Sudden insanely bad performance in VR?

I don’t know why this has happened, but my VR performance has suddenly degraded to the point that the game is unplayable in VR now. To provide a bit of context, I stopped playing the game for a few months and then recently started again, but for some reason, my VR performance is incredibly bad now even though I’ve made no changes whatsoever to my PC specs.

Specifically, those specs are: AMD Ryzen 5 1600, NVIDA 3080 Ti, and 16 GB RAM. I am using a G2 Reverb VR headset. I have also attached my specific Microsoft Flight Sim settings to the bottom of this post; I am currently getting about 20 FPS in clear skies and 0-5 FPS in cities with these settings.

I’m really at a complete loss as to what has happened. I am almost positive I used to play in VR on much higher settings and get a much better performance out of the game, but now even on lower settings the game stutters so much that it’s completely unplayable. I’ve watched many videos and many guides on VR settings and tried fiddling around with various things such as the NVIDA control panel or OpenXR toolkit, but nothing has helped.

Anyone have any similar problems or any advice on what I can do to fix this? Other flight sims such as DCS World work perfectly fine in VR with no issues, but this game is completely broken for me in VR. It just makes no sense to me.

(Tried DLSS on performance and also TAA as well, same bad results)

2 Likes

What DX is the desktop set to?

Is your rolling cache disabled by any chance?

DirectX? I just checked and the desktop is at DirectX 12. Should I change it back to 11? I think on MSFS itself I have tried both 12 and 11 with no change in performance.

Nope, it is set to on with a limit of 20.

It’s probably due to DirectX 12. With DX12 the amount of VRAM needed is huge.
You should try switching to DX11 and see…

It seems that SU11 put more strain on CPU than previous SUs.
So, I would guess your CPU is the bottleneck.
I would revert to DX11, reduce LODs (set TLOD to 100 and OLOD even lower,50?), use OXR Toolkit and set FSR to 80%, foveat rendering on to quality/wide, turn off DLSS and set TAA 100.
Grass and bushes to low or off.
Turn off ambient occlusion.

Is it even possible to switch the whole PC back to DX11? Shouldn’t switching the game itself back to DX11 technically fix the problem since DX12 should then automatically revert to DX11 while playing the game? If that’s the case, I’ve already tried switching MSFS to DX11 and it made no difference.

Thanks for the suggestions. Using these settings, I can get the game to stay within 10-30 FPS pretty consistently (which is still awful but better than before), but doing things like flying a fighter jet over a city still turns it into a slideshow.

I’m still in disbelief of how much of a difference SU11 or whatever the cause is has made to the game’s performance. What I used to be able to do on high settings I cannot even do on the lowest now. I guess I really will have to upgrade my CPU because nothing else seems to work.

1 Like

Switch on the fps in MSFS developer to check what your CPU (main and render rhreads) and GPU looks like.
Also check so there are no other programs running in the background.

I was speaking about the Sim obviously. “Desktop” is because the DX11/DX12 selection is on the Desktop side of MSFS PC settings.

As said above you need to display the debug menu, the one with fps counter top-right. it will appear also on the monitor and you’ll be able to take a screenshot and post it here. It will help understand.

This is the result I got, but I’ve never used this before so I’m not entirely sure how to interpret it. Also, I guess there is no way to use developer mode in VR, so this is from just regular PC play with higher settings than I use on VR (though the game runs much more smoothly than on VR regardless of that).
Screenshot (7)

You can see that you are CPU limited (it’s yellow with red bands/spikes).
You can have it on for VR but you need to take the headset off and check on the screen since it’s not possible to view it in the headset.

1 Like

Agree, CPU limited for sure. You can try to display the Task Manager on Performance tab, choose CPU, right click on the graph to display as logical cores. You should see one or more core maximized, and that’s the issue…
You need probably to lower settings affecting the CPU like Terrain LOD and Object LOD. Keep the headset ON on you desk and play with settings on the monitor to see the result in the task manager display.

I just checked your CPU specification. Clock 3.2Ghz boosting to 3.6Ghz. It’s possibly kind of weak regarding core speed.
To give you an idea, I need to overclock my i7-10700K from boost 4.7Ghz to 5Ghz all cores to avoid CPU bottleneck, and I have TLOD and OLOD at around 150 AFAIK.
Now the weird thing is you said it was fine few months ago. We know for sure MSFS begun more CPU intensive lastly…

1 Like

Yeah, it was completely smooth a few months ago which is why I was so surprised. Anyway, thank you guys for your help. I guess I’ll probably just have to upgrade the CPU since my settings are already pretty low and are far lower than I’m used to playing with.

Raise graphics to ultra but keep LOD low, if necessary set TAA and bump renderscale.

Hello !

My specs:

Asus TUF gaming RTX 3090

ADM Ryzen 7 5800 X 3D

Msi mpg x570s carbon max wifi

DDR4 3600 32GB

HP reverb G2 V1

Oculus Quest 2

I have a problem that i cant get the hang off. As you see I have a pretty good PC. But still I`m struggling with VR performace. I have tried using the Oculus interface, Steam VR and openXr, but it still lags ingame. I have followed all guides on youtube, but its not helping. I have also turned down the ingame setting to low, with no good result. The only way to make it some kind of a smooth experience is to turn the resolution a long way down (65 % in openXR), and then everyting looks terrible. When I move around inside the cockpit the movement itself is lagging like hell. I bought the Quest in the hope for improvement, but it didnt help.

Is there anyone out there who can help?

i know this is old now but was this ever fixed? I also use to run super smooth in VR and not it’s not even playable…

I have been using VR in MSFS for 3 years successfully with both oculus Quest 2 and desktop PC (GPU RTX 3070; Windows 11) connected wirelessly to the same router (Comcast cable, 1 Gbps service). After the modem/router connections, speeds vary between 250 mbs and 500 mbs. I get good performance until speeds drop to 300 mbs or less in the evening (probably due to heavy evening traffic among all users). Recently I tried going from the router to the PC with a direct Ethernet connection and USB C connection wired from PC to Quest 2. However, despite the PC internet speed going to 900 mbs with the direct Ethernet and wired headset connection, the performance dropped to unworkable slowness/hour-glass turning constantly. Returning to my former successful wireless connections, the same poor performance remained, making the game unplayable. What do I need to do to fix it this problem?

I would focus 1st on making sure everything in your home network is truely back to what it was and then re-verify your PC/VR settings are back to the previous good settings. Lots of parameters in each that can easily throw your sim experience into a tailspin if just 1 is not correct!! :smiling_face_with_tear: :grimacing: