Support for head tracking on Xbox

Can Asobo/ MS look at a way to allow head tracking on Xbox for example using trackIR or any other head tracking device (even a proprietary one).

It would massively improve the experience on Xbox

Iā€™ve cobbled together a setup using a wireless air mouse stuck onto my headphones/cap using Velcro, which allows me to toggle a home made head tracker (of sorts) using a freelook toggle switch on my yoke.

6 Likes

Nice! Definitely interested in this work round. Could you share the make/model of air mouse and the settings you used please? This is exactly what I need. Iā€™ve set up panning left and right on a hat stick but the freedom of looking around like this would be a game changer

2 Likes

For me, this is what is missing for a perfect experience.

Msfs 2020 is already very good on Xbox with the beta .

Track IR on Xbox is a must have to complete the game

2 Likes

I am also interested in your creation.

It would be kine of you to share it with us !
:wink:

1 Like

Hereā€™s the controller settings I have for my Velocity One - the only important bit here is the freelook toggle, but Iā€™ve assigned the various views to a hat switch in case I donā€™t feel like wearing the tracker:

And hereā€™s the mouse settings I use:

The actual air mouse I use is from eBay - itā€™s just a cheap ā€œno brandā€ wireless job, here it is stuck to my headphones:

Youā€™ll need to play around with the settings a bit to find what works for you, and if you want to use a normal mouse for selecting switches etc, the easiest way to have both running is via a USB hub with a switch thatā€™ll toggle between the two (you can only have one active mouse connected at any time), but excusing those minor niggles (you soon get used to working around them) it works pretty well, all things considered!

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to post this, Iā€™m definitely going to look into it :blush::+1:t3:

2 Likes

This should definatley be bumped to the top of whatever list it needs to be on, totally trying this with an accellerometer and a pro micro!

1 Like

Iā€™m trying this setup and bought a similar/identical looking cheap generic Amazon air mouse. Do you find you need to ā€˜activateā€™ the pointer first before it works, especially after switching input from the other mouse (mine I need to press the middle button)

Trying to see if Iā€™m missing a setting or something, considering seeing if zipties will help hold the button down

Yep, as I said, I have ā€œFreelook Toggleā€ signed to a button on my yoke, which switches between the normal pointing/clicking settings to just looking round in whatever direction the mouse is moved in.

I wouldnā€™t worry about trying to ziptie the button down, just allocate it to another button on your controller/joystick/yoke/keyboard.

Thanks for the reply as know itā€™s an old topic. I have the config fine on the MSFS side I meant the cheap orange air mouse itself - I think mine needs a button pushed first to become ā€˜liveā€™ of that makes sense

Ah, yes - mine has a button that activates it, I just reach up over my head and press itā€¦ I canā€™t say itā€™s really been much of an issue, to be honest.

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ll work around that then. Last issue to work out is the appearance of the massive Xbox mouse cursor/pointer over the existing mouse arrow. Never been an issue with my previous mouse setup but getting it now on both usually after switching input. Is this something you came across, any ideas on stopping that?

The only way Iā€™ve found is to swap out to another game, then swap back - itā€™s a bit of a pain, which is probably the reason why Iā€™ve not used this idea as much lately as I did when I first published the idea! If the curator issue is fixed at some point (not holding my breath!) then thatā€™s be better.