Steam Deck compatibility

I didn’t know where to post this so I thought opinions about product compatibility would be relevant here.

Has anybody heard or know if MSFS 2020 is or will be compatible with the new Steam Deck by Valve that’s out on the market now…??

1 Like

Only via cloud or streaming from your desktop. Not supported natively as far as I know.

I have a Steam Deck (arrived a few weeks ago) but no inclination to try and install MSFS on it.

I actually run MSFS on a OneXPlayer and it’s pretty awesome. (…with an eGPU, which the Steam Deck can’t do).

1 Like

You mean a Stream Deck? Or is a Steam Deck something else?

No ‘r’ :slight_smile:

See the video I linked

Steam Deck (no ‚r’) is a handheld pc developed by Valve an optimized to run a wide variety of Steam games. The handheld runs a Linux distro maintained by valve (Steam OS) and is able to run Windows applications through a compatibility layer called Proton.

1 Like

TL;DR. Yes, mostly (Steam version); yes but total pain (Windows version).

Steam version: There was a bug in the Windows emulation software (Proton) that Steam Deck uses, that caused issues logging into Xbox Live (no digits displayed, but they were accepted invisibly), but that has been resolved. Officially it’s listed as Unsupported, probably due to the numerous keyboard commands, but it does see the Deck controls as a controller (it will say (B) TO EXIT instead of ESC TO EXIT, etc.), and there are 4 extra buttons on the back (L4 L5 R4 R5) that you can assign to keys in the Steam per-game control setting.

Windows version: I didn’t try using Proton to install the Windows version, but due to it needing Windows Marketplace, I don’t know if it’s possible. It’s possible to resize the SteamOS data partition and install Windows 10, but it’s such a pain that if you can afford it (and you didn’t buy a lot of paid DLC), it’s worth it to re-purchase it on Steam when it’s on sale, and either start over at 0 flight hours, or do the work to copy your flight log and profile. (Most searches will say it’s not possible; but one post that I can’t find the URL right now, that details the procedure, which I don’t remember.)

Edit: The closest thing I can find is MSFS "Profile" file locations for Steam install. - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community and Where does the game save your settings and button configs? :: Microsoft Flight Simulator English - General Discussions - in the MS directory will be a bunch of randomly-numbered directories, and each has a randomly-numbered file - they all match up to the Steam true filenames (verify by size and/or contents using Notepad).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.