Stutter and very low FPS when reentering VR after flight preparation in 2D

When I start VR in the main window where the earth globe can been seen there is no issue.
I can get into the cockpit without any issues and all is perfectly smooth (FPS >30).

But I want to prepare the flight in 2D not VR. I mean programming the FMC. This is more comfortable.
When I’m finished I go into VR by pressing Ctrl+Tab. Now the interior stutters wildly and the frame rate is very low (FPS ~2) when I move my head left to right or up and down.
Sometimes the effect goes away after some time and everything is smooth again. But this is unpredictible and sometimes never happens.

How can I prevent this from happening?

I have the store version working with Windows 10 and the HP reverb G2.
And have the PMDG 737 installed.

1 Like

This can happen unfortunately. One thing to try is to start WMR before you start MSFS. I find when I do this that I can sometimes switch out of VR and back into it later, although the 2D performance in between that is usually terrible and that can be fixed by closing and reopening WMR.

The only way foolproof way I have found to get around it is to simply avoid reentering VR. To do this, start your flight in 2D and only when you are ready to go switch to VR and leave it that way. I actually start my VR session while on the world map and prep my flight and fly it all in VR as it is much more immersive that way but I understand that it is easier to prep in 2D.

4 Likes

This is quite a pain and has been like this for ages (had some discussion on this back in July 2021, but lots has changed since then). I don’t usually have a problem going from 2D to VR … as long as I only do it once. Last night, had a great night flight in VR; after shutting down and exiting to 2D, it took me over 5 minutes to ‘exit to main menu’, and then ‘quit to desktop’ because MSFS pretty much just stopped responding. The performance after a switch does come back, but it can sometimes take a VERY long time!

Only thing I’ve found that helped was to set my 2D graphics settings way down low. That seems to reduce the transition between VR and 2D. Of course, if you want to do this does depend how you split your time between 2D & VR.

1 Like

I’m getting the same thing with the added fun of having my Rift S disconnect at least once per flight. Been this way since the day I bought it and have found no solution.

But I have read somewhere that you should start VR in the menu right before starting the flight and don’t switch back. I think there is a bigger issue of as time progresses, the stutters and framerates get worse no matter what you do. A 5-hour flight would be impossible for me, especially in an airliner like PMDG. The frames would be so bad by arrival I would not be able to land. I can barely make a two hour flight.

2 Likes

I think this issue is connected to GPU performance. A had a 3060Ti and a Q2. With this setup I never had a problem exiting and reentering VR during a flight because the Q2 resolution is lower than the G2’s. Than I changed my headset to a G2 and always had this problem. The solution was to buy a 3090 (the CPU is the same). With this GPU I am able to switch between VR and 2D any phase of the flight without any stuttering or performance degradation. The transition is smooth. Clearly my old GPU couldn’t handle the situation (I suspect VRAM limitations). So sadly there are hardware limitations as I see.

1 Like

I have a 3070, that could explain it.
Thanks for your reaction nevertheless.

I always hit escape to bring up the menu before entering or leaving VR, to reduce the load. Have you tried that?

1 Like

Unfortunately it doesn’t work always.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t.

Also have a 3070 here. Same issue. I always start WMR after launching the game and loading the flight. Then, everything is smooth until I exit and re-enter VR (or WMR crashes lol). Then, it becomes unplayable ! (also, it seems to be MSFS fault, because MSFS stays stuttering badly even if I quit WMR).

One could say “fine, just don’t exit VR”. Unfortunately, I usually don’t choose to : I have an AMD motherboard, wich means awful awful awful connectivity issues with the G2 (V2 cable but still). So I can fly smoothly until WMR crashes and then : game is over. No way to re enter VR and have a smooth experience.

This is extremely frustrating. I’m selling an organ and buying a 4090 next week, so I’ll come back to tell you if it fixes the issue (unlikely IMO).

I’ve got a 3080 with i9-12900 G2, and still I get lots of stutters and CTD’s, especially in heavy scenery areas. Ctd this morning circling around NYC in C172. I often must “stop” the HallographicShell that randomly appears in the Performance Monitor. This is the cause of many horrific stutters. I sometimes get a freeze or ctd when going out of VR, but most the time it’s ok, either from in flight or from (escape) menu. I start my G2 first from the Mixed Reality Portal, then AddonLinker to MSFS, then plan a flight, start it, open FSLTL and ATC Chatter etc… Then press CTR-Tab or the mapped button on yoke to go into VR. I usually can exit and enter without issue.
Someone on forum mentioned signing out (offline), then sign back in for reduced stutters and CTD’s. Also heard that the Voices can cause ctd’s too. New Nvidia update yesterday… no improvements, maybe a bit worse.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.