Stutter/FPS drop when panning camera views

Hmm, the multiple screens system isn’t tied to any specific number or particular angle of screens; I don’t think it’s related.

This is more likely related to the feature that removes items from memory if they’re behind you (frustum culling). Make sure terrain pre-caching is set on “Ultra”; however this doesn’t apply to all objects I think, which may explain the remaining stutters as objects get re-loaded when you pan enough to the side.

Right I don’t know if it is or isn’t as far as sectioning out viewable screens, just trying to understand why the problem seems to be tied to such a specific, repeatable location.

Pre-cache has always been set to ultra.

I really don’t know whats going on with the sim nowadays. I’ve had this issue for a while now. As you can see in this vid I have stable 25-30 FPS in when the camera is static (looks smother coz of frame gen).

After paning the camera, frames go down until they are locked to 15 FPS. Then they just stay like that until I restart the flight. I do realise that for some reason the sim is using 14.2 out of the 14.1GB of the available VRAM. Why I only have 14.1 GB available in the fisrt place is another question when I have 14.6 or 14.7 available most of the time with the same programmes open in the background. And the fact that it even needs that much VRAM with texture resolution set to high instead of ultra also blows my mind… DX12 uses way to much VRAM imo. With DX11 it needs 8.6 in the same scenario… You can’t tell me that a 1400€ 4080 can’t handle the sim… I even have LOD lowerd to 150 and, like i said before, texture resolution set to high to lower VRAM usage. It’s ridiculous! So bloody weird…

5800X3D, 4080; should anyone ask.

3 Likes

The fact that it locks to half of your original 30fps suggests that it’s a synching issue. It sees it cant handle 30fps so cranks down to half that.

I have a 4070ti but only i7 9700. I dont use vsync but do set a frame limit (60) in the control panel. This is with FrameGen on BTW. Also although I am running 2k it’s not widescreen as yours seems to be.

In the below vid I have turned off the frame limiter so you can see the sort of fps you should be getting with your system which is quite a bit better than mine. Without OBS running I get even better frames than is shown here.

It doesn’t always half; it also locks to 15 when I have 40 or 50 prior to the lock.

Keep in mind that you are at freeware EGSS in the 738 with a resolution significantly lower than mine.

Less intensive scenery, less intensive aircraft, almost half of my resolution. Of course you’ll get more FPS than I do at Aerosoft EBBR with the Fenix at almost maxed settings and almost 4K Res.

The framelocking has nothing to do with the overall performance of the sim. How can I get 30, 40, or even 50 FPS prior to the locking and then all of a sudden 15. This is not your typical “PC just can’t handle it”, because it obviously can as it handled it 3 seconds before, and it handles it again once I go back to the main menu and load back in. This is not a performance issue per se, it is a programming issue.

instead of the usual 40-50fps i now as well get the locked at 15fps issue, not only after panning but all the time, everywhere

EDIT:

test with everything removed but the fenix. 720p, 1080p 1440p or even 4k (like in the screenshot) it caps out at round about 15fps (ultra, 100% DX12)

1 Like

did you find a solution to this?

There is not any “user” solution to this. This is a deep issue of the code.

Try to reselect lod t and o by set them back to minimum apply save and set them back to what u used to have and hit apply save
Also check if textüre resolutions if this wasnt reset by an update ( if set this to other restart sim to take effect)
Also check screen resolution setting and reselect and apply save
Best you can try these 3 individually and see if it helps.

Regards

1 Like

Just downloaded the SU14 and the stutter is shocking when looking around.
Iv recorded it but new users cant upload.
Bit sad when you need advice and people want to see the problem.
Is there a way to uninstall the update and re install it

1 Like

Ment to add the sim is impossible to play as it’s that bad. I have other sim games and graphics cards working fine

1 Like

For me, the horrible stutters only happen in Free Look.
Switching between preset camera views does not suffer from the same issue.
I would think that’s because the presets are a switch from one view to another, while Free Look has to render everything between frames of view.

But looking around with Tobii is clean and smooth. Everything ‘in between’ is being rendered in that case as well. There’s something wrong specifically with Free Look.

1 Like

MINE TOO! what the heck

Which NVIDIA drivers are you using?
It seems that the problem is identified with the latest (29) and that a fix exists (31).

1 Like

Tried that… does not work for me. Man this sucks

Ye black a white Tegu
He’s my puppy dog lol

2 Likes

This is so weird. I think there is two different kind of stutters: one stutter that is affected by the server load and maybe ping to closest server (my guess) .There is also another stutter, which is more like a “lag” (hard to describe that better).

Try this:

Before starting (well, or in game), go to Windows Time settings and SYNC the time with the time serves. Check that it gets synced (sometimes…or very often, its not working before you try a second time). Then the “second” problem I mentioned above often gets fixed. Can’t describe why, though. The Windows time should be synced once a week I guess, but often its failing to do so. Sometimes its better to change the time server used (via classic control panel - time).

…and sometimes its just a stuttery mess anyway. =P

1 Like

Yes, moving around in the cockpit (not sure about zooming) are very fluid. But when it comes to “look around” with the mouse or the controller, its often very, very stuttery. I was hoping this was one of the problems that should have been fixed in SU14.

2 Likes

Little update from my side, Im now on a 5800X3D and RTX 3080, and went back to W10. Still HUGE stutters especially when looking around in cockpit and outside when on ground. BTW this is no matter what graphic settings I use. Its also very apparent in the menu. Lags and freezes all over the place (yes hangar is deacitvated).
I guess this engine is SOO CPU limited that they decided to go directly to MSFS2024 and an updated engine to incorporate CPU better.

And my OP is nearly 2 years old, nothing changed

2 Likes

i also have stutters!

it’s the worst when looking down on my throttle for example and then back out the front window on a big airport. it stutters like half a second. like it unloaded the world when looking down and it has to reload it again when looking up.

the stutters are not as severe as when i am looking side to side.

i have a 4090 , 13900k, 64gb ram

1 Like