Black Square Steam Gauge Overhaul - Cessna 208B Caravan

The real star is going to be their King Air package. The King Air is very underrated but then it’s deservingly so…because Asobo decided to make only 10% of the knobs functional :frowning:

6 Likes

Absolutely agreed.

2 Likes

the stock Asobo Kingair is the worst aircraft ever. how could they do this to the kingair.

2 Likes

I really love the King Air. The modelling is quite good, however it’s avionics are a mess. IRL the King has Collins Proline 21 avionics (and the cockpit shows the bezels of those screens), but Asobo didn’t model this system and they went on to use a Garmin system they already had. The only system they could use on those screens was the G3X touch screen (rendering most of the cockpit knobs useless). Furthermore the G3X is the least developed system of the bunch.

I don’t know why they did it this way, but at least we got to fly a King Air. I guess their thinking was they also wanted to develop and allow for a ecosystem of add on developers. So let’s keep the default ones basic and let someones else make some real gems. Again I love that plane. It can carry some passengers and cargo (love flying it in SkyPark of FSCharter), it’s reasonably fast and can land almost anywhere… So I am very interested in this add on!!

Soon it’ll be saved lol

Yeah, even with the flight model Asobo provided, i could see flashes of greatness in that regard every time i’ve flown it. But eventually i gave up and moved on.

I ‘paused’ it too, waiting for a replacement… The one on the marketplace (a C90) is even worse. They just took the WT CJ4 avionics. Looks really silly haha.

have not seen it. the Cj4 has a PL21 at least which is not bad. the modern KA have a PL21 too.

Appreciate your work on this. Kind of a bummer that it’s necessary. Hopefully Black Square takes note; a systems overhaul isn’t really complete if you don’t address the system that makes it all go! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but the 0.1.1 update was supposed to address some of the issues with the original release, according to their notes at least. I guess they still need to do more on top of that.

I notice the unmodded steam Caravan has a bit of a quirk where you hit a maximum ITT and then can keep pushing more torque. Does your mod fix/change this?

Hard to say, in which situation is that occuring. Also it should be possible to push over the itt limit. that is why you hvae to pay attention, that you dont do it.

1 Like

In all situations. I push power ahead on takeoff (for example) and ITT just hard stops at around 700 degrees and 1500 ft-lbs of torque. I can keep pushing the power lever ahead and get 2000 ft-lbs but ITT doesn’t continue to rise

In fact, in ISA conditions I’m seeing very little ITT movement with the latest version of the steam Caravan, with or without the performance mod. At idle it sits at about 610 degrees and grossly over-torqued it sits at about 670, hitting 670 at about 1500 ft-lbs and then not moving from there on up. This is confirmed without any mods or aircraft in Community aside from the Caravan

Ah ok. Yeah the ITT simulation in Turbopros is not there yet, i believe there is no real work around at the moment. ITT is supposed to limit you more on high altitudes but I isnt yet. At least with the Black Square Caravan I can get a real hot start with ITT peaking nearly to 1000°. But he is doing that with formulas in the xml so the actual ITT will not be that high.

In the effort not to buy the 208 version and wait for the Kingair, I am now wearing boxing gloves to deter me from buying. However, this is right up my street but with the Islander update due soon, I will try to desist and resist the urge to buy now. It looks like a cracker of an update compared to the basic, but that higher speed and performance envelope in the Beechcraft is what really appeals.

PS If you are wondering how I typed this, I did it with my nose.

8 Likes

Your nose can hit the buy button. Better wear a mask of some kind, just to be sure.

4 Likes

They probably won’t do it, because it’s a premium aircraft but I would pay good money if they gave the Baron a similar treatment

I’d love a good analogue gauge Baron :+1:

4 Likes

I assume that after the Caravan and King Air, they will work on other default aircraft that need work.