Still flying in 1080p?

I just upgraded from an old 1920 x 1080 monitor to a g-sync IPS 1440 monitor and the difference is astounding!
So much more clarity in details and distant objects. And bonus, frames per second has increased!
Glad I had a few extra dollars and did the research to find an optimum monitor with excellent features.

1 Like

What did you get?

Iā€™m using an Asus VG249Q (1080p) FreeSync monitor and would say the same thing. Itā€™s a 144 mhz refresh IPS panel and it is stunning. I liked it so much a bought a second one (on sale) Labor Day weekend.

However, Iā€™ve been looking at 1440 monitors tooā€¦ so Iā€™d be curious whatcha got! :slight_smile:

1440P is amazing once you have the hardware to run it. Once you get used to its hard to go back to 1080p,similar with 4k.Everything is much more detailed no doubt :slight_smile:

How is that possible since there is almost double the amount of pixels to draw?

I am using a 55 inch samsung 4K TV at 60 hz with an i7 10700K 2080S and it is superb. Itā€™s speedy and smooth with this combo. I also tweaked the terrain LOD in my user config to 3.0 to bring out detail in the distance which works great.

Its possible if there is a cpu bottleneck and 1080p to 1440p isnā€™t double the pixel draw

1 Like

How can a CPU bottleneck be removed by increasing the resolution?
1920x1080 = 2 073600
2560x1440 = 3 686400

Iā€™m on 2560x1440 and itā€™s great. Itā€™s a 200hz monitor but I really donā€™t see any difference past 120 or so. There was a noticeable gap between 60hz with smoothness though, I couldnā€™t go back.

Its very simple you apply more work to GPU if you run a weak cpu.I have seen my performance increase depending on the situation and game/settings. What else do I need to explain? Have a good night

The difference between a 60-75hz refresh and 144hz really needs to be seen to be believed. I have an older Samsung sitting next to the Asus monitor and there is simply no comparison.

Next leap will be to a 1440p IPS panel at 144hz+ :smiley:

1 Like

Greatā€¦ now you guys have forced me to upgrade my monitors :joy:

What size is everybody running? I currently have two curved 27" 1080p side-by-side. Only one monitor is used to ā€œflyā€ and the other is where I pop-out ATC,Checklists,charts, etc.

Any suggestion on size, etc?? Iā€™m thinking about upgrading to a 32" curved 4k @ 144hz to use as my ā€˜flyingā€™ monitor, and keep my current 1080Pā€™s for the other stuff.

I suspect it is the change in refresh rate. But went from fps in the 20s to 30s.
Using the highly rated Asus Tuff VG27A.

My graphics card is an old 980gtx and still run at mostly ultra settings.

The Asus monitors are fabulous. Crystal clear and easy on the eyes. Iā€™ve had an Asus ArtPro graphics panel at work for nearly six years, so I can vouch for durability too.

Lmfao. Your CPU wonā€™t be able to push more frames because you upped the resolution. If it bottlenecks at 30 fps at 1080p, then it will bottleneck at 30 fps on 1440p, as long as the GPU can keep up.

Not Quite , It comes down to cycles within the data being sent to the monitor. The quicker response time can indeed add FPS. And then there is G-sync which alters progressive updating to skip over pixels that havenā€™t changed since the last pass. Also the switch from HDMI to Display Port gives more pathways for data to get to the monitor. So you see, itā€™s not a one to one switch in monitors.

Very well said. Great explanation. :smiley:

Iā€™m waiting for my HP Reverb G2 4K display headset. Forget your monitor, say hello to real life that is the HP reverb g2 biatc*.

Iā€™ll pretend I didnā€™t read that response. You have no clue what youā€™re talking about.

2 Likes

Nor do you.