Stuttering problem

I have the Store PC version. The game has been going well with my setup, smooth and no stutters. However since last update and hotfix when I go to take-off as soon as I get near any airport markers the game stutters to an almost stop. This happens even if i am on a bush airstrip with no markers but some bushes nearby. I can fly over very dense scenery as smooth as butter. I have tried most things that are mentioned on various websites, I have an empty Community folder and tried running with just the game going. Still the same. I considered it may have been a conflict with the Airbus side stick but I tried another joystick (Microsoft) and still the same issue. Whilst I have methodically changed a lot of graphic settings and got no change, I feel it is something in the game as it all worked perfectly before so not a settings issue.
Any suggestion?

Hi there. it could be several things. but if you are using an antivirus other than Windows Defender I would try to stop it and try to see. You can also try to do what is mentioned in the video. I hope to solve the problem soon and enjoy 100%

I have stuttering at the taxi on the payware airport. Before this hotfix, this runs smoother and better…

Many have reported this in other threads and no obvious solution yet….but some folks have seen better performance if they disable photogrammetry, worth a try, but it looks like it’s common for many to have studders now while on the ground at airports. Good luck. I have this now too a bit even with multiplayer off and live weather off (it’s very noticeable with multiplayer on)

1 Like

The same problem, after 1 hour the frames drop from 35/40 to 10/15 frames, it’s practically difficult to fly like that.
The simulator is getting rubbish, the more updates the worse the performance.

3 Likes

Unable to play with heavy stutters on the ground… never had this issue prior to WU6. Always had very good frame rates on the ground and in air. Everyone with this issue must have something in comon with their PC.

1 Like

I don’t have the stuttering you’re experiencing so I’m just guessing. When I think of your problem I think about what could be different between flying in the air and flying near the airports. 2 things come to mind. You might give these a try.

1. there’s settings for AI traffic, cars and other “airport life” type of things.Maybe turn them down or off.
  2. there’s always contant ATC communications around airports. Maybe try those settings.

Good luck.

I’ve been experimenting with every single setting, Ultra, High, Medium. low and the issues still persists. I have been using MSFS since the first day of beta, and have never experienced anything like this, it has always been buttery smooth for me. The interesting thing is that this started exactly after updating to WU6. It appears this is affecting many users, so there is something mysterious and specific with certain machines and configurations that is causing this issue. This is a major frame rate and stutter issue (bug) that needs to be investigated by MS/Asobo. All we can do now (the users with this issue) is wait until this is investigated and resolved. It’s very unfortunate, but nevertheless I will stray hopeful as always and stay alert in the forums.

3 Likes

Surely this has to be a mod? because without any mine is still silky smooth. Either that or it just runs better on Windows 11

Not a mod… I have zero. The fact that it was running perfectly before WU6, and this happens directly after… did not do anything different. Plus, there are many experiencing the exact same thing after WU6.

I had this problem after the update for a while then I reinstalled the sim, the stutters went away. Then I added back my add-ons and it started again, though the stutters were preceded by audio clipping.

I noticed that I was getting CPU spikes and GPU drops at the same time. It’s taken me ages to figure out that this time it was caused by mesh add-ons being active, so I’ve had to delete all I had, the stutters disappeared again, now it’s butter smooth.

I think something was changed in the world update that’s causing this, as the mesh add-ons were not a problem before. I’ve yet to do more testing in different areas of the world but so far so good.

1 Like

Same problem here. I’ve fiddled around with all of my graphics settings and also graphics card settings with no improvements. Prior to WU6 it was smooth and actually after WU5 I found that I was able to turn my settings up to High and Ultra. Now I’m back to really laggy graphics and no amount of tuning is improving the situation. I’m suspecting its to do with the new Off Screen Pre Caching option introduced in WU6. Perfectly OK prior to that.

So I did a flight from Svalbard to Norway in the TBM and since I removed all mesh add-ons apart from the Iceland mesh from ORBX, I’m back to smooth flight.

This is with pre-caching set at ultra and all settings either high or ultra with a few set at medium like shadows.

I’m stumped as to why the mesh are causing these stutters. But it seems a clean instal has done the job, for me at least.

One thing I will add though is that I’m having very very slow loading of the default mesh around Svalbard and as such the textures are really slow loading in over the top. I have a 600mb connection so don’t know what that’s about.

Setting it to ultra effectively turns precaching off which I can only recommend for GPU limited systems like mine. IMO the SU5 scenery culling efforts only created more problems than they actually solved.

1 Like

OK, so I’ve solved my problem by changing the OpenXR settings. Try disabling Motion Reprojection in OpenXR. I also turned off my Preview Version setting. OpenXR custom render scaling to 100. Fixed my problem so may work for you.

How do you disable Motion Reprojection in OpenXR. Also, are you running in VR, or Steam?

I’m running my VR in Windows Mixed Reality (WMR). You need to have the OpenXR Developer Tools app which you can download from the Windows Store. Open the app and select “Settings” at the top right. You’ll see 3 or 4 settings there that include the ones that I mentioned.

If you get stuck there’s heaps of YouTube videos on the subject of OpenXR settings.

I watched a YouTube video by Overkill and he happened to mention that the majority of stutter issues are more likely to be associated with settings outside the sim. That lead me to abandon fiddling around with the sim settings and focusing more on my Windows, graphics card and OpenXR settings.

After turning off Motion Reprojection in OpenXR my simulator is butter smooth once more and I’ve even been able to turn up some of my settings towards High and Ultra.

Thanks for the reply… good info here. Unfortunately for me I’m not currently running VR.

I was having some stutters and frame issues every now and then, and after some reading either on here or somewhere else, i read that win 11 was making their sim run smoother.

So today on my day off from work I joined the Windows 11 insider program (i know I’m late to the party), Installed win 11, adjusted myself to its new layout, and I fired up fs2020. I’ve done several flights back to back. I’ve not had 1 ctd at all, and everything is smoothed out. It’s almost like the sim is utilising everything in my pc better

Specs

I9 10850k @ 5.1ghz all core oc under an aio
32gb 3600mhz corsair vengance
1tb sn750 for o/s and apps
1tb sn750 solely for msfs2020
1tb sn750 for other games
Rx 6700xt oc to 2700mhz/2800mhz mem @ 2150mhz
Rm 850x psu

Gpu is a stop gap until prices come down, but it performs very well for what I need a the moment.

So all in all I won’t say its win 10 that’s the culprit, but I can say win 11 deffo seems to be making msfs2020 run a lot smoother for me, and all my other games are running better too.

1 Like

When you upgrade your gpu I’ll even let you donate your old rubbish to me … honestly it won’t be a problem whatsoever. :wink:

1 Like