SU5, and?

I’m getting CTDs on launch - 3 tries and 3 CTDs so far…

1 Like

Razer Blade 15 2020 here. Modded, i7 6 core runs at 4.3GHZ steady, GTX2060 overclocked 1650mhz when 100% utilization with Quest 2 running OpenXR. Up to 5fps boost with settings from pre update. I now run slightly higher resolution and get the same framerate as before. Not huge gains, but welcomed! Cant wait for further optimizations. Same old CTD’s doesnt appear to be any more or less for me, always at random and mostly only when in the settings menu.

If you want a further boost in FPS, try running the sim in Developer Mode with the FPS counter and clouds turned off.

I found that SU5 caused a drastic improvement in FPS on my good ole Vega 64 10 core 64gb iMac Pro in Boot Camp.

Whereas before it wasn’t really usable without reducing the FOV (and it was a very stuttery mess much of the time over cities), now I can run at everything high or ultra at render scale of 80, full FOV, at 72 Hz on a quest 2 via Link. I have to shut ASW off, quest is at 1.2 render.

It’s not exactly 30fps in downtown Manhattan, but its not stuttering and smoothly flies. Outside of cities it has to be over 30 fps easily. It’s very usable, with all the bells and whistles. It’s like being in a movie. This update made HUGE improvements in VR, at least on my old rig.

Wow simply wow!!
ASBO and MSFS team have done it! Congrats to them!
I haven’t had such smooth flights ever!
Love the new layout and tiles for Discovery flights! Tried most of them, even dared to go to fly over NYC, which was better than expected, had to pull render scale back just a tad bit but flight was smooth, then checked out a few others, all performed well!
The new map is great specially when you zoom into an area! no more grey areas
Love you can go straight to another discovery flight without having to go to the main menu.
Loading times are so much better!
For the first time in a real long time, I actually wanted to just fly and enjoy the flight and amazing scenery. Didnt bother tweaking, or checking the FPS or messing with setting. Which is a great relief. Looking forward to flying again.
for those who care for details:
Renamed the community folder before the update, haven’t gone to update it, just flew without mods
HAGS off and Game mode off
471.41 stock no changes
Reverb G2 OXR 100/ reprog disabled / TA Render 75 (mostly medium some Hight) LOD 100/100
i7 6700K, 32gb, NMV.2, RTX 3070

My standard test flight from KBFI->KPAE over downtown Seattle went from 35fps to 40 fps with same settings, but be careful since by default the Render resolution in VR is knocked down to 80.

11900k, 3090, 64mb 75/100 render scaling.

Finally got the Sim updated (from AU so update released at 1am and wasnt staying up for that!).
Just did a flight around YBBN (New Orbx Version) in the JF Piper Arrow Turbo and had no issues at all. Flew for around 40 mins on my lunch break. Using G2 and Ryzen 5800x and 3090. Smooth as butter and have OpenXR set at 80% render scale and Motion Repo set to disabled

I flew the Piper Turbo Arrow 4 as well. Although it runs much better than before (move my head across the cockpit is no longer laggy) I did notice that there are still a few microstuttering at low altitude. It does not perform as well as the Cub in VR (still my favorite for VR flights, it is now flawlessly smooth) :slight_smile:

One thing I can’t believe though is the ability to fly the King Air in VR! my goodness, never thought a glass cockpit could perform so well in VR now. Thanks Asobo!

My rig is a 5900HX, 3080, 32GB, SSD and a Quest2.

One more thing, I discovered that using the ODT is no longer required and actually affects VR performance negatively now for some reason. I was still disabling ASW, Adaptive GPU perf. scale Off and FoV to 0.8 and 0.85

More testing tomorrow with other aircraft especially glass cockpits like the CRJ.

You will crash if you do not update the content in the manager. Hope it’s been sorted out. Mine is running flawlessly. No CTD all day long.

Well what should i say. The VR Performance got a boost and i can now also set 100% Renderscale in Game and don’t need to lover to 70%…

(Valve Index @120Hz) and i am at 30FPS (tested on Hawai and Paris) and it looks like my GPU has still a bit room since he is just at 85% usage. Will need a bit more time and tweaking but i can already say it is much better.

hi for me the performances have improved a lot now I fly much smoother, tried tokyo and now it is enjoyable while not before. fps which averages 35/40, almost all over in ultra rendering 100. I use rift s on i9 9900kf 32 ram and 3070 … which now tends to heat up, this afternoon I do some flights and check better.

I finally got the update. At first i was disappointed to see that I was still getting stutters testing a Pyrenees bush flight - sure it’s the Diamond, and it’s with the improved DEM mod for the Pyrenees, but still, with my settings at medium (high just for the clouds and textures) with my 3090 I was hoping a clearer improvement.
I then did another test flying over Naples (the discovery flight) and this seemed quite smooth where I would possibly have expected some stutters (but again I’m just at medium settings, 100% render but with just an OG Vive). All in all it doesn’t seem to be as revolutionary as I was hoping given the hype.

1 Like

I have about same performance around 30fps, though I did not check exact number before upgrade.
(reverb G2, oxr 100%, render scale 100%, medium-high settings, 5900x and rtx3090)

But what actually annoys me in SU5 - 2d panels (vfr map, atc, nav log, options menu while in flight) seem to have lower resolution or disabled antialiasing (my 2d settings are 1920x1080 windowed mode with 100% resolution scale).

1 Like

I updated the content manager and turned off AI traffic. One of the two, or both fixed the problem.

Initial thoughts (from about 5 minutes sneakily playing on my lunch break!) is that it definitely seems smoother and performance seems better. I haven’t changed my settings and my CPU and GPU are clearly doing a lot less work (i9-9900K and 1080Ti)

Aliasing though is very bad. There are jaggies everywhere in the menus and the whole image just seems worse. I obviously need to tinker some more to get things sorted on the new update, but like others have mentioned, something has definitely changed with the anti-aliasing algorithms somewhere.

Still, this could be the start of something really good, so I’m not complaining, just reporting what I see :slight_smile:

Just tried it out and wow, it’s a huge improvement for me, took the Savage Cub around Snowdonia and then the CJ4 from RAF Valley to Liverpool and what was once a complete no go due to all the glass was smooth all the way.
Also managed to bump my render scale to 100 and OTT Sampling to 1.6 and no issues whatsoever, I’m stunned how smooth it was so I’m going to experiment a wee bit more by nudging the settings up even more…happy days :beers:

Are we talking about the same update?

Ryzen 5 5600x, 32 Gb Ram, 3060TI no significant performance boost for me.

I don’t see any real improvement to be honest, the visual quality has degraded while using the same settings. So it’s easy to make it smoother while lowering the visual fidelity. The ground looks way more blurry for me than before and now I‘m using ultra instead of high as before. So I feel a little bit fooled…

5 Likes

That’s great to hear, but doesn’t the increased shimmering/jagged edges get in the way of your enjoyment? And the pop-in, and the much lower res ground textures… that’s all I can see :frowning:

2 Likes

Same. The ground textures look like ■■■■ compared to before

2 Likes