Taxi Arrows Need Complete Re-Work

Actually I’ve tried this suggestion amd each time I have, the AI taxis perfectly. I get credit for the flight each time as “it” always finds the correct taxi destination and will actually increase the throttle on long taxiways too.

The problem, particularly at large airports with lots of ramp vehicles, is the AI with the vehicles themselves. It’s literally a hit or miss situation.

I flew for over 5 hours in the C-172 with steam gauges and did hops down the east coast from Maine to lower Mew England, stopping only for fuel. The only complaint was fuel trucks driving in front of my aircraft, van shuttles coming to a stop in front of me while taxiing, airport police vehicles stopping laterally across my path of taxi, etc. Now I can understand why they were designed as a non-collision item, at least until this is addressed in a future patch as they should most definately be an item in which to have a collision with as IRL. But given their whacky antics I can overlook it for now.

So yes, AI does in fact taxi well amd I just turn that on in the in-game menu upon clearing the runway. I handle the ATC communications though and never had a CTD because of it.

In retrospect, if one wants to keep it as IRL, think about it. There wouldn’t even be taxi arrows of course. It good to have the, as an assistant if desired but even so they still definately need to be reworked for a variety of reasons and be hotkey assignable, or have it appear as an option to click on within the upper in-game menu rathe than have to pause the game each time.

However, if coming into an airport one is unfamiliar with (particularly large airports) one should be able to look at the taxiway signs and go by that along with a current airport diagram. The problem arises as quite a few stock airports have incorrectly placed signage, let alone taxi lights, but they are working in this.

I see another suggestion based on this as well here;

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/after-landing-an-option-to-view-airport-diagram-on-atc-window-to-aid-taxi-parking/272178

1 Like

Another idea would be to zoom in to the airport on your MFD and have the assigned taxy way be highlighted on your MFD. I think this would allow for much better emmersion.

5 Likes

As said, way more discreet, smaller and easily toggled on/off w/ a keypress–easy peasy, good enough. I think having the arrows or indicators not following the full path might be nice: have them fade away say 150’ in front of the plane’s nose such that it fades away at the end farthest away. Something simple, classy, togglable.

I would love it if there was more than just on & off when it came to taxi assistance.
For example, I like to try and move around without assistance using airport charts, but very often the gate/ramp numbers or taxiway letters don’t correlate with the real life charts.
I find myself having to turn on assistance just to see where my spot actually is and then taxi slowly zooming in on each taxiway marker to make sure I’m still going the right way. It would be nice if there were a way to turn on just the waypoint for your parking spot, and maybe also taxiway names.

1 Like

Hi there. How would you like them modified? As I’m reading this, I’m having difficulty understanding how you hope the blue taxi lines would be different. Is it just the color or is it something else? What color would you want it to be?

There’s a similar thread that people might want to also vote for.

2 Likes

Thanks! Just left my vote!

2 Likes

Is this thread about the toggling the ribbon on and off? I’m still confused as to what this is about.

Agreed. Mostly too big… and they go through buildings.

Just about changing the default ribbon specially the intensive blue color in use

Oh, okay, thank you!

I would prefer if you could bring up the airport diagram on your MFD with the route you have to take highlighted. This would work and not break immersion.

1 Like

Is that a Garmin function in real life?

Yes! That would be even better!

No, it isn’t, Garmin doesn’t know your assigned taxi route and dialing it in after clearance would be too slow.
But in terms of immersion it would surely be okay.
I’d prefer a solution which works on all aircraft, even the most basic without glass displays. So I’d prefer a less intrusive taxiway marker to this approach still.

U have an option to disable in the assistance section i like the taxi ribbon i use it all the time lol but one thing they can do is minimize the size by a lot

It reflects on the windshield too…

Rather than arrows why not simply have the pathway glow with a soft green/blue, as if the taxiway had an embedded uniform maybe foot-wide soft-edged LED lighting strip covering the Progressive Taxi route, just bright enough be visible at high noon on a clear day and self-adjusting to ambient lighting, toggleable w/ a keystroke. I like this much more that sharp-edged arrows it’s just too gauche and foreign looking. I think if this were done really well it could be made to look like it belonged there. To me this might be far easier to program–they just need to define the edges and apply the correct shading to it versus creating objects per se that sit on top.

I like this idea so much I am going to start a new thread as it may get lost here in this one.

1 Like

There are a lot of ideas…whatever is ok, but thinking about something real or matching the real life, followme cars or arrows in a map, are the most accomplished

1 Like