SU10 now coming in August

Dont forget Asobo is in France !
In May we have a lot of days off (even if this year two were a Sunday), and July and August are the sacred monthes for the summer four weeks holydays.
So they need this additional time to find what kind of bugs and issues they will introduce in the code ! :rofl:

As I’m a Frenchie, I feel authorized to tell you a self-mockery french joke, even if it’s a bit non politically correct.

After he died, a guy went to St Peters office. Here the manager said:
“With the life you had, you have to go to hell. But you are nice to me, I’ll give you the choice between German hell and French hell.”
The guy asks “What is the difference ?”
“No difference. You’ll be in s…t to the neck and get 50 whiplash per day.”
“If there is no difference, what choice do you recommend me?”
“No doubt, choose the French hell.”
“Why ?”
“You know how frenchies are… One day they no longer have s…t, another one they lost the whip and when finally they get all together, it’ll be a day off or they will be on strike !”
:wink:

42 Likes

meh not funny at all!

2 Likes

If the sim was stable I’d be happy with quarterly feature releases. The problem is it’s very unstable and especially on xbox and we really need to see some improvements on this. I’ve no idea if SU10 will make this better or worse but it’s a long time to wait to find out. It would be great if we could get more frequent bug fix only releases while keeping features to a quarterly cadence.

As to the beta I have very low confidence in the process. There were plenty of us from xbox during the last beta reporting that xbox was broken, even to the point of some suggesting the release be delayed, but all were ignored. The fix for beta isn’t to make it longer but to actually stop and listen.

5 Likes

I’m thinking of that from the Asobo side of the equation…

They got their wish and have a LOT more time before they have to deliver the goods (Jayne’s post earlier today said they were on a monthly update cadence).
Official Discussion: June 2nd, 2022 Dev Update - #15

They sure have opened up that window!

So… Sim Update 10, August 23rd (if it isn’t pushed back even farther by then). Can you imagine the pressure to get it right??? Yikes. Makes me shudder just thinkin’ about it.

Also dont forget who holds the wallet. That money going towards third party development for world updates can go to someone inhouse to Asobo for someone to work on the main sim team. So honestly we cant use the “different developers” excuse . “Cut the check!”

1 Like

August is the lazy month in Europe, France 100% included. Nothing will happen then. If SU10 will break the game it will remain broken until mid September… great expectations :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s the theory … and was definitively not the case with the latest Beta. While code freeze starting at a defined phase during the test cycle is essential they were messing with the code as if it was day one of development.

1 Like

This is a little cynical, but sadly very true comment. That’s why I sometimes think that a more closed variant of a beta, with ‘serious’ simmers who are really prepared to put in their hours, could help. This could even run aside of the open beta.
This team is carefully selected based on pc specs, bit also xboxers, peripherals and other variables.
The simmers have to opt in for that team. Their flight time, and contribution to discussions will be recorded and used to decide if they can stay on the team.
They will get concrete things to test, decided by MSsobo.
There will maybe be an incentive to thank them for their time.
What would we think of such a closed, and more regulated beta.

2 Likes

It will be the second year anniversary update. I think the more time between updates is both good and bad. Those feeling the sim is stable has more time to enjoy the sim before it gets broken. And those waiting for a needed fix needs to wait even longer to get it fixed.

1 Like

I’m not participating in an upcoming beta if they don’t do it as you just suggested. Second precondition for me is a rigorously obeyed code freeze during the beta (bug fixes only).

There are no such difference to only having ‘serious simmers’ test the flights - Just look at PMDG, Fenix - both releases had bugs that the masses did cry ‘did you even test this?!’ ‘How was this overlooked?!’ And they had dedicated testers and IRL pilots test throughout the development of those single add-ons!

1 Like

As long as this sim is in developement we will have new issues. How much it is even tested some will experience things they not like with the new update. Either we want them continue to update it with a risk of introducing new issues or we want them to completely stop. I had alot of things i didn’t like about updates but i still like the updates. A new update means maybe the thing i disliked is fixed.

The biggest issue for me has been to not be able to choose the most stable release for me to use in the meantime they update the sim.

If next update will make me not able run the sim i am forced to use that version.

1 Like

Sorry but this is not how world works, at least if you expect to be a serious developer. If development introduces new issues everytime then development is not working well. The idea to have an active development is to introduce new features, not new bugs. Just because nowadays is easier to patch games via internet is not an excuse to constantly cut corners, realease unfinished content and let customers debug it for you.

Cheers

7 Likes

Agree, i’m not confident next update will be issue free even with longer wait time. Will make us even more irritating if its not i think.

I think also a thing they need to be better at in BETA is to communicate with their testers. We have no debug-tools in the sim. It’s so frustrating to not get an answere when post about issues. We should get a response of every single issue in the BETA, even of those new introduced issues.

2 Likes

I hope they are not under pressure, mistakes happen more then.

I personally am very pleased this program was released TOO early because I have had nearly two years of enjoyment already.

4 Likes

Agreed. If I was running the show, I’d have a senior Asobo tester review the beta forum bug section at least once a day to get a good feel for what’s not working in the beta and to prioritise rework accordingly.

4 Likes

Agree, and even the issue that get only 1 vote maybe is a really important issue that causes the issue that gets 500 votes. Every single issue is equally important.

For me it’s wrong to use voting system to decide the importance of fixes. They should fix issues depending on when they got indroduced. Voting system misses many issues and often are very general discussions about nothing that has to do with the things the creator of the topic reported as an issue. Also much speculation because we don’t get answeres.

5 Likes

I would also be happy with longer gaps between sim updates, so long as they get it right. However, I would like to have seen some earlier progress towards fixing some of the problems introduced by SU9. Is it right that a lot of us can only fly the sim by creating our own workarounds and by turning so many functions off? FS2020 is becoming less of a sim and more like a faulty game. Sorry but my frustration only increases the more this farce goes on.

5 Likes
  1. The game has been out for 2 years now. It’s still not a stable platform. I am sure it has been in development for 3 years before release. That’s 5 years of development. I doubt it will ever be stable. They bit off more than they can chew.

2. Bug fixes don’t sell. Additional content, features and eye candy sell. Every software publisher knows this. New customers are not attracted by bug fixes.

11 Likes