Stutter and Stop at 10FPS introduced with World Update 3 still there with 1.14.6.0

I don’t think that’s it, I can see it happening even when I’m sitting ready for takeoff and everything seems to have loaded already. I’ll do more testing but really don’t think it’s this.

Thanks,
Scott

1 Like

Still present, just happened to me. 10% GPU usage… 5 FPS… still unplayable… sigh, back to X-Plane.

Update: After changing just about every setting possible I think I got rid of it - Either by disabled multiplayer data entirely (I had multiplayer disabled in world map/flight setup options, but that wasn’t enough) or by deleting the rolling cache and re-enabling it, or it could have been both.

Update 2: It’s back again. Seems to be completely random. Tried deleting cache again and also disabling cache, but didn’t work.

1 Like

Game is unplayable in this situation. Might have to ditch the game then.

2 Likes

for now i have stopped using the microsoft flight simulator and buying more aircrafts and airplanes on marketplace. it’s just not really fun anymore. let’s see how long it takes until it is usable again …

2 Likes

Hi. I upgraded PC around 4 weeks ago to improve my experience of flight sim 2020; from laptop - Razor Blade 15; RTX2020 with I7-10750H processor, 64gb RAM and 512GB SSD as it was really starting to struggle with the simulator. The new PC consists of an RTX3070, ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB ram, a 2TB SSD and 3TB HDD. So, having purchased a £2K pc and got the sim up and running, I saw an immediate and marked improvement, running at Ultra settings. Happy days! But unfortunately, since then there have been further simulator updates and its now like watching a slideshow. Loads of stutter when taking off or landing, even at Leeds Bradford which isn’t the most detailed of airports. 10-20 FPS on high settings. I agree, this is just no fun anymore. I still have the laptop so can say the performance is equally bad on both machines. I look forward to when these issues are resolved and the gameplay experience doesnt deteriorate everytime there is an update.

1 Like

Do you fly using VR?
Is the stutter consistent?

Have you watched the Windows Resource Monitor to see if there is something popping up in the process list that coincides with the stutter?

Just had another user that found out his Steam VR overlay was querying the system every 60 secs even if he wasn’t flying in VR but the headset was plugged in. Usually, repetitive stutters like you describe are caused by some background process stepping on the MSFS thread.

Hi there. thanks for the response. No not using VR . However, I just thought Id check Nvidia experience for driver updates and literally within the last 20 mins installed it. Just tried the simulator and it was better out of Leeds Bradford. Some improvement there! However, I’m just going to try a flight around Paris as Id heard that flying around there was an issue following the world update 4. I usually set the simulator to High priority before a flight… I’ll also try windows resource monitor to see if anything is cropping up there. Many thanks!

1 Like

There was a n NVidia driver update today!

Your config is great … Don’t worry … There is an unsolved performance issue with FS2020. The last year, I have a RTX 2080ti and FS2020 works fine. I received a RTX 3090 this year, and I have a problem of stuttering and poor fps even in the countryside zone …

2 Likes

Let me get this right…
You are suggesting @GrimReaper01412 just live with their stutters because when you changed your hardware you ended up with a performance issue, sooo, that means there is a problem with the sim?

I, and numerous others are not seeing stutters after doing some testing, adjustments and configuration tweaks. We all are running a different version of MSFS than you I guess.

If you believe that all the performance issues are in the code, then wait for Asobo to fix it, but please, do not discourage others from tuning their systems. It is possible to have a stutter free, stable sim, with a little effort.

1 Like

I mainly got this issue in the meny`s 10 fps on and off.

My FPS drops to 5 when I have multiplayer on or group flights with different liveries. 30+ consistently when that’s not the case. Don’t think it’s tuning problem for me. See it sweet. See it swite, this is for real.

In terms of the liveries multiplayer bug, please vote here → [BUG LOGGED] Multiplayer Stuttering after world update - Liveries Bug report - #257 by b3lt3r6709

My goal is not to discourage someone by telling them that they have a great PC setup. The objective is to clarify that the problem does not come from this configuration but is broader and concerns many users who have good configurations.

I have problem since WU3, with rtx 3090 but also 2080ti … the difference between theses cards in this game is not huge (really weird). I tried all (resolution, settings, game mode off …), the only thing that “improved” (a little) the situation is "off - the threaded optimization) but it’s far from the perfection … I wait a fix from Asobo but it seems an hard issue to solve. Meanwhile, unfortunately, I play this simulator much less; Believe me … I’m frustrated and tired.

This is what “tuning” or “configuration” means. There are numerous adjustments users can make that will allow smooth performance. Some are hardware. Some are software. Some are the options selected within the sim.

Yes, there are optimizations that Asobo needs to implement and bugs that need fixing. That does NOT mean that users should throw up their hands in frustration and accept the stutters while waiting for the fixes. There ARE things the end user can do to enjoy the sim in interim.

Virtualization? on or off? Huge performance drain.
Multiplayer on or off?

As above, there are bugs but most can alleviate those effects with some judicious adjustments until the fix is in.

I’ve noticed absolutely no CTDs when the game is not running. That’s been one of the best adjustments I’ve made.

Multiplayer On
Virtu Off

And have you seen any improvement around airports with multiplayer OFF?

Hi. I appreciate everyones comments regarding my issue. If this benefits others, I just want to communicate what I did yesterday, which has certainly helped performance slightly. When I was searching around on youtube, I come across a video that did state that immediately after world update 4 (when my pc turned into a slideshow) there was also a windows update that screwed things up even further. Apparently the patches in question were KB5001330 and KB5001337. However, it appears microsoft released another patch, as possibly they realized performance had dropped off in many games. I learned this from watching the following Youtube video released 28/04/2021; MSFS 2020 - New Windows Update To Improve Your FPS - YouTube . It recommends downloading the latest patch (KB5001391), just released from Windows, 28th April 2021. So, I did; After downloading and installing, my flight simulator is running far smoother!! FPS only slightly better but the stutter is nowhere near as bad. I’d recommend having a look at the video to see what you think. Goes without saying, I created a restore point before I downloaded and installed. Cheers

1 Like

I tried it but not really.