SU6 - tips for a smooth update

Hi all

Here are some hints and tips to help your update go more smoothly today (whenever the update drops - usually around 8am Pacific Time or 4pm in the UK where I am - but no guarantees!).

These tips are based on previous experience of the last year+ of updates and moght help those of you who are new to the (perhaps less that straightforward) process.

Disclaimer - none of this guarantees you won’t have issues - but it might help!

BEFORE the update do the following:

1. Ensure you’ve undone any modifications to your config file, and especially make sure it is not set to read only - and especially make sure the file location at the bottom of the file matches where your MSFS installation is (where the “Official” folder is)
  2. Make sure you’ve set your internet bandwidth in the sim to “unlimited” to avoid file looping during the install
  3. Uninstall Navigraph beta data using the Navigraph uninstaller to avoid sim nav data problems - DO NOT just move or delete the Navigraph data folder in your community folder - moving it back CAN cause problems, so an uninstall/reinstall is needed (and very quick/easy to do)
  4. Empty your community folder using any of the possible methods including:
  • Moving everything to somewhere else (cut/paste)
  • Renaming the folder temporarily (a new one is created automatically if “Community” doesn’t exist)
  • Using an add on linker (such as here - other add-on linkers are available) - probably by far the easiest way if you have large numbers of add-ons
  1. Make any back ups of settings etc in the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache you feel necessary

DURING the update

1. If the installer tells you it needs to download the whole sim (125Gb+) make sure that the installer has found the correct path to where your sim files are stored - if not, make sure you change that path before you click update - if you do this, it should then scan the path with the correct files and only download the ones it actually needs by way of update. This can happen if the file path in your config.opt file (right at the bottom of the file) isn’t correct - maybe something messed up from step 1 in the “before update” list above or somethign random. Note - as highligted in the officialt announcement,m those in the SU6 Beta with default install path will probably have to fully reinstall.

AFTER the update but BEFORE flying:

1. Delete your rolling cache if you use it
  2. Check the Content Manager for any additional packages that must be downloaded or updated
  3. Check all settings in the sim - especially data settings (can be switched to offline) and graphics settings (can be reset to medium) as well as rolling cache has been known to turn on if you have it off)
  4. A sim restart (and indeed a full PC reboot) are also recommended good practice before actually flying

AFTER Flying

1. Once you are sure the sim is working “clean” you can add back your community folder stuff (reverse the process you used above)
  2. If you then have problems/CTDs/lock ups etc, at least you know that it is most likely down to some conflict with the stuff in your community folder
  3. If the sim is CTD etc even with an empty community folder, conflicts have also been known to happen with 3rd party marketplace purchases - so an extra troubleshooting step would be to remove those from the Content Manager and see if the issues are resolved before zendesking the problem

Additional notes:

• AFC_Bridge, Aerosoft-CRJ, PMDG DC-6, lorbysi-content-hooks are believed safe to “just move/remove” from the community folder and can be simply put back [but obviously they won’t work until you put them back]
  • At the time of release, the servers will be VERY busy - you may be better to wait a few hours before attempting to download if the update is very big and you have a generally slow internet connection (or even a fast one…it doesn’t always help :grin: )

Hope this helps

44 Likes

Great tips…hopefully will prevent some of the post-update wailing and crying!

4 Likes

Also, especially for big or slow updates, I usually set an FPS cap for MSFS so that my power bill is kept in check during the update. This can be done either in game, by turning on VSYNC and capping the FPS to 30 or 60, or externally such as with nVidia control panel Max FPS setting.

These two need to be set before the update starts, but if you have already started and have MSI afterburner you can hobble FPS by setting a GPU power limit like 40% and significantly lighten the load on the system.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I hope people take the time to read this before coming to the forums to complain about a known issue.

2 Likes

Good advice for the people who have had problems after a sim update,

For me iv never took anything out of my Community folder while updating, All i do after the update has installed is exit the sim and do a PC Reboot… Iv never had a problem doing it that way

Never experienced any of the issues you address here. My install usually detects the update, and I simply hit the Update button without touching any add-ons or moving stuff around. Never had a problem.

I’m sure most of those tips are not needed, else Asobo would have given such guidance on what to do prior to and after installing the updates.

2 Likes

To me too. Easy and without any black magic spell.
I think posts like that let people start touching folders and files and break up the game.
Click the button update and take a coffee

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips!!
Very helpfull and much appreciated.

Mark

What time is the update available in UK on xbox please.

Will the update come today?

That’s totally fine - you don’t need to use these of course. All I would say is that if you come here later on today, after the update, I guarantee a lot of people will be saying they gave issues because they’ve got stuff in their community folder that crashes the sim, or they’ve forgotten to remove the read-only flag from their config file etc etc. It happens every time.

1 Like

My suggestions here are simply reminders to people who have already done that, to remind then to undo it before they update.

I’m not advocating anybody moves or deletes or edits anything.

1 Like

This topic should be a sticky

3 Likes

Appreciate the effort.
well OR… MS/Asobo could work on how this game updates, instead of making everyone jump through hoops just to get a basic obligatory update?

And coming from the last dev stream, the amount of times they mentioned “old code from FSX” made me realise why this game is where it is.

1 Like

Good, worthwhile comments and well accepted hopefully
I also think it’s worthwhile doing a Windows and Microsoft update just before the MSFS update as sometimes XBOX, for example, has an update that just maybe might affect things…

1 Like

Just a precision: the folder where the settings file is located can vary depending on the version of MSFS. For the Steam version, it can be located elsewhere: for instance in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\

1 Like

One more suggestion for people experiencing problems with graphics after the update.

• Take a note (or photos) of your graphics settings before the update.
  • After the update, set Global Rendering Quality to one of the default settings (e.g. High, Ultra) to overwrite all below settings, and save.
  • change them back to your original/desired settings and save.

This helped me solve the graphics mess after SU5.

2 Likes

It makes sense to me to back up your content whatever the path, as it stops you having to download the whole caboodle again.

I backup mine now too, after the SU5 update borked my FS install and I had to re download the whole 170GB shebang.

Great idea… I had the same issue with SU5 myself…

2 Likes