, leaving the flight plan as it is, spawn on the runway without any fear, but get out of the way ASAP and park somewhere nearby.

FLIGHT PLAN: Spain Leg 7 - VFR LEVC (Manises) to LESS (Sotos Airport).pln (20.6 KB)

2 Likes

Not sure if it skipped everybody’s attention because I see this in every flying event announcement. If you pick a ramp/gate by selecting from the dropdown below the field where you put in departure airport, your flight plan will remain intact.

It is true, however, the autopilot will more than likely not follow the flight plan.

I didn’t get that. How is spawning at gate or runway related to autopilot?

It seems like if you change the spawning location, the flight path will remain intact in the G1000, but if you turn on the autopilot, it will just fly in a straight line. It happens in most cases and it’s not exactly clear what’s the connection, but maybe it has something to do with the g1000 code in the game, or it is connected to your plane starting cold. The mods don’t fix this either (yet).

The post is now updated with the flight plan. See you all tomorrow!

Maybe it is a “random thing”, but I just confirmed with one of my own flight plans - and the autopilot worked as expected: it followed the flight plan route. I loaded the flight plan, changed to a parking space (in the menu on the top of the world map, not on the map itself), started with a Cessna 172 (G1000), engaged the autopilot… AND lo and behold, it was flying a straight line!

BUT… that was because I had to switch the CDI to “GPS”! It defaulted to VOR1 (not sure whether that is causing the confusion here? Maybe it normaly defaults to GPS?). After also making sure that the autopilot was set to “NAV” it faithfully turned and followed the GPS navigation line.

Anyway, I actually also have another flight plan of mine which turns into a “straight line” (between start and destination airports) when a location other than the default runway is selected - regardless of whether that happens in the top menu or on the map itself!

I don’t have any explanation for this, except that both flight plans were generated in Little Navmap 2.6.6 and later “hand-edited” in a text editor. Specifically I changed the truncated waypoint names (Little Navmap truncates them to like 10 characters or so) and renamed them to their full names, e.g. “St Gotthard Pass” - but taking care that “no special characters” such as dot (.) or apostrophe (') are used, as those seem to “freeze” the VFR map (interestingly the G1000 map shows . and ’ just fine and keeps working!

My suspicion is that is may have something to do with the amount of waypoints, or the amount of "user waypoints (which refer to arbitrary GPS locations), not sure…