SU5 - Tile texture corruption of scenery (AMD Vega GPU series related?)

Hi nenenui,
Exact, idem on my PC… But I WAS happy :frowning: DX 12 seems actually too buggy to really enjoy the game. So, I re-install my old april driver again.
A question : what is the problem with AMD ? Are they blind or what ?
Please do something.

Hello my Goosey colleague. So I stumble on another shared issue - together with drone roll! I hope DX12 continues to work for you. Just thought that I would add to this conversation. I have an NVIDIA geforce 1070 and just updated the drivers to V30.0.14.9790 as Nvidia popped up asking me to do. Then I got several CTDs when trying to start a flight and when I did manage to get in; blue tiles around airports - the more custom the airport (KIAD Washington DC Dulles, Flightbeam, stunning piece of work) the worse. I rolled back drivers and now I can load the sim and the blue tiles are gone.
Maybe this is not specifically an AMD issue then?
Or maybe blue tiles are just a common symptom with different causes?
Anyway, I too seem to be running again, and I must remember not to slavishly follow updates when I’m told to do so (well, not without creating restore points and system backups before hand - I should know better at my age)
Happy flying (hope the crick in your neck is fixed soon… caused by the continuing drone roll :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Just upgraded to AMD driver 21.12.1 … and the tile chaos (blue tiles and fractal tile in tile mistachetc.) is still there with DX11.

DX12 beta looks “better” … but there is a “new” (different) issue in DX12 beta. Basically “missing” airport tiles.

In those cases the regular sat image tile persists in some places. Like here at SVPM:

The “interesting” part here is that it does not only “look” like grass on the runway … but it actually is “grass” in the middle of the runway.

… luckily a Nene goose like me has a veeeeery flexible neck … I can even scratch my own back with my own beak (do not try that, dear humans).

However, this time of the year I need to stay up in the air as much as possible; too many year-end casserole incidents … so I prefer the drone cam roll.

1 Like

would you say the new/missing tiles in DX12 is from the same areas that were failing in DX11? Essentially is this the same issue, but with a different visual display?

Yes … my impression is that there is some common aspect … or two bugs in one (so to speak).

The tile corruption for me only (in DX12) or mainly (in DX11) gets triggered at airports.

Airports seem to be the only place with “layered” textures (regular sat ground with generated airport texture “on top”). This seems to fail in both.

It feels like in DX12 the bug is more “contained” … in DX11, once triggered, it spreads to non-airport places/tiles as well.

I have no clue how the sim works … but to me:

• A) the “missing” (airport) tile overlays … feel like a timing or race condition issue (random but still predictable)
  • B) the blue tiles … feel like uninitialized texture memory (and based on what @WebSanity reports this is not limited to AMD)
  • C) the fractal tile texture chaos … feels like corrupt texture index handling

With DX12 I have so far only seen (A) … DX11 on AMD has all the above.

But then … I am just a goose

still a problem here…

I am only using DX12beta (for reasons state further above)
… and I just upgraded to AMD 22.1

… and the “missing airport tile overlay” bug is still present.

I have 2 vega 64s, and can confirm seeing this issue as well. I’ll try DX12 next and see how that goes.

Sorry for my poor English.
New drivers arrive every month and I install them but none fix the bug.
Before, that was easy: I had to resume the old version of April 2021 and everything was repaired.
The problem today is that this new driver (1.1.22), as bad as others, has removed this option and the squares are there even with the April version.
It must have broken something.
Now I have blue squares everywhere even on the Garmin!!!
Does anyone on this planet got a solution?
Is there someone competent at AMD who can answer?
Direct 12X unusable: too many crashes!
Regards

First … I share your frustration that driver version rollback is always such a nightmare.

Second … I can not help as I also do not have a solution

(maybe a little off topic:)
but … I would like to know more about your DX12 trouble.

I did switch to DX12beta because it does a least fix the tile chaos … even when then I get the new (related) “missing airport tile overlay” bug. But this is visually way less disturbing.

I do get (very) frequent CTD even when loading into the new departure location. This is somewhat random as repeated attempts for exactly the same airport and departure spot (ramp, gate) sometimes work … and sometimes crash.

So I suspect there is a DX12 specific “initial 3D asset loading CTD” bug … perhaps due to a race condition somewhere in the code or the driver.

But besides that I have not seen CTD crashes during the rest of the flight.

So … any further info on your DX12 CTD issue would be interesting (e.g. perhaps a pointer to a DX12 forum thread related to your issues)

… I already described my CTD issue here:

Well, so much for DX12 for me. CTD when flight finishes loading. Menus, all other aspects work fine, but can’t fly in dx12 for some reason. I’ll try a driver update.

Hello,
Same blue squares for me ! During Reno Races too.
Dx11 Asus dark hero AMD motherboard …

Don’t know if this helps, I get this exact problem with my 6800xt - but only when I use it with my iMac through an egpu. I don’t get the problem when I use the same card installed within my pc (not in the egpu case). Haven’t tried dx12 yet. Maybe this suggests it’s a bandwidth issue as the egpu case restricts the card to 4 PCIe lanes (I think) rather than 16

So when you use it in your iMac means … you run Bootcamp … boot regular Windows … and use MSFS there? … or are you using VirtualBox or that like to run W10+MSFS and then give it direct PCI access to the eGPU?

It could be possible that “transfer speed” plays a role. But given that older AMD drivers did not have the issue on the same hardware it feels more like a driver bug … now if that is triggered by some race condition … then “faster transfer” might make it less likely to occur.

Sadly I suspect that AMD does not really care about MSFS … and so nobody seems to be really trying to debug it (I would gladly be proven incorrect on this one)

… and it feels like a pretty nasty “low level” bug … so it might take some real effort to locate and fix it.

Personally I have given up the hope that we will ever see an AMD driver fix for the DX11 issue … that is why I switched to DX12 (even when it seems to produce more CTDs during asset load stages)

My apologies for this poor English.
Thank you for these clever thoughts.
I think, unfortunately, Nenenui is absolutely right about AMD’s attitude…
Fortunately, (I did a little manipulation), I managed to restore my old driver (April 2021) which works well. and everything is now working fine on DX11. Bye, bye squares…
DX12 is actually too “buggy”

OK … 1.22.2.0 was a World Update … but the DX12beta airport texture overlay bug jumped right into my face on the first occasion … and I just wanted to record it publicly.

Running the latest AMD 22.1.2 driver.

Menenui, It turns really crazy now…
We keep in touch, if someone got a solution on this planet… Who knows.

Glad I found this topic at last. I’d been googling for a while and seen loads of pink square issues but not blue, with corrupted textures.
I’d even reinstalled the entire sim without joy.

Just updated the sim with World Update 7 and the corrupted airports seems even worse now.

Oh yeah… I’ve got a Vega56 :frowning:

looks just like mine…