Suffering with poor FPS after today's update? Please submit a ticket!

did you miss the “after restart, back to normal”?
I too had bad FPS (RTX 3080) but then I temporarily removed mods, restarted sim, restarted PC, and it fixed itself.

2 Likes

Zendesk done.

I first noticed this problem ocassionally after WU3, but it’s gotten reeeeeally bad after this SU.

1 Like

Just done a clean driver install to 457.30, sadly made no difference

For me I can even hear a difference in my PC since this update. The pc isn’t working as hard as it used to. It’s almost like the sim is now not unitilising my CPU and/or GPU to its full potential like it was previously

1 Like

For those suffering a performance drop since the update, is the issue still there with AI traffic off and multiplayer off?

Don’t experience any issues myself, performance is same as before the update but just to see what variables could be in common for those with the issues.

1 Like

My reply from the ticket I submitted:

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention. This issue has been tracked in our internal bug tracker. Please keep an eye on our future development updates & Patch Notes.

Yes, its still there with AI traffic off. I even reduced to 1080, turned off AA, disabled, Vsync, etc… Frame rate still sucks the a$$ of the fat rat. Its below 20fps and the GPU is nearly idle.

Its ridiculous that a patch would basically make a game unplayable for a large portion of players that had ZERO problems 24 hours prior.

1 Like

Copied from the other performance issues thread…

Just to add my frustrations to the pile…

I have a benchmark flight I run after every update. Beverly Regional Airport to Hanscom Field in Bedford, MA. I run on Ultra with a few minor High-end settings. I have FPS locked at 30 for smoothness. I have an MSI GT76 w/ i9-10900K, 64Gb RAM, and a 2080 Super. CPU and GPU are desktop chipsets with no thermal throttling.

Before the last update, I went from a steady 30 fps no matter where or what, to 15 fps that stutters and freezes periodically. I am about to uninstall abd go back to X-Plane. Unless someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I changed nothing in settings, no new drivers, no Windows updates. What the hell is going on at Asosbo?

btw, I submitted a ticket. Based on previous experience, my expectations are low.

2 Likes

There is a problem with FPS loss but looking at the postings of others it seems that Nvidia cards suffer more than AMD cards? My personal experience was loosing about 10FPS running the TBM 930.
What I did is use Precision X1 to make sure I am getting full power on my GPU which gave me back 8 of the 10 FPS I lost. CPU running at 24-28% GPU after adjustment running at 98% and my frame rate is running at 38FPS.

The first update that has made FPS “bad” I balance my CPU with GPU so the CPU core that MSFS likes runs around 90% and GPU around 70-90%. But for no reason at all that I can figure out FPS just drop down to 10-12 / 15-17. Never had or seen this before and it started like all above from the update.
10900@4.9 / 3080 / 32GB ram … Driving me mad…and I now see the loading circle a lot, never had that before since day one. Once or two times a flight, before this update, it showed its face 5 times just taxing but FPS did not drop when that showed its face. FPS can drop in cruise when nothing is going on.

1 Like

Experience the same. The Sim was running fine but since the update its a stutter fest :frowning:

3 Likes

I heard back from support. Here is their response:

Support (Microsoft Flight Simulator)
Mar 10, 2021, 17:11 GMT+1

Hi xxx,

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention. This issue has been tracked in our internal bug tracker and we’re currently investigating. In the meantime we recommend doing the following:

Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator
Go to Options > General
Select Graphics
Under Advanced Settings and scale down “Render Scaling” to 80 instead of 100 or above.

Kind regards,
Microsoft Flight Simulator Support Team

I’ll give this a try in the meantime and see how it goes.

3 Likes

AMD card here and fps as low as 3 at times last night. Even high end cards are suffering from this

It won’t do anything other than lower the usage on your GPU load. I switched to 50% scaling on my 1440p monitor (720p) and lowered all my settings to LOW from the usual High / Med settings. It had zero impact on my frame. Still hovering between 15-20 fps. All it did was lowered my GPU usage to under 10%.

They did something that is causing your CPU to be overloaded. As a result, it’s not able to process stuff fast enough to send it to the GPU. This problem is independent of graphics settings.

PR to English: “We’ll get to looking at this sometime between now and the heat death of the universe”

They said the same thing in ZenDesk tickets after people reported massive slowdowns after the last update and haven’t done jack about that either. In fact, they’ve just made it worse.

But on the bright side, we now have contrails that no one can see if you’re actually simming (in cockpit). If that doesn’t show where their development priorities are, then I don’t know what does.

4 Likes

Lowering the Render scale to 80 does nothing I have mine at 120 and can go as high as 160 with FPS locked at 30. It’s a bug that brings the sim to its knees regardless of settings. I have tested a lot of setting.
Out of no were FPS can goto 12-17, even saw 1-4.

This has nothing to do with settings. See my post right above yours. Feel free to recreate what I tried. You’ll see it has no impact on your performance, no matter how low you set render scale or graphics settings.

3 Likes

I think this has something to do with data. I had exactly the same issue. After the update the first flight my FPS dropped after 10 mins to around 5-10 (usually I get 45) then the sim crashed to the desktop. I then restarted the PC and then FS2020. Looked in the data tab and noticed that the rolling cache was set to 8GB. I have always had this set to 30GB so the update has done this. I changed it back to 30GB and it’s been fine ever since. Still need to test a few more flight to be sure. I realise this fix may not work for everyone and this may not even be the whole issue but it has worked for me.

1 Like

Yes - lowering render scaling reduces GPU usage, and at the times some are experiencing fps drops, the GPU usage is already artificially low (as there seems to be a lag in the pipeline).

My cpu is now running at 98-99 celsius before update 77-78
I know 77-78 is also a bit high but that was always so with the intel 7700k
Had to stop playing MSFS 2020 back to X-Plane

Tried X Plane 11 in VR around 77 celsius so msfs is broken

1 Like

I tried disabling all online functionality, traffic, ground vehicles, etc as well as lowering resolution via both render scale and actual screen res and dropping all my settings to LOW. No effect at all on my performance. Not even with all those things turned down / off simultaneously. CPU was still pegged out at 100% on main thread while GPU was less than 10% used.

1 Like