Spikes on Terrain and and Mesh Problems - Global

Already voted… but just adding my 2 cents.

Spikes all over the Toronto GTA area. Quite a few actually.

Would be nice if this got fixed soon…

1 Like

It’s pretty bad near Hong Kong. I saw many huge spikes on the seashore, with water climbed up on their sides.

Further to my last post, here’s some screen shots.

For the first two I took off from KBTF turning north to follow I-15. As an aside, those mountains to the right have snow in them right now and Live Weather has no coverage at all.

For this one, I decided to see if the problem existed in the areas of Australia I usually fly around. I took off from YMND and could see a couple of strange hills way off in the distance but no spikes. Managed to capture this one, almost directly ahead, to the south of YLMQ. Any closer and it disappeared.

Spikes all over Switzerland…ASOBO has the same quality control like TESLA :wink:

The main reason is probably the holidays but I agree, this update wasn‘t the best advertisement for their QA department (not for the first time!). I‘m very happy with their first VR implementation, but these spikes are close to the limit of what‘s acceptable, especially since they knew they wouldn’t be able to fix it for several weeks. I really hope they find a way to provide more reliable updates in the future and that they fix recently introduced bugs such as the coast glitch or „cracks“ in mountains soon, even if this means delaying a planned update.

3 Likes

Spike at Port-au-Prince, Haiti

seen on approach, then disappears when on final…

since the last update I’ve the same issue
spikes in various hights all around the world (e.g. Firenze, Pisa (IT), Czech Republic, various in US: Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and many more … see for example my attached picture in Aspen, CO (

Very frustrating all of these elevation related issues as I have seen all of them. I have a newer premium rig along with wide bandwidth (~475) and know how to tweak the game settings and system for best visuals but these problems seem to related to the latest updates which like others have posted seem to be going in the wrong direction in regards to scenery. I do GA sim flying twin engines and turboprops to enjoy the scenery at lower altitudes mainly in mountain regions so I am hoping this will be corrected soon as I am not enjoying the sim like I had before and the problem is not hardware or internet connection. RIG: i9-9900KF with 2080 Ti , 32mb RAM with 4k monitor set up to UHD resolution native and in the sim at Ultra settings. Can’t do 4k smoothly unless I dial it down to low-medium settings which is a worse trade-off. Spikes are easily found around Aspen.

Not sure if this is noted before, but this one is in canada at airport CYKQ

This is at Hadidhah Dam Lake in Syria.

Coordinate is 34.29617702946034, 42.173664682785194

1 Like

Water bodies seem the cause of this as far as I could observe.

Also, from a scenery design perspective, I reported a similar issue on Zendesk where in dev mode, the terraforming polygons I added in my project, caused similar spikes and pyramids to show and morph from a distance.

So on a global scale, I wonder if this is not an elevation bug related to the vector shapes of some rivers, lakes etc and its interactions with the terrain.

Hey! Sorry I’ve been AFK for the last few days.

Whatever files you removed from the mod in your last update fixed all of the areas that I was concerned about. Much appreciated!

…now I’m just terrified that their “fix” will simply be a roll back and I’ll be stuck with the dud terrain again, but I guess we’ll see.

Well i saw the best wishes from MSFS2020 team, which is much appreciated, i wish them well too!
At the same time it is a shame there is no reaction to the fact they messed up MSFS2020 with the spikes everywhere and the 747 liveries. Tomorrow it’s 2 weeks past update.

I was disappointed they didn’t even acknowledge the problem in that video - and an apology would be nice.

1 Like

Hope they fix it with the next update.Note, it also shows on the instrument screen on the left. I did not notice this bug it in activities.

Yes, imagine the abuse Asobo would have caught for delaying VR. Sure the spikes are annoying, but little more than that and they disappear as you fly towards them anyway

A touch melodramatic don’t you think? Going by the thread listing what people want fixed in 2021, we are already getting to the more cosmetic fixes. The sim is great, I’m nearly at 200 flying hours and just finished leg 39 of my round the world tour with over 40,000Nm clocked already. Fly and have fun.

1 Like

Yes,i found it near Madrid of spain and somewhere in ALPS of swiss either!

Schiphol also got a mountain today.

Some spikes seen just around LFBO also. Asobo please fix it! Thank you for the hard work.

Huge hole in the Lake Suwa area (Japan). The whole lake is sunk… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: