Stutters/Lags Coming Back (sighss...)

Sim now close to unplayable for me. Stutters on final in my last 3 landings after relatively smooth flight. Seems endemic now. I’m on Xbox.

I can’t speak to xbox, since I’m still on an xbone, and I don’t know what settings you have available to you.

If there is an option to lower LOD or limit your FPS to 30, I would start with that, though.

If you have live traffic on, turn it off. If you have not cleared/deleted your cache do so. Turning off live traffic stopped the stutters for myself on Xbox. Especially at larger airports or in busy traffic areas with many airports (ex, NY JFK, Heathrow, LAX)

1 Like

Thanks, I will certainly give this a try

Grabber, you quoted yourself here. In that quote you mentioned getting “GPU latency” to 32 ms. I’ve not seen you refer to GPU latency before. Was that by any chance supposed to be “main thread [CPU] latency?” If not, where do you find the metric for GPU latency?

I realise you may well have already tried this,but I had exactly the same thing regarding worsening Stuttering and increasing CTD’s especially during approach to the point that I was about to sell the hard to get hold of Xbox X and go back to FS9 as MSFS had become totally unuseable .

I then stumbled across the Clear / and permanently switch off Rolling Cache fix,it instantly solved all stutters and CTD I had been having and all is still super smooth and CTD free a month later.

What benefit does the rolling cache have?

1 Like

I quoted myself because typing all of that again would have taken forever. Latencies are found in the dev mode fps counter.

1 Like

Folks, just be a little patient. I understand the frustration of those who cannot enjoy the sim. But after all it is a flight simulator, which is by nature one of the most complex pieces of software for home use. I cannot remember any sim that, at launch, could be handled by current hardware. All those of you who complain about MSFS being a piece of garbage: Have you forgotten that FSX was only playable after service pack one and two? When FSX was launched I bought what was back then a high-end machine, but for decent framerates I had to leave all sliders at medium settings. Because of its 32-bit architecture I had reguler crashes to desktop with some 3rd party scenery, especially if two add-ons were in the same area like Aerosoft’s EDDT and EDDB. If I wanted to fly iaround Berlin I had to deactivate one of the two in order to prevent a memory error and consequently CTDs. Same with X-Plane. Only after implementing Vulcan it was playable at higher settings. Software developers always need to be slightly ahead of current hardware. Software is only profitable if it is made for the next few comming years. Developers don’t want their software to be obsolete after a year because it does not make use of what new hardware can do. And despite the flaws that MSFS has, for me neither any former MS flightsim nor X-plane was as smooth as MSFS 2020 at launch on mediocre machines. All of them became playable only after years with the following generations of hardware. And btw: almost never was the GPU the bottleneck. Flightsims have always needed a lot of CPU-power because besides graphics there are such complex systems an navigational data that has to be processed. A flightsim simply cannot be compared to other games when it comes to complexity. So let’s be a little humble in the face of what the developers at Asobo have created and let’s look forward to what is yet to come. CPU-developement also continues and I’m sure in a few years from now, with the next two generations of GPUs and CPUs stutters here and there will no longer be a thing.
Happy landings to all and stay safe.

4 Likes

It sounds like I offended you. I certainly didn’t mean to. I mentioned that you quoted yourself only because I wanted you to know I was asking about something in the quote rather than in that post.
I apologize, but I’m still a little confused. So we’re trying to get GPU latency near 32 ms, not the CPU main thread latency to 32 ms?

Also experienced almost rhythmic stutters starting on final and on the ground at FlyTampa’s KLAS in the 747. Very annoying, even with managed GPU latency to 32ms and LOD to 80 instead of 100 and traffic sliders to 10.

1 Like

No, not offended at all. GPU latency set to 32ms. Everything else should be lower.

1 Like

Did you try it without the 3rd party addon?

1 Like

Thanks. I thought it was main thread CPU latency. Will make the necessary changes. As you can tell, this is not intuitive to me :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

You do have to consider all measured latencies. It confuses a lot of people. This is not a “lower graphics, get MOAR FPS” environment that a lot of folks are used to. Simulators work differently.

Have you seen the full thread detailing graphics settings and their relationship to hardware?

It is a lot to get through, but if you read the entire thing, it should help you understand. Some of the settings have changed due to sim updates, but the basic concept of tuning using render latencies has not.

Hmm, no not yet. I suspect that adds something to it but another interesting thing is, my mainthread latency only goes into the yellow if my terrain LOD is below 30-40 or so. Is that a normal number to have to set it down to to eliminate stuttering?

Depending on your hardware and the traffic density of the area you are in (to include things you might not see like cars, ground personnel, birds, etc) it would not be unheard of. 3rd party content WILL hit your CPU harder, and is the most likely culprit. What CPU do you have? Also, are you seeing heavy loads on your other latency meters?

1 Like
  1. i7-9750h
  2. Renderscale meter also usually takes the same hit as the CPU when a stutter happens. Maybe another one, I’ll check next time but I know that renderscale usually also goes down
1 Like

Nvidia GPU?

1 Like

Yep, RTX 2060 mobile. Yes, I know it’s a gaming laptop but I mitigate temps with a cooling pad and temps never go above maybe 80-82C.

1 Like