Square Lights

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

I have Developer Mode active, but have not done changes.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

I’m experiencing square lights.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Just loading into the sim.

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

Nvidia 551.76

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i9-14900K, 4090, 96GB RAM, NVME SSD’s

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU14

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Hi @SveinyK ,

We’ve moved your topic into the User Support Hub.

The Bug Reporting Hub is for posting suspected or confirmed bugs that other users are able to reproduce without duplicating an existing bug report. Using the template or providing all the relevant information about your bug and sim setup is required in order to provide valuable information, feedback, and replication steps to our test team.

If you are not sure if your issue is a bug or need further input from the community, please use the User Support Hub category. If the community can replicate your issue, first search the Bug category to see if there’s an existing topic. If it already exists, contribute to that report. Duplicate bug reports will be closed.

If you believe it is a new report and no duplicate exists, then create a new bug topic using the provided topic template.

All issues caused by or involving third-party addons/mods should be reported to the third-party developer. Assure that no addons/mods are used when reporting issues in Bug Reports.

I honestly don’t see on your screenshot square lights or something incorrect, maybe other can distinguish them. Could you provide other screenshots with increased zoom ?. Which airport is that screenshot from ? So that users can try to reproduce at same spot.

It doesn’t matter where it is or what aircraft.
However, the screenshot is default Asobo A320 Neo and at default Gatwick.
It seems to be like this everywhere.

If I zoom in very close it looks normal, when you zoom out, then the lights are very squared.
I’ve seen someone else complain about the same stuff before me, but I just couldn’t find any solution.

I’ve just zoomed in on the same screenshot I provided and here you clearly see that they’re squared.

It’s very noticible on other traffic around you, further away.

Here is a ref to someone else on the forum:

Thanks for the screenshot where we can clearly see the square light. Do you see them for the aircraft as well as for the airports ?
Have you tried to start the sim in safe mode ?

Yes, aircraft as well.
I have not tired running it in safe mode, but more than happy to try.

To start in safe mode: once into msfs main menu, go to task manager, look for flightsimulator.exe and terminate it. Then start the sim and you’ll get the safe mode option.

I already got it. Added the running.lock file into the package.
Anyways, I’m afraid it’s still the same.

There is that similar topic but related to AI aircraft:

Not sure if I understood your reply, have you tried in safe mode ?
Can you show a screenshot with a base MSFS aircraft like C152, C172, C208 ?

Yea, that screenshot is in safe mode.

Here is of the C172.

I would say that usually this type of graphical glitch is due to a mod conflict but if you have started in safe mode and still experiencing it it should be something else. Let’s see other inputs from the community.

The square light issue has been happening for a long time now, I noticed it initially months ago when I installed the FSS Ejets, it turned out they had a corrupt FX_0.png texture the the effects files where reading. I do occasionally see it now and again with different aircraft addons…really wish this could be solved permanently.

Well, after a complete reinstall of windows and MSFS, with a clean install with the SU’s installed.
I still have square lights.

Do you have the Bloom option ON or OFF ?

FYI, This is what I see on my PC for the MS Cessna 172 (G1000):
Bloom on (near)

Bloom off (near)

Bloom on (far)

Bloom off (far)

Partial Specs & settings:
Build: SU15B v1.37.11.0
3rd-Party Addons: None, Community Addons: None
i7-12700K (No overclocking), 32 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 CL40, Arc 770 (16GB, v31.0.101.5333).
Graphics Tab: TAA, Render resolution 1700x960 @ 125, AMD Fidelity - 150, VSync - On, FRL - 100% MRR (60 Hz), HDR10 - Off, DX12B, TLOD @ 250, OLD @ 200, Motion Blur - Off, Other settings - all Ultra (but Bloom as above).
Developers Tab: Developer Mode - Off
MSFS Version: MS-Store, Standard

It’s enabled.

So if I zoom in, it’s fine.
However, the most annoying thing for me is then other traffic far away, when you see squares.

I cannot reproduce those square lights. Here at KORD with real-time online traffic:

Do you have installed the Fenix A320 ?, if so, do you if you get same result if you uninstall it ?

Im almost certain that the cause of the squares is a corrupted texture file in an effects folder of an addon. Most likely will be a fx_0.png or fx_0.bmp. I was also told it has something to do with the transparency mask on the texture.

I found this out after posting on thread in the FSS Discord because their E-Jets have this issue.

Turning bloom on helps a little bit but if you don’t use bloom the squares stand out like a sore thumb.

1 Like

I’m not going to start uninstalling stuff.
I just had a clean install of windows and MSFS no addons installed at all, and it was happening.
Don’t really know what more there is to it.
Are you SU15B or SU14?