SWS Vans RV-14 is out

Yes it is. Always cheaper directly from devs then from 3rd party stores.

2 Likes

That was the same with the Kodiak. And that’s the reason I bought the Kodiak directly from SWS

No, not always. Look at the Grumman Goose for example. $23.65 on Orbx vs $27 on Big Radials site.

I always pay sale tax on Orbex, so not for me. But if not, it is cheaper.

You need to use Nano VG in dev mode to eliminate the main thread issue with the glass. Some will pop fuse for the far left glass panel. I forget the number but it’s common practice in the Kodi and RV planes it seems when using normal mode in the sim. I do get the odd stutter in these planes even more so then the Kodi. However they run quite well overall with Nano VG.

On a side note SU9 might have Nano VG enabled by default again. Also like the Kodi set your pilot and copilot weight to 100 before the flight and then you can set it again once the flight loads and avatars will vanish.

I did notice the floor mats flicker through the glass canop. Sounds amazing it really does. The plane looks, sounds, and flies great. After some fiddle faddle with the freeware 750 and activating approach I was able to shoot a few ILS just fine. Will most certainly fly it more but I kind of like the RV-7 style pure glass canopy.

2 Likes

Where did you get those numbers? I see £15.14 and €18.12 on Orbx.

It’s only a small markup to cover the fees Orbx charges I think.

What do you mean “everything else from the freeware has been fixed and or polished”? There was never a freeware version on this plane.

RV-7 is the freeware version on flightsim dot to

Right, but different developer, different variant.

2 Likes

Oh I see I did not know that. My apologies and thank you for pointing that out. Amazing how similar they are. I still have the RV-7 installed too. Good little plane but I kept that in for anyone who doesn’t have RV-14.

1 Like

I have the RV-7 too and it’s actually my second favorite plane after the Kodiak and before the Twin Otter. The developer deejing has done a great job and regularly updates it. I hope he keeps working on it. Simworks Studios is planning on releasing an RV-12, RV-8 and their own RV-7 over the next 12 months, I think.

Buy anyway, the freeware RV-7/7A with glass and steam gauges will remain in my hangar for a long long time.

3 Likes

The sound on this RV-14 is quite gnarly. I really like when the prop just gets angry on takeoff it’s like powerband kicks in and away she goes. Then when landing and easing back on the throttle man does she sound good. Was out at Catalina yesterday mostly after doing a little test flight out of KPOU.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. I’ll check it out.

After flying in the direct sun for a while I love the sun visor on the canopy… :rofl:

Really a joy to fly from startup to shutdown. Even the fans on the canopy/dash spin and the attention to detail is here. Highly recommend this plane after a little more time with it. Someone asked me if this plane was twitchy and no it is not. Ground roll is not twitchy at all either and has this unique feel to it. I think some people will be surprised how good this plane is. It’s pretty fast too yet can land it anywhere.

2 Likes

Pretty nice, fast, extremely easy to start & as people have said the view is great. Has a bit of that wooden/FBW feel a lot of MSFS small aircraft seem to have, annoyingly - might be a good candidate for early SU9 exploration.

Really enjoyable plane - and looks and sounds great!

One bug others and I have seen is if you turn off the standby instrument with the fuse panel (to save FPS), using the Spare fuse on the right, 3rd row down, it also seems to cause the AP to not work properly. Plane won’t follow a HDG or NAV course, will slowly (or not so slowly) bank to the right.

Try this, and you dont need to turn it off anymore. Works for me on both kodiak and rv-14.

It’s a nice plane and I’m enjoying it so far. Pretty capable little thing! Haven’t managed to overstress it yet doing some pretty heavy acrobatics.

Not sure I would fancy pulling moves like this in a plane I built myself in real life!!

High-G turns and loops… thinking to myself “did I do all those bolts up properly?” :smiley:

One question. Is it really this much slower than the RV-7? This says 272kph, RV-7 says 370kph

Need to try the trick to disable the standby thingy. It hasn’t as great a hit on my system as in the Kodi but was getting some unusual long pauses in flight of a second or more freezing (could be due to my custom airports in the area though… trying elsewhere now)

1 Like

Both models have a wide range of engine options which can account for a significant difference in speed I suspect. According to Van’s website the generic specs show:

“Top Speed 207 mph” for RV-14:

“Top Speed 217 mph” for RV-7:

The thing that I’m most impressed with is the very short landing distance. Fly the final @ 70 kts with the throttle still in but pulled back (14"-15" MP @ full fine prop) and 15 degrees flaps. Over the “piano keys” drop full flaps and ease down to the runway, never touching the power. Once the mains contact, pull throttle back to the stop and you’ll make the first taxiway every time.

This is really a great aircraft for bush trips: quick to rotate on takeoff and drops like a stone once full flaps are deployed for landing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes