SU5 - Tile texture corruption of scenery (AMD Vega GPU series related?)

I’m getting the blue tiles away from airports, and only from a medium view point - perhaps 5nm away.

When get closer they disappear, even if I return to my previous position.

511.09 and 511.79 both tested with the same effect. Only run DX11 on 1080p on a Nvidia 2070max q

• I’ve only started noticing this with the SU8 beta. So I guess not just AMD related?

Flying in France

Right hand one disappeared at this distance. Left one disappeared very shortly after.

Now when flying in Germany too

Sigh, back to 466.77 again? Surely not.

anyone try windows 11? I doubt it would make a difference, but maybe?

Yes … @PhilBean … your screenshots (sadly) fit perfectly to this bug.

It would be sad if SU8 would “expand” this bug to “support” Nvidia cards too.

What would be interesting to know:

• Are the blue tiles “predictable” … so are they at the same location all the time
  • … or do they pop up at random places?

In the AMD bug space they are random … but they are more likely triggered in regions with layered textures (like airports) … but they clearly are not restricted to airports either.

And it seem like once you trigger that bug you will get more corrupt tiles all over the place.

Is this similar in your Nvidia case?

I’ve havenn’t really flown for a while (because of the bug) but first time I noticed it was a few updates ago at Heathrow. There was corruption around the gate I started at but nowhere else and the rest of the flight was OK. I then tried VFR from a few small airfields and they were all bug free.

That Entebbe was by far the worst I’ve experienced it.

Has anyone tried the very latest ‘optional’ AMD drivers ?
I’m still using the recommended.

I am getting the same issue with Windows 11. I have tried what was mentioned previously in addition to disabling the page file. It seems to be an an issue with how the sim/drivers handle projection and tile masking within the game.

Try this and tell us how it works.

1. Load the scenery in MSFS with the ‘Gaming’ default preset in current version Radeon Software (optional) and DX11 in MSFS

2. Switch the in -game graphics settings to ‘Medium’.

• Did this fix anything? If so, what?
  3. Switch the in-game graphics settings back to ‘High’ or ‘Ultra’.

• Did the changes stay?
  4. Change the LOD up incrementally to 110 → 150 → 180 ->100.

• Did the changes stay?

Does this for me helped diagnose that my scenery corruption and tile masking issues/ blue squares were separate symptoms of a root cause. Mileage may vary.

For me this was resolved when I replaced my Vega 56 with a new RX 6700XT. It seems like the tile corruption is an issue that only affects Vega cards, I’ve yet to see complaints about RX5000 or RX6000 series cards.

They’ve been random too unfortunately…

Not all of us have the option for a new video card with prices as they are. The solution to buy a new card is unacceptable, the card worked fine until SU5. Glad to hear you managed an upgrade though.

Of course not. I didn’t mean to post this as a solution to the problem, but rather as an additional datapoint as to what might be the underlying cause to this issue.

When trying to reproduce a bug like this, it’s of the essence to know the exact conditions needed for the issue to occur.

I was really lucky to get the video card at MSRP on AMD’s website :slight_smile:

I tried 3 airports in v1.23.12.0 with the AMD 22.2.2 driver … and so far with DX12beta I did not see that tile-layer mismatch bug on airports …

So I am slightly hopeful that something might have changed for the better.

Thank you Nenenui for this good new.
I’ll try it soon…
And with
the DX11 it works too ?

Yesterday I upgraded to the AMD 22.2.3 driver … and I saw the DX12beta “airport tile mismatch” bug again.

So … that bug is still “up and running”

Same problem for me…
I’ll kill myself at the end !

Well I don’t want to tempt fate but I seem to have fixed it.

Updated the sim and updated to the latest AMD Optional Driver 22.2.3

DX11 - Cleared rolling cache and started up in HUEN Entebbe… my test airport.
Same as ever. Blue squares and messed up airport ground tiles everywhere.

Switched to DX12 Beta
Cleared rolling cache and restarted sim.
Started up in Entebbe. No messed up tiles. At all.
Restarted a few times to double check… all OK.
Switched to DX11 - Messed up tiles back.
DX12 again… fixed.

So looking good. Although DX12 is a bit stuttery and will need some tweaking.

I agree with your obsservations … DX12beta only has “mild” tile layering issues … but not the heavy crazy tile sickness.

Sadly … AMD 22.2.3 … for me is the most crashy driver ever. In the last 5 days I have 3 hard driver crashes within MSFS which did bring up the AMD crash report panel (which I have never seen before)

AMD 22.2.1 did not cause such “hard” crashes for me.

Aye. Have had a driver crash already. Not in game… was just browsing the net when both screens went off and PC locked up. AMD driver had crashed.
Can’t remember when I last had a driver crash on the usual ‘recommended’ drivers

Installed WU8 1.24.5.0 … ok, it is a World Update only … but I just wanted to note, that the DX12beta “airport tile layer” bug is still “alive”

… I guess the AMD DX11 tile chaos bugs does fine too.

I have a Vega GPU on an iMac with BootCamp and have been having this issue for a long time. I just came across this forum thread and I’m dismayed to see there is no solution for it. I’ll try DX12 but the last time I tried it a while ago it was too stuttery. I hope some kind of fix comes soon or we can find a reliable workaround.

I’d like to try downgrading the Radeon driver. It’s there a method to do that?

I may have some old system restore points. What date was the first problematic driver version released?

Is there any way to download an old driver from AMD?

I found old BootCamp-specific drivers on AMD’s website. Looks like there have been two updates to the drivers since my 2019 iMac was released. The installers are smart enough to uninstall the existing drivers, even if they are newer.

I had version 20.45.40.15 installed. I just tried driver version 20.10.36.01 and the issue is still present. Now installing 19.30.01…