SU5 - Tile texture corruption of scenery (AMD Vega GPU series related?)

Well I don’t know what I’m doing right then, cos its still working for me.

Flight 8 just completed since finding the ‘fix’. EGGP-EHRD.
Worked a treat again. No corruption.

I would confirm what @system0default wrote … the DX11 bug for my setup is most likely in regions which have add-on objects (airports, bridges … you name it).

However … I sometime did get it triggered even in totally “plain” landscape.

It seems like switching from the cockpit cam to the drone cam (which I do very often) now is more likely to trigger the bug then it was about a year ago. Mysteriously such switching and subsequent changes of camera view direction could sometimes “heal” the DX11 texture bug.

I am hoping for SU10 … because it seems like it is delayed because Asobo needs to wait for a new Nvidia driver which will fix a DX12 memory issue … so it does feel like Asobo did change some really fundamental aspects of that rendering engine.

In a few days we should find out (unless someone from the SU10beta is around here and can already “direct our expectations”)

2 Likes

I saw that you … @FlyinScot3056 … seem to have mentioned “our beloved” texture bug in …

Feel free to join us in watching the “bug fix” saga.

I am, however, somewhat surprised that you mentioned your GPU is: Radeon 6800
So far this DX12 texture layer hick-up … was (mainly?) a AMD Vega issue.

1 Like

I upgraded to a 6800XT from a Vega56 (flashed to 64) a couple months ago. The error presents itself mostly in complex or addon scenery now, but it still definitely exists. It never goes completely haywire with blue or checkered texturing like the vega did, but the top layers of addon scenery still fail sometimes. It is always fixable with a photogrammetry on/off/on switch in settings, but the corrupted/disappearing scenery still exists.

I am able to develop scenery again after upgrading cards, but I still have to do the photogrammetry fix almost every sim session, and it doesn’t always last the complete session either.

There is definitely an AMD specific error with scenery layering or display that still exists. As far as I can tell it is not being worked on either and has existed in its current state since SU5. They broke something that was working, and they never fixed it.

before doing on/off/on with photogrammetry

after

Side effect after doing the on/off/on photogrammetry trick: the very closest spot around me goes to a very blurry bad level of detail but everything further away goes crisp. After I move away from the blurry area, the blurry area will sharpen

Another weird side effect of being on AMD and SU10… I had really blurry textures at first, but I opened the usecfg.opt file and changed DLSSMode BALANCED to DLSSMode QUALITY. I don’t know why that would affect AMD cards, but it definitely made the textures less blurry and back to normal.

Overall the performance gains and graphic improvements are pretty substantial with SU10, but the sim is still pretty f-ucked for AMD card users, especially Vega users. I feel like Asobo is abandoning everyone who doesn’t use nvidia cards, and for Vega users its been a year now.

DX12 on:

2 Likes

I can confirm that this DX12 texture is still alive in SU10. Sadly.

Same old same old.

On the pro side … DX12 clearly gained FPS in SU10 …
but on the down side … the number of sim “hangs” (DX12-GPU-stack crashes … not true CTDs) is … discouraging (after only 1 h of playing)

I also have an RX 6800 XT and I am seeing the blurry/corrupt textures when using DX12. I’m getting very good framerates and DX12 is much smoother than DX11, but the blurry textures appear often.

try opening your usercfg.opt file found in C:\Users{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Look for DLSSMode, should be about line 13 down. Change that from BALANCED to QUALITY. That should improve the blurry textures.

We don’t have that option in the menus with an AMD card, but changing it in the usercfg.opt made a huge difference.

1 Like

Thank you very much. This solved the texture corruption problem with my RX 6800 XT. Any idea why a DLSS setting affects an AMD GPU?

Could you please elaborate what you mean by …

So far this thread was about “texture corruption” … more in the sense of:

1. mismatch (e.g. water were we have land)
    1. blue textures everywhere … which looks like uninitialized memory
    1. recursive textures completely misplaced textures … (so corrupted on multiple levels)

Now all of the above could the be caused by … use of uninitialized texture memory or texture index lookup tables

The DX12 bug “feels similar” … but most likely has a different cause

1. regular sat textures … in (airport) areas which have custom textures

So in the DX12 cases the “wrong” textures are actually at exactly the right place … but they should:

• a) either not be used at all
  • b) or be placed “below” the real texture

Now … here comes the “fun part” … because if I understand what @Sirrajf is pointing to … we now have another category of corruption …

1. correct textures at the correct place … but just totally blurry versions of them

I have not seen that prior to SU10 (and/or AMD driver 22.9.1) … but I had one such case yesterday. The texture right infront of my aircraft was a very very blurry version of the real image … and one or two tiles further in the distance the textures were correct and nice again.

Sadly I did not take a screenshot of that new (?) texture bug.

Here are some images to illustrate (or summerize) what we had observed in this thread so far:

1 … DX11 … texture mismatch

2+3 … DX11 … blue and recursive chaos

4 … DX12beta … missing “real” textures

I have only seen what you describe as missing “real” textures on the surface of airports. I think the correct surface is being displayed, but there are blurry areas that are the wrong color/texture with the correct taxiway or runway markings. I have often seen flat aircraft on the ground which you can see in the last attached screen capture.

I recently upgraded from an AMD RX 5700 XT to an RX 6800 XT. I saw the same blurry textures with the RX 5700 XT.

Changing DLSSMode in usercfg.opt from BALANCED to QUALITY has solved this problem. Thank you jonasbeaver.

I was able to create these three screen shots after changing DLSSMode QUALITY back to BALANCED.

2 Likes

Ah … OK, you are correct … so that is the “normal”:

4 … DX12beta … missing “real” textures

case. But @Sirrajf, you are using a 6800 XT, which seems to suggest that the DX12bug is really not Vega specific, but more AMD specific. That “DLSSMode” hack sound really interesting, as it seems like it might even be a special DX12 bug, where some change in the DX12 driver interaction (which MSFS only applies if DLSS is “QUALITY”) can fix it right away.

Now let’s see who will be the first to catch a screenshot of those rare:

5 … correct textures at the correct place … but just totally blurry versions of them

Today some of the wrong textures appeared again. The DLSSMode change has made the odd textures appear less often but hasn’t completely corrected the problem.

1 Like

Guess what … AMD driver 22.9.2 … an all those texture bugs are still “alive and doing their thing”.

another bug that came along with dx12 su10 for AMD users was green lines going around the edges of all islands, continents and rivers. as you can see in the image below.
These bugs are only reproducible in cities with photogrammetry, by day and with dx12 . In dx11 these bugs do not appear. We will have to charge a solution from whom? AMD or Asobo?
I tested it in new york and las vegas.

my GPU : XFX RX6600 8gb

2 Likes

Interesting bug indeed. I have not seen that yet … but I will now watch out for such examples.

However, I think that justifies a new forum topic, as those green lines do not seem to be “tile texture corruption” issues … but perhaps more an object intersection or some other rendering artifact.

2 Likes

I definitely have this bright green around water bug as well, its almost like the reflection right at the edge messes up and ends up looking green. It was extremely noticeable flying around the canals and small ponds in florida over the past few days.

I confirm that I have an I7 10700K with an RTX 3080 and I also have the disappearing tile issue on airports…

Could you please share a screenshot, @Axis3602880 ? We’ve only seen this particular issue with AMD GPUs thus far, so seeing the issue with a 3080 would be surprising.

Ok, it works, I’ll take a picture as soon as I see this bug again, it doesn’t happen often, I wanted to test with and without DX12, but I don’t know if that changes anything. But what is on it is not at the start, but always at the finish.

But I have exactly the same thing as on the last photo with the 737 GOL

I think we’re in danger here of losing the point of this topic. We seem to be branching out into various issues DX11, DX12 some of which aren’t the original Vega issue.

To me, this issue is DX11. The tile corruption shown in nenenui’s image 2+3 on 22 Sep.

Any other issue, including the DX12 problems are different issues.

3 Likes