SU5 CTD on every sim start

I don’t know if it helps or if it was mentioned already, but there’s another folder besides Community that can cause trouble.

Have a look at LocalState → Packages.

If you see stuff there that was also in Community, you might want to delete that.

Then also delete ‘content.xml’ one level higher.

Just wanted to chime in with a ‘me too’ here (Steam version). Really sucks.

Things I’ve tried:

• Reboot
  • Remove all community packages and the content.xml file
  • Delete rolling cache
  • Uninstall / reinstall all VC++ packages
  • Reinstall Windows 10 SDK
  • Reinstall MSFS (including redownloading all packages)
  • Update / roll back GPU drivers
  • Reinstall Windows language pack English-US
  • Disable Windows Audio / Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services
  • Perform clean Windows 10 installation

Still no luck :frowning:

So we’ve both done the same things then I guess.
I tried to contact flightsimulator support but the answer is probably a default template… Everything they suggested me to do I already did, now I’m waiting for an answer again.

I also couldn’t fully remove steam cloud saves somehow and am still waiting for an answer from steam support…

Some extra technical information from my event log:

Fault bucket 1954161689135643872, type 5
Event Name: BEX64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FlightSimulator.exe
P2: 1.18.13.0
P3: 00000000
P4: ucrtbase.dll
P5: 10.0.19041.789
P6: 2bd748bf
P7: 000000000007286e
P8: c0000409
P9: 0000000000000007
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREB8F.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECE7.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECE8.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECE6.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECF7.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_FlightSimulator._1ed1ab8d41422f3ba57cd9123dd783f4e02920_7ec9c90f_f2b76145-5fc4-4ca0-b75a-520b25752dbd

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: fbc2f578-2411-47c7-80c4-7d1f298c656d
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 9c2e8bc4f3f1de426b1e93b3e29b7ce0
Cab Guid: 0

I opened my own CTD SU5 bug thread because I think I had a more specific problem. Apparently the main goal here is to keep the number of threads reduced to minimal and my thread got closed.
Other kind of thread, with a massive of generic loud complains are the ones that got priority so I just “attach my own” problem here hoping to get news about possible fix.
My case is 0xc0000005 windows event error with CTD as effect after some minutes of flight (from 10 to 20… never get to 30 min flight). I’ve reduced FPS and graphics quality to very minimal levels (never had a single crash of problem before SU5)
I’ve a windows10 with Nvidia GTX 2070. Driver just updated. No GPU oveheating (I checked).

Good luck to everyone.

Maybe one of the 1000 problems listed in this thread will get solved and this thread will get the tag “FIXED” as I see around…

Not very helpful but reducing the statistics I guess…

1 Like

My FS starts, but CTD after 2 minutes flying:

I just updated today to v 1.18.14.0
Several old bugs that had been fixed are back. Too many to mention here!

I noticed that aswell. I got the sim working on the store version without problems but still can’t get my steam version back to work. Steam support just told me there’s nothing else they can do, I’m unable to overwrite the cloud save and not even they can delete it… Asobo support is not answering since days…

I really don’t want to pay 130 bucks again to get my sim back…

And on the store version everything was fine no CTD until the hotfix now it’s completely bugged and crashes a lot of times…

Earlier I had a CTD when on the world map, with an error message that FS had an error and needs to close! I never had that before.

Got another answer from Zendesk but it’s still a default answer telling me to do all the same things I’ve already done over and over again, reinstalled etc. it does not work… They also told me the same things I have already been told by steam support to delete my profile etc. but it did not work.

How long does it take to get to talk to a real human being???

Also I clearly won’t get a steam refund after more than 600h but have to buy the whole thing again or pay for gamepass each month… Even my marketplace purchases are gone but it’s the same sim linked to the same MS account, how is this even a thing?!

I’m in the same boat-- I have tried everything you have done-- I even formatted my NVME that is dedicated to just MSFSM. Nothing is fixing this CTD. I could be flying and 5 mins…CTD. I could just be sitting on the ramp and it will crash. Now it will NOT get past the middle of the loading screen that you showed… It CTD every time, all the time… And I didn’t change anything to make that happen. I’m on my 3rd reinstall and I am ready to give up. I have too many hours trying to trouble shoot. And I just got my Bravo Throttles that I have been waiting for 6 months now… Cant use them… I have been using MSFS since it was version 4… dedicated for years but this time is making me think to go to XP11. I have a I9900- 32 ram, rtx 2080 super that I built specifically for the release of MSFS 2020. I don’t know where else to turn to. We can only hope someone is working on a fix. Like another post stated-- Its time to push it aside and have a beer. (Ill still be watching these posts though) BTW I’m on the steam version.

I have now figured out when I disable my network adapter I can start the sim and go through the whole setup process with graphics settings etc. and even load a flight without crashing. As soon as I enable my network card again the sim crashes.

Only steam version, the store version with the same MS account does work online.

When I disable the network I can always start the sim and even a flight but when I enable it I can’t even get to the main menu.

2 Likes

So you get in the sim without the network adapter on……once your in the sim…you enable the adapter and it crashes immediately? No matter where you are in the sim…. Is that right?

I tried disabling the network adapter…,still crashes at the same spot. That didn’t work.

Can confirm that disabling the network adapter gets me beyond the point where I would otherwise get the CTD. Re-enabling it results in an immediate CTD.

I’m glad it worked for you…I basically have a “bricked” program….and running out of ideas……

Well it’s still sort of bricked for me because it’s not really a workaround to just disable the internet connection… But I hope we can get further in the solution progress with this information.

If you haven’t tried yet, underclocking the CPU might work. Start with your power profile set to the lowest setting. If that doesn’t help, on some motherboards you can change the clock through the BIOS.

There’s definitely something fishy going on on really fast systems. I can get the FBW Airbus to work, but not if my CPU is running faster than its base clock.

I already set all cores to factory settings and set the gpu back to stock out of box…didn’t matter…I’m looking into files corrupt in steam cloud.

And if MSFS now doesn’t like overclocked CPU’s and gpu’s with the Xbox version update then I will not be coming back. It all was working great until this upgrade…downgrade…or whatever you want to call it……this is starting to ■■■■ me off that we haven’t heard anything yet. Even something to give us hope. Leaving it up to all of us to troubleshoot.

I keep most of what I think about this software to myself :slight_smile:

Not that you shouldn’t vent, but if I start, I won’t stop for the next hour or so.

Anyway… it does seem that certain CPU-settings (either speed or core-parking or any other CPU setting that might be involved) has an effect on CTDs. If you feel like more experimenting and troubleshooting, I would try that direction. Sadly it’s just a vague tip. It works for me and I had a little bit of confirmation from others. But in the end it’s up to Asobo.