Suggestions for Interesting places to fly?

Africa has one of the best sceneries:

3 Likes

Which area is that? The areas I’ve explored have been barren plains.

Just got done with an hour stint in the DA40TDI taking off out of SPGL. Holy cow, live weather was bringing in a rainstorm from the West, absolutely massive wind gusts, finally found an airstrip after I almost ran out of fuel trying to get up to 15,000ft… was still in the canyons, airstrip was at 10,5AGL

Really something else this place, you need alot of airplane to get around. A 172 aint gonna cut it. Good spot for the TBM guys, but at the same time, you’re going to want to be in an airplane with really good visibility as there’s ALOT to look at.

3 Likes

This is a great idea! What are you flying this in? the stint to Bermuda had to of been a bit of a slog.

Thanks @VesperalMuffin4 . The Bermuda trip wasn’t too bad. I used the TBM 930 so it’s fast enough (about 2hr 20min on the way out and 3hr 30min on the way back with a headwind) I just pick whatever plane I think is most suitable for the trip (so for example, long journeys without much scenery I take the TBM, but if it’s a short, very scenic journey, I’ll use something slower) My favourite planes are Mooney Ovation, Bonanza Turbo, TBM930 - they’re the ones I’ve used most. I’ve used the Icon A5 a couple of times. I was going to just use one plane, but I prefer the variety.

eddiesimes

Great looking trip.

I am in the throws of doing one myself.

I have been making my own Bush Trips and plan on linking them all together (as individual BT’s and not as one long one) to make a round the world.

A series crossing Canada is done and I just started it.

Shetlands to the Scilly Isles in the UK is done as is an England South Coast.

Another is across the Alps.

Now to link the above together.

Thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like

I actually wrote up an entire post about flying into VQPR, aka “The Worlds Most Dangerous Airport”.

You can find that thread here, and it gives the full details as to the flight setup, where to start, approach to fly, gotchas to look out for, and so on. Grab a look at it, and more importantly, go fly it for yourself, and let me/us know your thoughts when you’re done!

Thanks and enjoy!
KKT

2 Likes

We would be very Happy to have these ‘Work’s of Art’ decorating our Living Room.

Thank’s

ps. We’re using the 2nd image as a Desktop Pic.

Thanks for the Sahara tip. I flew around in western Morocco once and it was honestly not especially interesting, as the imagery seemed somewhat low-res. I’ll have to check these places out!

If it helps I’ve travelled quite extensively around Western Morocco for real in a motorhome (RV to our US cousins). Apart from the Atlas mountains the scenery for real is generally quite mediocre.

Of course I’ve also “flown” around and it does actually look quite realistic.

1 Like

Yes, the Sahara is a beautiful place to fly. In some places the airports are so far away from each other that you have to look after your fuel. I had a flight where I started without destination and had to turn around after some time as there was no other airport in the list of nearest airports apart from the one I started on and my fuel was getting low. But the scenery sure was gorgeous!

I suggest Patagonia, is amazing!

Thank you; gorgeous flight in the desert.