Taking the PC plunge soon

I use wifi, no problem with my pc inbuilt wifi. Erthernet is best practice though. My wifi router is quite close to the pc so I could ethernet if i wanted to instead, but haven’t felt the need. The bottleneck for me is my slow broadband.

1 Like

Yeah my router is on the other side of the house. Fortunately it’s still consistently pretty fast but of course I’d prefer ethernet, given the option.

So on the face of it, a standard 3070 would be good enough, haha.

Yeah, but pricing is usually close enough now that you might as well get the 3070Ti.The pricing differential has changed since the reviews, and ‘MSRP’ original 3070’s are a pipe dream now.

And sorry, just a question on the motherboard. Would the MSI PRO B660M-A work well with the i7 12700? Or is the one you suggested ( MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA170) wifi enabled? One says it’s ATX, and one says micro ATX.

If you need wifi, get the wifi enabled version of the board, or one from this list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=154&f=2,7&V=8000,6000&sort=price&X=14103,147056&m=27

Nothing wrong with an mATX board in an ATX case, they just look a bit weird (not that you see it once the GPU is installed) and lack a couple of PCie slots at the bottom.

Cheers. Appreciate the assistance.

Yeah the difference in price between the two cards is about £40, so negligible. The 3080 is a massive leap (£300 plus) and it seems to be in short supply. The 3080ti is even more cost prohibitive. I think if I wait 1-2 years the 3080’s may well drop to a reasonable price.

I get 5-600 Mbps on Comcast, but never get this wireless (2-300), only via ethernet cable. Its funny, but they always promise speeds that they cannot get wireless, although Comcast is a known not so great company …

But see thats where they get you, most providers say Speeds Up To …XXXmbps. That way they are covered. When diagnosising my problem, I read of a guy who ordered fiber, cable company came out and said to him, well we can do it but its going to take awhile, and if I were you I wouldnt bother because the best your gonna get is 100mpbs. Draws on for a time (months to get things resolved) and in the end the installers were wrong he only got 14mbps LOL … UPTO ;p

2 Likes

I do get actual 400-530 Mbps generally (by ethernet cable only) …

I will try and sort ethernet at some point. In the short term though I’ll be wifi. I do have a decent, stable connection though fortunately so it won’t be a pressing need for me.

So I’m trying to figure out airflow, and what fan configuration to use. I don’t think I’ll need tons of them as the case is (reportedly) very good at maximising airflow (Corsair 4000D airflow).

So I’m thinking two 140mm fans on the front, and a 140mm on the rear as exhaust should be good. Not 100% sure though.

Nearly there, only the CPU to get now (later this week). Plan on building it early next week. I’m a little apprehensive but also excited.

1 Like

May the self assembly tech gods be ever in your favour. Fingers crossed ot goes smoothly.:crossed_fingers:
I’ve optimised FS on two PCs now one slow and one fast, so when you do get it installed if you need any help with what to tweak from an FS perspective, let me know. You will get a headache trying to research the 100’s of threads on here about it. Too much conflicting evidence to digest.

1 Like

Cheers dude. I will. Figure with my CPU and GPU (i7 12700 and 3070ti) I would start with ultra settings at 1440p, and try to tweak it from there but I shall certainly call on your expertise, as I know comparatively little about the PC version.

1 Like

Sounds like a good combo. What display are you going to be using?

1 Like

55" Phillips OLED TV. I do have a 1080p 22" monitor that I use mainly for work to fall back on if need be, but I am going to ideally use the TV, and perhaps get an ultrawide monitor later in the year.

1 Like

You may be able to run at 4K on that tbh with the right tweaks in FS.

2 Likes

Well I’m aiming for 1440p so anything above that will certainly be a bonus. I’m certainly not bothered about high frame rates as I’m very used to 30fps on the Series X, and I think that’s pretty smooth.

1 Like

Its the great pc simmer debate. Two lines of thinking-

1. The max frame raters who want 60fps everywhere but get 55fps over clouds and 25fps when coming in over dense airports and frequently experience stutters.

2. The locked frameraters (me for one) who recognise that for most things this sim doesn’t need high fps. Indeed you can often get a much smoother (and quieter) performance at a locked 30fps if everything else is set up right, and it does relate to display refresh rates too.

You could drive yourself mad and be non the wiser after reading all the threads in here.

1 Like

It’s horses for courses really. 60FPS and above is useful for games that require fast reactions, shooters etc. But a flight sim, no. 30-40FPS and I’ll be very happy.

1 Like

An ethernet cable is always faster, better latency, more reliable, less overhead. Remember that a wi-fi access point is a hub, not a switch. It’s well worth using an ethernet cable.

1 Like