SU4 code?!

Asobo, is it possible to use the same code from SU4 moving forward? I’m pretty sure the community will agree that SU4 was by far the best update to date when it comes to visuals & performance. Performance, not only on higher end systems - but lower end as well.

2 Likes

A lot of SDK features does not exist on that version. A lot of aircraft you see today (A32NX as of current version, Fenix A320, PMDG 737, Just Flight 146, an so on) wouldn’t work. I’m 100% certain do not want that to happen.

6 Likes

;( that sucks…

1 Like

also I believe SU4 isn’t compatible to XBox

2 Likes

It does seem like it was the most stable update i don’t get why they seem to get worst and worst. I know they are trying maybe msfs2020 is just to much.

1 Like

They get worse as they try to do more and more with less and less.

1 Like

i just want the visuals back, and the bugs they brought they never bothered fixing reverted.

4 Likes

Hello,

I don’t represent the developers when I say this, so this is not an official response. (I don’t work for Microsoft or Asobo.)

However, having done software development professionally for a few decades, I can say that it is unlikely you will ever see a rollback. Code has tons of dependencies on other code, and is always built to work with the latest version of code around it. To roll back would probably mean rolling everything or almost everything back: DirectX 12, Xbox compatibility, CFD, bug fixes, everything. I’m afraid that’s not going to happen.

I can’t speak to your particular situation, but a lot of people gained performance in the first iteration of Sim Update 10, and from a personal perspective, my MSFS has run faster on all versions of Sim Update 10 with DX12 than it ever has. With that said, I don’t want to re-hash the performance discussions going on in the SU10 beta (read: I don’t want people derailing this thread to talk about Sim Update 10), but I only said that to illustrate that performance improvements are possible. So I hope that things will run better for you in the future!

15 Likes

I totally agree with N315TS, it’s simply not a thing that is possible unless you wanna make every single work so far useless.

Only thing i want is the visuals back, they can adjust that easily imo.
there have been multiple regressions visually.
there have also been improvements in some other parts.

But to be totally frank, i have no idea why Asobo is doing us this way.
just give the community what they want, do not do tweaks and patches literally no-one asks for.
optimizations can always happen without reducing visuals.

1 Like

Exactly right. What some people need to realize is that there are numerous different experiences with this SU and all that came before that. And you can bet that every one from now on will have it’s supporters and detractors.

Some people love this SU 10 beta as is and don’t want it changed at all, and some people are begging for it to not be implemented to the world. The truth is, MSAsobo is going to move forward and never look back until they get to where they want to be - it’s as simple as that. Unless they put out a change that results in the app being unusable (truly unusable, not what some here believe that means) then they’ll make the changes and simply move on to the next project.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the community will agree that SU4 was by far the best update to date

Biggabeast, I wasnt aware you have been appointed community spokesperson. Please speak only for yourself on this Forum.
For the record for me the Sim now looks and runs better than ever so I for one do not agree with your statement.

3 Likes

Ok folks - take it easy. No sniping. State your piece in accordance with the Code of Conduct. Thanks.

4 Likes

First build of SU10 indeed ran quite well.
The other 3 however have absolute killed it for me.

2 Likes

But they should bring back the superb quality lighting global illumination and the cloud quality of SU1 :wink:

4 Likes

I really cannot say anything against stability since SU9 - on my end the sim is even more robust than it was back on SU4 (had several CTDs from time to time, not as much as pre SU5 which was disastrous but more than today on SU10 beta 4)

Just as @N316TS mentioned there is anyway no way to go back - rolling back that much code would mean basically a start from scratch not only for Asobo but also for PMDG, Fenix, Aerosoft, JustFlight and all other third parties which is not feasible from a business perspective, and business decides at the end.
Even if the devs would like to roll back MS business would rather shut the project down completely (see the “Microsoft Flight” free to play which was buried not even half a year after its public release).

I’m sure Asobo will improve the sim further, SU10 looks like another step into the right direction - even if for some guys the first beta of SU10 was “the best” and the others do not perform as well.

People have to keep in mind that it’s a beta with focus on testing specific features. It’s not a full release on the same environment as LIVE.
Performance of the public beta testing environment will likely be different as it’s more limited server side (you would not allocate a virtual system able to run millions of users simultaneously for some rather small beta flighting, it would simply cost too much real money) and lacking some optimization.

Anyway the SU10 beta 4 is pretty stable on my end when it comes to the client side. I had not a single CTD and it runs pretty well on it’s own while keeping the changelogs in mind and knowing there were taken things out to enable proper testing of the other features included. Likely there is refactoring and cleaning needed, putting together features again right after and performing some internal closed testing.

We will get a proper view only after everything was put together for the final public build of SU10 on live environment. That’s unfortunately always the case on systems as complex as MSFS with so many connections to other webservices.

Just my two cents/thoughts anyway - I cannot look into future anyway :slight_smile:

Visuals, perhaps. SU5 was definitely a huge downturn for visuals.

But performance? I was barely able to break 20 fps with SU4 regardless of my settings. And it was a crash-fest. So that’s a big “no thank you” for me.

Not that they’d revert anyway. Too much work has been done since. They wouldn’t even revert to stuff from a month back. That’s not how software development works.

4 Likes

This makes a lot of sense, thanks for the input. As someone else in the thread stated, they should give us some of the visuals back from SU4 because now LOD at 200 isn’t as crisp as it used to be back then.

2 Likes

They already gave us back some of that when they increased LOD to 400 in SU6. Along with the performance hit that comes with pushing it past 200.

It definitely isn’t an improvement what they did in SU6, it’s another regression.

1 Like

LOL, SU4 performance was still abysmal. SU5 improved that aspect.
Why would you want to go backwards, then?