Stream Deck Button Box (My C172 Implementation)

pls send a link or file for 3d print
Do you have a pic?

Thx

Just look at the forum and Thingiverse website. You’ll easily find everything you want.

Well, I ordered the Propwash dual encoder and an Arduino Nano. I THINK I get how it works for the most part. Seems straightforward enough - each control on the knob has a pair of pins (signal + GND), and there needs to be a +5V in somewhere on one of the pins too, I presume. All grounds can be connected together, etc.

If I hit a wall with it, I may take you up on that offer.

sounds good. I haven’t “cleaned up” my implementation from my breadboard yet, so I can send you wiring pictures if you need.

Good luck!

Thanks. I appreciate it. I found many pics and wiring diagrams for people using the Propwash encoder with the Leo Bodnar board. While that’s a good implementation as well, I don’t need my Knobster to be natively supported by the sim. I need a plain old Knobster that works with Air Manager as the Knobster is intended to work.

I couldn’t find any details on the wiring for a DIY Knobster except the Arduino flashing instructions and very lean input pin chart over on the Sim Innovations wiki. If I can’t get it working on my own, then pics would be greatly appreciated.

yeah, I found the same, rather lacking wiring documentation from the DIY knobster page.

I tinkered until it worked, given my rather basic circuitry knowledge. At least I am continuing to learn with this hobby :slight_smile:

It’s been 25 years since I’ve touched wiring and circuitry in any way outside of wiring up electric guitars. Even though I studied it in college, the skill fade is real! lol

I understand the theoretical part of how it works and how it should be connected. I just need to figure out which pins are which. Did the encoder come with a pinout diagram of some sort to let you know which pin is which?

Did you need to use a pull down resistor on the common leg to (v-) for the encoder, or is the encoder all direct wired to the nano?

I did slip some resistors in, one on each encoder.

I just got ready to turn in for the night. If you want a pic or something of my wire harness-mess shoot me a DM here or on discord. I can grab you some in the morning!

1 Like

We should check the Knobster Sketch to see if it is using the PULLUP Function on the built in pullup resistors if it is, it’s a straight up wiring job, no external pullups required.

The rudder trim parameter works OK here in Stream Deck, but the corresponding Aileron trim does not. Only can get feedback of position and if I’m lucky one-off increment, then no response.

AILERON_TRIM_RIGHT or LEFT no effect
AILERON_TRIM_PCT feeds back an integer numeric value, like the equivalent for RUDDER_TRIM, but the value does not correspond with that shown in the sim despite my attempts to scale correctly.

Finger trouble on my part?

Can let me know which aircraft you are testing with?

Also, AILERON TRIM PCT gives you percentage (same as anything with PCT) while RUDDER TRIM gives you radians. If you are looking for radians for aileron trim, I am adding a new variable AILERON TRIM in the upcoming update.

Thanks for replying by email.

I tried the Caravan and the Citation. Same result from both.

The biggest issue I’d like to solve is getting a response to aileron trim inputs.

The lesser issue is to match the readout of trim position to that displayed by FS2020 where trim setting for rudder and aileron is shown on the hint popups in degrees to one decimal place.

I wonder also if it is possible to read altitude in feet rather than metres?

Is there more documentation available than the list of supported parameters?

How about some camera control commands?
The key binds seem to mess up when using int/ext and drone.
Perhaps some command for cockpit view, exterior view, drone view, showcase view 1-9?

Coming from someone who struggles to remember all the keyboard commands, I Really appreciate all the hard work you’re putting into this project.

Those options are not available in the SimConnect API, so not much can be done.

Ok, thank you for the response.

I just use simple key press emulation instead for those features.

Both AILERON TRIM PCT and AILERON TRIM give you the trim in percentage and radiant respectively.

Thank you. Is it possible to do math on the return value within your interface?

Aileron trim still not responding.

Are you using version 0.25? No maths yet though.