Stop blaming Asobo

Can everyone stop blaming Asobo. This is a MS product, the own it, they manage it and publish it. Asobo are just the developers. All decisions are Microsoft’s.

I feel really sorry for Asobo. They’ve created a once in a generation product, a technical marvel and yet they are getting the blame for Microsoft releasing it too early.

Please leave Asobo alone and start pointing the finger where it belongs.

31 Likes

I don’t think that’s correct. Microsoft are the owners of the IP and the publisher of the game. I’m sure that Asobo has certain guidelines and targets they need to meet but beyond that I would believe most of the daily decisions are made at the Asobo level.

Certainly not every situation is the same but I work for a game development company. For the game that we develop the decisions are made in-house. The publisher provides direction and marketing support.

9 Likes

that’s true, but this isn’t just about asobo - people expect a 4 week old SIM to run completely smoothly and be bug free. yes of course it’s frustrating and exhausting when something doesn’t work. but hurting people is just a nonsense and hasn’t really lost here.
when I think about how many posts there have been during the release of FSX, P3D, X-Plane…there were and even there some bugs are still not fixed.
as I always say, constructive criticism is ok, to express concerns, yes, but insulting people because they created one of the most beautiful SIMS is completely brainless. sorry, but that’s the way it is. and nobody is forced to use or buy this SIM.
the SIM is running on my system (in general) without any mistakes so it might have something to do with their systems.

7 Likes

Part of the frustration is correctly attributed back to Asobo. We have multiple threads about map caching being broken, including the View Cache utility in the menu where fps drops to 1-2 and the menu and program freezes, making the utility unusable.

Open a Zendesk ticket - write it in detail because I worked 1st line HD long ago and I know what details would be useful - and what’s the response “Please ask in the forums.” Ticket closed, please answer our short satisfaction survey.

Not so fast boyo. Reopen ticket, point out I have asked in the forums, have you not seen the multiple identical threads? After a week’s mulling “canned response, including reinstalling Xbox App” when I pointed out in original ticket that the problem is not with authentication. Are you going to look at this or not?

Two more times, we go round and round with the same set of canned responses. None of them useful, all of them requiring reinstallation of what is technically a “working” installation - meaning I can get to the menus, I can fly a plane, but Map Cache is one hundred percent busted after building only 12-18 GB of cached maps of varying quality.

That - folks - is part of the reason why people aren’t happy with Asobo. Because whether it’s Microsoft answering the 1st level ticket, or it’s Asobo - there’s no distinction. The Voice of the Customer is not being addressed, adequately or even accurately. Canned responses when you have given a very specific bug or problem behavior is inadequate, period.

Multiply that by several dozen tickets? How does that look? Several hundred? Bad narrative, poor optics.

Hold people accountable. That’s the only way you’re going to get what you paid for. Accepting a sub-standard product or performance, well it’s your money.

9 Likes

Completely agree. Organisations should be held accountable. But you can’t hold the people who have their hands tied behind their backs by the corporate monster that is Microsoft. Its MS who will dictate the communication strategy (most likely it will consist of - keep quiet, just like all the other MS products). It is MS who provides the support, the forums, and authorizes the roadmap for development. It is MS who decide the product lifecycle and development schedule.

Please don’t think for one minute that behind the scenes Asobo were very happy about the release date. Please do have a watch of their pre-launch video with the devs and the MS product manager. The body language is a fascinating view into their thoughts.

I say all this with the caveat that I have no facts to back this up, it is just an opinion but I feel this ‘disaster’ (as so many people on these forums are calling it) is on Microsoft. Its called ‘Microsoft Flight Simulator’. Its their brand and IP.

I’m on the side of everything works for me. I’ve been happily flying for many hours without issue. So I have no ill feeling towards Asobo whatsoever, so I might be biased - and its fair to say, I’m no fan of MS or any of the major corporations out there.

Asobo are a tiny organisation compared to MS but they have worked really hard to develop a stunning product, only for it to be tarnished by publisher decisions. And lets face it, the simmers of the world are quite possibly the hardest people on the planet to please, so it was never going to get approval from them from day one.

This isn’t aimed all at you @CasualClick. Apologies if it comes across that way - it is aimed at the other replies too.

6 Likes

Releasing early is quite normal in modern game development. Customers are eager to play, so publisher gets return on invested capital sooner plus customers are better bug detectors than QA could ever be. At this point I just expect that if I buy a game on publication date it’ll be buggy and unfinished.

4 Likes

Without knowing what decisions were made by Asobo and what were made by Microsoft, how can you be sure where the blame lies? I don’t think it is so black and white.

He was saying, release date, price, Pr, allowed\disallowed the team to post on public are 100% Microsoft decision, and this is not new, always been like this, Asobo do not control this.

Unless you work for Microsoft and are directly associated with this product, I don’t believe you can make that assertion. It would be foolish for either party to sit idly by and play the blame game. They are both responsible for the release of the product as neither could be developed or released without the other. It is a partnership.

People just need to quit blaming either party in general. The product has been live about a Month and People are “giving up” and “throwing in the towel” Just imagine if either MS or ASOBO would have done that given the myriad challenges they faced releasing this product. Yet, the folks tossing in the towel act as if things won’t improve and they are just stuck. Check the mindset. There’s enough blame going on in the world today and that helps nothing get accomplished.

2 Likes

That’s a fair point. No one truly knows what happens behind closed doors and we never will. It just seems adobo are getting the blame yet it’s a Microsoft product. If someone buys a Dell PC and there is a fault with the processor who should we complain to? Certainly not intel. We paid our money to Microsoft so blame should firmly sit with them. That’s all I’m trying to say.

1 Like

Ha. If I did I certainly wouldn’t be on this forum.

As I previously said none of this is based on facts. I do have experience of large multinational corporations and my opinion reflects that experience.

1 Like

These are not 100% Microsoft’s decision. It is not as if Microsoft is operating in a bubble. It is a contract that they both agreed to. Things like the release date, roadmaps, deliverables, and such are in the contract that they both agreed to. Often those contracts have bonuses for early deliverables or delivering by a certain date.

I am not saying Asobo should take all the blame, nor should Microsoft. As far as I am concerned, and without further information, they are partners.

That is a fair point. But if the problem is with the Intel chip, I will blame them both. I certainly wouldn’t buy a different brands PC but with the same Intel chip. So I would deal with Dell for the issue, but blame them both.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah. ASOBO, please blink twice if you’re threatened… :rofl:

4 Likes

I don’t care who is to blame! I paid $120 USD for a product I have owned for a full month and pretty much cannot use. In its current state, this piece of software is a great big pile of garbage. Don’t misunderstand this as being anti-Microsoft, anti-Asobo, or anti-MSFS. Somebody needs to man-up and take responsibility for this fiasco, and get it fixed. Bottom line, as far as I am concerned, both Microsoft and Asobo are liable for a breach of contract. We paid them money in good faith for them to provide us with a soundly working product, and they haven’t complied with their end of the purchase agreement. I am not a hater, but I will call someone out when they are wrong. My guess is that Microsoft micromanaged this product and ordered Asobo to get this to market asap before Covid-19 scraps the whole project.

5 Likes

I think we don’t need to place blame on anyone. Asobo’s code has glitches and Microsoft may have pushed an early release. But you know what, this will get fixed and I’m more than happy to be a “beta” tester. I was expecting bugs on release, and I don’t see the point in pointing figures.

Let’s just calmly report bugs, if you can’t live with them then just wait for a fix.

I for one am still amazed by this simulator, and it will be even better after bug fixes

3 Likes

Of course, absolutely opinions are fine! Mine is just that we accomplish nothing by pointing the finger. Unless you wield some kind of power over MSFT and Asobo, It’s a time wasting, negative activity that just serves to frustrate.

Regardless of weather we believe it should have been released with near 100% “completeness” or not, it is, and always will be, a work in progress, just like all the other flight sim platforms. This isn’t a $59 xBox game that will be improved upon in the fashion of $59 game “updates” each year where you have to re-buy the same title to get the “improvements”. You know this is a long-term engagement that will only get better with time.

Perhaps we are experiencing more then typical bugs at release. It Just means more patience will be required from all of us for the things we individually care about in the sim to be fixed/enhanced, if they are not functioning now as we expect them to be. Some folks are just fine as perhaps they are not impacted by the same bugs or annoyances that may infuriate others. So until then, hopefully we can enjoy what we have now without the blame.

3 Likes

The settings have to be tweaked just like FS9 and FSX. We assumed that we did not have to do it this time but things change as well as stays the same. I have a powerful system but yet I have to tweak the settings just like I did in the two previous MS sims.

i don’t care who’s fault is, just fix the a320 asocroft

Yes we did. Regarding the breach of “contract”:

1. Warranties and Limitation of Remedies. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER YOUR LOCAL LAW, MICROSOFT AND ITS SUPPLIERS, DISTRIBUTORS, RESELLERS, AND CONTENT PROVIDERS MAKE NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES, OR CONDITIONS, INCLUDING FOR MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WORKMANLIKE EFFORT, TITLE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. PRODUCTS OR SERVICES SOLD OR AVAILABLE IN THE STORE ARE WARRANTED, IF AT ALL, ONLY UNDER ANY LICENSE AGREEMENTS OR MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTIES THAT ACCOMPANY THEM. EXCEPT AS PROVIDED UNDER AN ACCOMPANYING LICENSE AGREEMENT OR MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY:

YOUR PURCHASE AND USE ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK;
    WE PROVIDE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES “AS IS,” “WITH ALL FAULTS,” AND “AS AVAILABLE”;
    YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THEIR QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE; AND
    SHOULD THEY PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING OR REPAIR.

Read hear to learn more: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/storedocs/terms-of-sale

For every buggy piece of software you’ve ever purchased, I’d challenge you to find one that does not have language like this in their terms of sale. Loosely stated, the developers nor Microsoft are under any obligation to “fix” anything. I’m happy they are working on patches and incremental updates that won’t cost me $100+ each year with a “new and improved version”. Just trying to keep it all in perspective.

4 Likes

How Covid-19 could scrap the project? As I know it has a positive impact: Video game industry trends during COVID-19 | Deloitte Insights
And I disagree that MSFS is “great big pile of garbage”. IMO it’s a great project. But very unstable so far.
I’m enjoy it since tech alpha. And my $120 was a small payment for that.
It’s too early to call it fiasco I think. Lets see…

1 Like