Taking the PC plunge soon

I tried the adventure on XBOX during 9 months but the repeated problems and especially the impression to have a quarter of the possibilities offered on a PC encouraged me to stop flying on XBOX and to consider the purchase of a PC.

1 Like

Do it, if you can afford it. You won’t look back, I guarantee it.

Depending on what your problems are/were on the xbox, other then a lack of addons, you might have the same problems on the PC. There are alot of us that are having bad performance issue on PC as well, sometimes it works and well sometimes it doesnt with no rhyme or reason for the situation.

I welcome you to the PC world, but dont just buy it for this since you maybe disappointed with the end result…

Good Luck.

Might want to see if you can find an affordable system with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D. They stacked extra cache on top of the CPU die, and people are reporting insanely good performance in this sim.

I have a heavily overclocked 12900k right now, but the 5800X3 benches look too good to ignore. I’ve owned many Intel systems, but I’ve also owned several Ryzen systems and built a few for family. AMD is extremely competitive right now.

Already built and running, mate. i7 12700 and a 3070ti, 32GB RAM. I’m able to run everything at 4K, ultra settings around 40fps and it runs that pretty happily. I’m not interested in overclocking really to be honest personally, I can get the performance I want without resorting to that.

2 Likes

My plunge into the PC world is almost complete. I have everything built and just awaiting to plop in a 5800x3d and 6900xt from amazon next week. I was originally thinking 3080 12GB but prices for 6900xt (xfx merc319) dropped below the 3080s and I always wanted an all-AMD system. That said, I do not think it necessary at all to go with those type of high-end specs for PC, that’s just what I decided to do so I won’t have to consider upgrades anytime soon.

But I’m compiling a list of all the things I’ll be able to do try with a PC I can’t on xbox…

• So many freeware mods to try (e.g. fbw320)
  • Freeware scenery/airports in addition to PC-only scenery.
  • My existing payware airports that crash on xbox will now be usable,.
  • FSRealistic Pro, gtn750 and many other PC-only addons.
  • Planes! Milviz 310 and JustFlight Arrow to start. Possibly the Fenix 320 (after I enjoy the fbw for a while).
  • Considering Tobii tracker (I don’t want to go full VR)
  • Hardware like logtiech panels, etc. (I already have Velocity 1 for now so will use that)
  • Ultra widescreen monitor.

The list goes on. … xbox is still enjoyable for me (300+ hours) but I’m looking forward to a whole new level of possibities with PC.

1 Like

It’s a cliché but it’s so much better, in my opinion. You won’t be sorry you made the jump.

I’m also thinking of getting a PC with an AMD 5800x3d processor and a 3080 TI graphics card

1 Like

I suggest to not overclock, there is a reason why it says “over”.

1 Like

2 days now on PC with 5800x3d/6900xt (total system cost $2k usd) and I’m in awe at how much better the experience is than on xbox. Every airport that CTDs on xbox runs flawlessly on the new PC. Exceptional frame rates even in places like Chicago landmarks, Tokyo, NYC. I tried the fbw a32nx and was blown away at how much better it is than the stock a320. I haven’t even purchased any of the PC-only planes yet to try so I’m just getting started. I thought xbox was fine but this is a whole new world. Not a single CTD or performance issue yet even with all of marketplace addons installed…

4 Likes

So pleased for you.

1 Like

Same experience for me, i7 12700 and a 3070ti. Running very happily in 4K around 35fps, CTD’s have been extremely rare (touch wood) and I’ve bought 6 PC only planes already haha. It is a different world on PC, and I’m never going back to the Xbox.

1 Like

It is a pity that XBox is not up to scratch.

1 Like

I agree, as it’s a fantastic console, it’s just not capable of running the sim to it’s fullest extent.

1 Like

It’s taken a year for devs to decide to monitor xbox memory resources too :roll_eyes:. Way too slow. I could see all the warning signs last year 2-3 months after starting on series X. PC is like a whole new FS experience. Enjoy.

1 Like

I think you need 32GB to run the sim to it’s fullest, personally. And I think having a GPU with it’s own dedicated VRAM helps enormously.

1 Like

Making allowance for the O/S yes. FS doesn’t use the 32GB, but the headroom for windows and cache is great. VRAM, yes always thought XBox was lacking there. It’s 16GB or RAM is shared with VRAM. They would have been better (or may still) producing an XBox with 32GB shared RAM/VRAM just for FS, who knows at this stage though what their future plan is for it.

1 Like

No I know it specifically only uses 16GB to make allowances for the Xbox. Still definitely useful to have though.The dedicated VRAM is what makes the biggest difference, I think.

1 Like

Try not to install many addons and ONLY use them through addons linker, so that you can select which to have running.
Tobi eye tracker may be good, but a DIY trackir is vastly cheaper and works brilliantly.
I have a widescreen curved monitor. I’d not buy one today. Wait until we see what SU10 offers in multiscreen. At present MSFS doesn’t really do widescreen very well.

I think you’re a mind reader…I was just thinking this morning about getting the Tobii or trackir and also looking at an upgrade to a widescreen curved monitor. I’m not interested in full VR (I’m prone to motion sickness so don’t need that level of realism).

So with a widescreen does it “stretch” the view or just extend the view. I have a 32 inch regular monitor but am constantly panning left/right and zooming to look at cockpit controls, etc. I thought both widescreen and some kind of tracker would fix this.

@PluckyUnderdog What has been your fav new PC plane so far? The list of available planes is long and most are expensive so I’m not sure where to start. I was thinking Hawk T1 since I enjoy the MB339 aot but not sure it would different enough. Also either the 310 or 414. For now I’m just getting used to fbw 32nx so holding off on the expensive airliners (although I will get 737-800 when that is released)l

As far as VRAM, I always suspected memory problems being responsible for the many CTDs a got on xbox with complex airports. I often see my VRAM usage approach 12GB in dense areas/airports.