Suffering with poor FPS after today's update? Please submit a ticket!

They said in today’s livestream that they identified 2 issues causing performance drops and are considering a hotfix.

3 Likes

And I’ll believe it when I see said hotfix and my frame rates no longer live in the single digit realm. Until there’s concrete, tangible action, it’s just talk.

2 Likes

So constructive.

I gave you the info based on what they said. Whether you decide to believe it or not, is a problem on your side.

4 Likes

Having run a couple companies, the way to solve this issue is better QA. I have been a big supporter of MSFS for a long time. But this iteration has been a big time waster for me. I spend more time digging around in settings, tracking down issues in the forum, and reinstalling than I do flying since I bought the game.

I have not posted much on this forum until today with the fps issue. Someone at Asobo isn’t getting the message that releasing poor quality updates is not acceptable. They are breaking something for every thing they fix. I am completely astounded they have managed to maintain any supporters. Again, I’ve been a big supporter. So when I have turned on them, it says something. I’m just tired of wasting my time because they keep saying the next update will fix things. Shut the releases down until they can fix the base game.

6 Likes

Only they did.

1 Like

Don’t get too caught up with the various suggestions to fix the problem. The massive fps drops continue even if you quit out to the main menu. Some script is going haywire and eating up all the processor power and it seems to have nothing to do with rendering or game logic. I’d guess it’s most likely a networking script that get stuck in a near endless loop before finally timing out and then the game returns to normal.

It feels like a never ending circle of waiting for the next patch with this game.

8 Likes

No more hotfixes, World Updates! Over major cities, metropolitan areas (particularly night time) stuttering has butchered the experience of mine no matter what option I downgraded. If option tools don’t perform the way we change, why bother to lose time on options screen? Asobo please explain your policy of World Updates as clear as we can understand! I didn’t have to have the World Update 3 as it causes new performance and stability issues. I don’t have to fear the performance or other issues during flights. Stand for your sim with a good foundation in terms of basic requirements met and make sure your quality check is widely revised before patches. Frustration has been growing in community with every update therefore I personally intend to not spend on the sim from now on. There are greater but smaller producers in numbers that you can watch. You are far from addressing, prioritizing and troubleshooting issues every simmer faces. Let me clue you in; people fed up with wasting precious time and money in order to fulfill the sense of flying or to have some fun.

Not listening to your community and hooking it up will cause more damage your product.

Hopefully you see this.

5 Likes

They have, several times. There will be a world update every 2 months improving a certain region depending on the data they find available.

This is great and it isn’t changing, as a lot of people obviously like it. Complaining about getting (a lot of) content for free that you’d usually have to pay big money for in other sims isn’t something that would prove very popular among the general sim’s audience.

No they didn’t. They have been releasing broken patches for a while. This is a message they should have gotten a few months ago. Since they have damaged their credibility so far, I want a detailed explanation on what happened and what is the corrective action to keep it from happening again. We deserve that. I don’t want a simple statement about how they will deliver some miraculous hotfix. I don’t want a hotfix. I want to know what are doing to make it so I don’t have to spend three hours on my few and far between days off constantly restarting the sim, making adjustments, and talking to support.

The issues today aren’t simple isolated gauges not working or scattered land features being out of whack. Its core sim performance that they knew about as soon as the complaints started.

8 Likes

I don’t think those are the complaints. The complaints are that these free updates are coming with broken features that used to work. I would forgo every free world update at this point if they let me stick with the version of the game that at least runs reasonably well. The forced march for updates is helping no one.

5 Likes

I want, I want, I want.

1: their credibility is far from damaged. For anyone shaking their first angrily in a forum, there are fifty happy simmers flying around. The overall outlook on MSFS among the mass audience is much, much more positive than what some here would like people to believe.
2: You may want to check today’s livestream. They gave a lot of details. 90 minutes of details. And so they did in previous livestreams. If that’s not enough for you, I guarantee the problem is on your side. MSFSofficial - Twitch

2 Likes

Of course as a customer “I want”. I don’t run a charity. They have broken the sim, and worse, they’ve wasted an immense amount of my time. I paid over $100 for game that doesn’t work. It really hasn’t worked as advertised since release, but I cut a lot of slack at that time. No more.

2 Likes

EDIT I spoke too soon, as soon as I flew a little into an area that needed to be loaded my CPU usage went up and the bad performance came back. Figuring it was a data loading issue I disabled my rolling cache and while the CPU usage stayed high, the perofrmance overall improved and the stuttering went away. Maybe something got messed up in the rolling cache functionality.

I wound up taking the advice of someone way up in this topic who suggested disabling full screen optimizations under the compatibility tab for the exe and it was like a logjam had cleared in the sim for me. Back up to 60fps for the first time in a while on a benchmark flight that just a few minutes prior was a stuttery mess. Give it a try!

1 Like

Being a customer doesn’t give you the right to demand detailed reports. That’s being an employer. I’m fairly sure you’re not their employer.

They provided 90 minutes of details just today (which I kindly linked for your benefit), and the same in previous months. Being a customer does not entitle you to any more than that (and that’s actually more than most developers do).

A stable and good performing sim, game or program is vital and essential to good experience that one can always get or one would prefer it to the rest. For the betterment of this sim we must make sure it runs more flawlessly than it does at present. Yet, issues with quality are obvious in terms of photogrammetry, terrain textures, LOD and GPU&CPU utilizations are obvious as well. I don’t mention other issues as some of them stay untouched e.g Garmin, AP, weather and clouds, VR… as the 2021 summer is up ahead a few months later, this marks also launch for XBOX. This will lead to other direction, I’m afraid. Asobo try to please everyone in short amount of time as it seems. This is no good. All I see is simply this.

1 Like

It’s almost like you believe they’re not making a large effort to have a stable and good performing sim.

Things break because people are working hard on the background and this is very complex software. Incidentally, They also have explained how that works in today’s livestream. Maybe you should watch it.

Okay, enough is enough. This topic is now just becoming bickering and that’s not what I intended this topic to be. It will end up just getting shut down if this continues.

This post was setup for users to discuss issues they are having with performance, any ideas as to why that might be and possible solutions, as well as to encourage people to report that where they feel necessary: Submit a request – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support

1 Like

Being a customer allows me to demand a work product. There is a legally binding contract on that. Is it worth pursuing, not. But if the only way to get them to rethink their approach is screaming and yelling, I have every right. I paid for that right.

And things break because they are trying to do too much. This isn’t some unsolvable Gordian Knot. If they pause new product development, reevaluate their quality processes, and fix the core game, it will only help everyone. Right now, they are playing whack a mole on bugs and making things worse with each patch.

2 Likes

This is a working product. The fact that you don’t consider it perfectly suitable to your needs does not in any shape or form impact that binding contract you’re talking about.

I’ve seen this quite a bit and it shows complete lack of understanding how how game development works.

“new product development” is done by different teams and people from fixing the core simulation. They have entirely different disciplines and specializations within game development.

Artists, 3D modelers, scenery designers, texture artists, and so forth are not going to be fired because you don’t want the stuff they’re working on to be released. They’re also not going to be told: “hey, convert to programmer so that you can help fix this code causing a framerate slowdown.”

Observation from this evening…performance was good (40-50fps) in the CJ4. Suddenly dropped to low 20’s and ridiculous stuttering. I paused the game and switched off live weather. Returned to the game and FPS went back to 45. May have been a coincidence, but left live weather off and perf stayed ok.