Switching weather will overstress Aircraft … due to new Aerodynamics? (v1.12.13.0)

Since the very first release I only have experienced this bug once … two days ago in v1.12.13.0.

Due to really bad weather over eastern Russia I decided to switch to “Clear Skies” in order to see some of the beauty near lake Baikal etc.

After some cruising I switch back to “Live weather” to check if the scenery was more interesting in “winter” conditions … and almost instantaneously the aircraft “crashed” (failed in mid air) due to overstress.

I have never seen this before.

I guess that the sudden change in weather condition (like wind speed, direction + turbulence etc.) might have caused the (new?) Aeordynamic system to compute force vectors which exceed certain limits (of the King Air).

I guess a “bug fix” might be easy … e.g. disable the “failure detection” for a few seconds (frames) whenever there is a manual adjustment of some weather parameters.

Has anybody else seen this effect?

Yes we have … I think you’re exactly right about the cause and your suggested work around. I’ve encountered the same thing just due to turbulence, 2 versions ago. And funnily some of us were discussing it yesterday in this thread:

Good (in a sense) … at least it is a known phenomenon.

Thanx for providing that clarification.
It sounds like it is somewhat unclear if that is a “bug” or a “feature”.

So lets see how this will evolve.

I have noticed this issue for sometime now.
So far I have gotten around it by hitting the PAUSE key, switch weather, then hitting PAUSE again once everything is adjusted.

1 Like

Agree with your comments. What I’d found seemed to be a pretty good and appropriate depiction of clear air turbulence associated with a jet stream. Right up until I apparently ‘broke up’ mid flight. Although there have been some very nasty incidents caused by turbulence I’m not aware of any total loss accidents associated with CAT in modern times.

So “bug” or “Feature”? Don’t know - but I fly with ‘Stress causes damage’ set to ‘off’ these days!

Good point … I now also deactivated “Stress causes damage”.

Weather is such an amazing (visual) feature of the game … but “breaking up” in mid air is not too recreational.

Given that I can not feel (with my body) the G-forces shaking my aircraft I even literally have no feeling for how “bad” the turbulences are.

1 Like

Hmm … I played with weather switching … and there seems to be one more effect.

Barometric air pressure (=altitude)

So when I switch from “Clear skies” to “Live (really bad) weather” the aircrafts altitude jumps dramatically … and if I am on “autopilot” the aircraft responds with a rapid adjustment of the flight path.

If I disable the autopilot before I switch the weather I still can see the aircraft taking some kind of “hard hit” (like if the instantaneous change in lateral wind speed induces some impulse that causes a pendulum reaction) … but at least the aircraft does not simultaneously apply “radical” course corrections.

Just wondering … maybe some part of the failure code looks at (rapid) altitude changes and converts them into G-forces … and they then “break up” the aircraft?