SU7 VR comments?

Thanks. Sorry my comment confused me too lol. Back to the drawing board.

The SU7 has broken my setup. Much less FPS, suttering, flickering, touch controllers do not work properly, the overexposure continuesā€¦ etc, etcā€¦ it is a disaster for me.

So re-reading the VR release notes, Asobo states that VR toolbar is accessed via the ā€œraycast?ā€ Iā€™m assuming most of us have been attempting to toggle the VR toolbar icons with our mouse but it sounds like the issue might be it has to be accessed via a VR mapped controller?

I havenā€™t installed su7 yet, but openxr runs absolutely unusable under SU6. For me the best thing is to use Steam VR and then with Motion Vector. The image quality is worse with Steam, but it runs super smoothly without stuttering

Overall since SU7 update:

1. DX11 and DX12: Better clarity overall (both cockpit and scenery) and definitely less shimmering on buildings. Havenā€™t changed resolution but its really looking more crisp and I could probably decrease the resolution a bit to gain extra performance (havenā€™t tested that yet). Running Pimax 8KX btw.

2. DX12 seems unstable with several CTD. Also more microstutters and lower fps overall, so I reverted back to DX11.

3. DX11 performance seems slightly better than before I think, especially in big cities such as NY and on the ground.

4. Mouse interaction of all popup windows in VR (ATC etc) is completely broken. Cant click, cant move or anything.

5. Clouds do look better now somehow. Hard to tell exactly whats being improved, but they just look more detailed even on Normal.

6. FINALLY no more camera shaking when taxiing in external camera mode in VR.

7. Frustum culling on wide FOV still not fixed, so need to keep Parallel Projection enabled as a workaround.

8. Seems like water/sea level has been fixed (decreased by a meter or so), and coastlines looks better in many areas.

8 Likes

Everything was fine yesterday, today with the update the TBM is just not flyable. Tip right in the middle of the windshield canā€™t be moved, or closed. Can no longer hide the yoke. Tried the HP controllers, they point to things, but donā€™t do anything.

Didnā€™t get to test all Alpha and Bravo controls, but some seem to have stopped working.

So, program is going on the shelf for a while to see if they fix any of these problems.

Thanks for that extensive feedback. It would be very helpful if you posted your hardware specs and VR settings, too.

1 Like

very confusing SU7ā€¦

when i started, my T16000M was inoperant, but after moving the mouse and clicking evrywhere, something happens and it was activeā€¦
So there is somewhere a toggle between classis yokes/mouse and controllers maybeā€¦ not sure, but after that i had the control on the T16000, before i havenā€™t
But at anytime i tried to control something with the controlers and they never get any action on any button on the cockpit panel, neither on the toolbar
toolbar anyway can be opened, with the controler or the tab, but menus canā€™t be opened at all
very very confusing all thatā€¦

Global remark : why using controlers ? What can they bring here ? I canā€™t see how we could hold the yoke and at same time try to catch the controler, mostly in VR !!! thatā€™s insane ! Yoke + mouse was perfectā€¦ maybe fingers actions could be useful, but controlers !!! i canā€™t understand their purpose.

Specs : RTX3070, Ryzen 5 5600X, Quest 2 with Airlink

4 Likes

How? I tried mouse and VR controllers, but nothing works on my side.

3090 (OC) and 5950x (OC).

Pitool render quality 1.75 (crazy high base resolution)
Parallel Projection enabled. Small FOV (still wider than all other headsets).
SteamVR SS 80%
In-game resolution at 60%, around 3100-3200 pixels horizontally. That combo gives me the best clarity and sharpness.

Framerate locked at 25fps with Smart Smoothing (motion reprojection) and almost never goes below 25.
Image is super sharp now and looks great I must admit.

Most settings in game (VR) on High/Ultra except volumetric clouds which I must use on Medium to not lose too much frame rate. No rolling cache used (disabled) because it caused occasional stutters even with mp600 m2 pcie4 driveā€¦ Oh and yeah I use that G**** Maps mod too hehā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Hhmm ā€¦ did anyone expect something else ??? What we (we = Flusi Freaks) laboriously read for hours on reports and tips from other users so that the simulator runs reasonably well in VR ā€¦ destroys Asobo and Microsoft with every update. For us VR pilots, the improvements are already more than sparse, and then again such a ā€œterrific updateā€. At some point you lose the fun with this simulator.
I also fly in X Plane11, DCS, IL2 Sturmovik, Aerofly FS2 and War Thunder ā€¦ and updates are a real pleasure in all of these simulations.
With that in mind, Happy Landings

1 Like

On a Quest 2, VR performance is as before, smooth but needs some glitch fixing with Oculus Desktop and Debug tool before it will run. Mouse cursor in cockpit is broken for the flight menu (Asobo doing their usual due diligence on UI there). Have not tried the DX12 option because, whatā€™s the point, they say it doesnā€™t work but included it anyway. 3070 with a 3900x.

Not sure either. Tried both and toolbar is broken. I submitted a ticket. It is helpful to actually ticket it from multiple users since I donā€™t think most of the team actually read the forums, or the noise level stuff.

Thanks for submitting a ticket. This is indeed a horrible bug for us VR users. A hotfix must come soon I hope!

1 Like

You are a VR Beta participant? Did you beta SU7?

I agree. Before MSFS I played with XPlane 11 and used VR controllers and I hated it that MSFS didnā€™t have VR controller support form the start. But meanwhile I bought myself a proper joystick and build myself a decent throttle quadrant and the mouse control is also pretty nice. So Iā€™m not really looking forward to using VR controllers now.

2 Likes

To get the controllers to work you have to change your cockpit interaction setting to lock, instead of the legacy mode.

1 Like

Remember SU7 enabled full screen optimization again if you installed it. Navigate to your .exe and click the box to disable. This is an old fix but apparently has greater import when using DX12. Not sure if it will make any difference. There are a few more DX12 tips at Couple of DX12 tips - #12 by Hester40MT.

1 Like

I am experiencing huge performance issues since the update.
VR is unplayable for me, especially with DX12 enabled its just stuttering and ultimately results in a CTD.

Your giving them money after the latest mess :laughing:

1 Like