SWS Kodiak 100 Previews

Of course, you are right about the default G1000. I went back and rewatched the part of Q&A when Matt was talking about NXi, I assumed when NXi reaches the default level around SU6, it would replace the default G1000, but that is not the case… it will remain as a beta add-on. Of course, given the circumstances, it makes total sense to make it with the default G1000 in mind.

Edit: Someone would have to ask Matt when they plan to replace the default G1000 with the NXi. Perhaps after the flight planner implementation?

1 Like

In all honesty, I don’t think the aircraft is complicated enough to put off less serious non- “button pushers” (to use your term) so I doubt that is too much of a worry. Though proper use of an accurately functioning G1000 is another matter, but no doubt a casual pilot could manage with using only the main features that they have seen in an FSX default style unit, anyway. If you get what I mean.

I remember many people being nuts about the Lionheart Kodiak back in the Air Hauler for FSX dev team/test team but I wasn’t convinced and didn’t buy it at the time. Nothing to do with the aircraft per se - it looks great and has all the right abilities - it was just too expensive to buy (in Air Hauler) for what it could carry = cost v returns.

I actually bought it last year for bush flying and really enjoy it (in VR) in both FSX and P3D - I can pretty much guarantee I’ll be picking yours up.

I do hope the NXi comes to the level of what they had with their mod before SU5. That version was so good that we got an almost copmlete implementation of the ED in. The pic below is with the legacy WT G1000 from April. You can see that everything is there except trim indications which couldn’t be done with the real layout. Note that in reality, the Kodiak uses NXi interface on the PFDs, but legacy interface on the MFD.

WT G1000 0.3.7 which was the last version pre-SU5 couldn’t do what NXi did - notably because it lacked the built-in Flight Planning logic which gives NXi full ARINC compatibility. It didn’t even have advisory VNAV. I understand the engine data page dilemma, but 0.3.7 isn’t even close to what NXi is today. About the only thing the G1000 NXi needs that was in 0.3.7 is the flight path marker/Velocity Vector.

I’m going to stop going on with the off-topic because this thread is about the Kodiak, but I really feel folks need to be clear that 0.3.7 and NXi are miles apart, and NXi is the one ahead, even in 0.7.1 current state.

5 Likes

I agree. The NXi is a Ferrari while the (even modded) g1000 was a Fiat

2 Likes

I flew the Thranda Kodiak for XP a lot. If this approaches that level of reproduction I will be a happy bunny.

For those who missed it, @Ehviator33 gave an in depth preview to the current beta build of the SWS Kodiak earlier today on his Twitch channel:

4 Likes

That ‘video’ should be removed immediately. Worst plane salesman I have ever seen. Shame on SimWorks!

He’s not trying to sell anything, he’s just a enthausiatic beta tester that got permission to show some progress on the Kodiak on his (imrovised) stream between his busy work schedule as a pilot. I’m sure there will be more in dept video’s give it some time.

5 Likes

He did a good job. He did not take it too seriously obviously, but it was still fun and entertaining. No need to blame the guy for anything. He was enthusiastic and showed us what we wanted and what he could/was allowed. Obvioulsly, he does not take simming as dead serious as he takes the real flying, and this is fine. He enjoyed himself and had a very sympathic and enthusiastic appearance.

Yes, i also prefer more “realistic” streams/videos where a real pilot shows us something that we can learn from. But that is just a different style depending on the content creator. He seems to like his streams more relaxed and entertaining. I enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Will all buttons be bindable? Like the air bypass and the starter modes? At least acessible by variables? Not having this is one of the major downsides of the MV PC-6 for homepit builders.
Also will the flap autotrim be modeled?

Yes, it was shown in the stream that you can see above.

3 Likes

Awesome. I am only 15 minutes in :slight_smile:

I didn’t see the whole thing but thought it was a fine stream - and showed the apparent level of detail that has gone into this plane. He said at the beginning he wasn’t going to be following real procedures, but otherwise I thought he did a good job showing off the plane. Really can’t wait to get my hands on it! I just bought the MilViz PC-6, and between that and the Kodiak, I see a LOT of virtual bush flying happening this winter!

2 Likes

Having great fun right now bush flying in the Porter. I can really recommend the Bush Divers Invitational bush trips from Flightsim.to These trips make for some interesting routes and challenging landings on remote airstrips in Papua New Guinea, Nepal etc.
Post SU5 you can’t load them as proper bush trips, but it is possible to grab the flight plan from the folders. As a flight plan it’s much easier to choose your own plane and livery, weather, time of day etc.

Some more preview shots from high altitude flight regime testing today over Corsica:

8 Likes

Lovely pics. Thank you. How is the handling of that thing? In the stream we saw some strange tendency of the plane to sit on its backside (I would say butt :wink: ) if trimmed up a bit and at full throttle with brakes released. Can you share more info about it?

I would say beta :wink: (also mentioned several times in the stream)

1 Like

I also just saw comments from SWS on their facebook that they are still tweaking the FM.

As Mitch said quite a few times throughout the stream, what you were seeing is a work in progress.

I’ll leave the offical PR response to lead developer @SiRRiPPERORiG to answer :wink:

2 Likes