Tempted to reinstall

You know what, I am seriously tempted to completely remove all traces of my steam installation and completely reinstall in the hope that it will improve things. Anyone else contemplating the same painful process?.

1 Like

A couple of months ago I would have re-installed. Mine was a new in stall on Sunday after reinstalling windows. Now I canā€™t play.

Iā€™ve uninstalled mine and leaving off until they fix it. Too much aggravation for something that should work.

If you were to do that I think waiting a bit longer for everything to calm down. New release, patches and whatnot taxing the servers may still kick up the occasional missed bit check?

Interesting responses.

I did that a while back. Did absolutely nothing to help with performance or other issues.

Buggy code is buggy code, no matter how often you reinstall it.

A fresh install sometimes helps when games are modded in a wrong way and no longer work (I had to reinstall The Witcher 3 I guess ten times over the two years I played when having made changes that somehow messed up to much codelines).
But it will not change anything with your flight sim - when it crashes with your hardware configuration, it will continue to do so.
You can try ā€¦ but it won`t help with stability issues or bugs :wink: 20 hours of fresh installation are probably just a waste of time. If it runs not good on your PC it will not run good after a fresh install.

But freshly installing a new CPU or more stable RAM might helpā€¦

You might find yourself jumping out a window when you run it again. :slight_smile:

A Reinstall wont do nothing unless your having problems with other games on the sane SSD or HDD what ever you useā€¦There are a lot of bugs in this sim at the minā€¦I cant see a Reinstall helping

But up to you at the end of the day bud

Edited -Replied the wrong person Sorry

I think if I was in your situation I would first;

• Make sure everything in the Content Manager is up to date
  • Move the Community folder completely out of its current folder (let the software recreate it)
  • Move the flightsim.cfg file completely out of its current folder (let the software recreate it)
  • Remove all optional Controller profiles from the Option - Controls menu

Restart MSFS 2020 and see if it works as is, do not make any mods until you know it is running OK.

It really depends on why youā€™re contemplating a reinstall in the first place. I mean, I did one on patch day. I didnā€™t particularly want to but the patch itself was not showing up for download, I had other things I could be doing, so why not? It worked in that by the next morning I successfully had the latest version of the sim, but it didnā€™t change my experience of the sim in any meaningful way. (Outside of what the patch did on itā€™s own.)

If youā€™re having issues that appear to have been introduced by SU5 then itā€™s probably a waste of time. Youā€™re still going to have the same version of the sim after a reinstall, so very likely the same issues too. If, however, you can leave your PC doing the download while you occupy yourself doing other things for a while, then why not? Itā€™s not going to do any harm.

Just donā€™t expect any magic results from it.

Well, thatā€™s the Microsoft wayā€“computer doesnā€™t operate? Just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. Software doesnā€™t workā€“just reinstall it and hope for the best! But no, I donā€™t really have a desire to reinstall something that was working perfectly before the latest ā€œupdateā€ (more like massive crash inducing bug we turned loose on the world)ā€¦

Following mandatory update 18, it appears that I have ā€˜lostā€™ flightsim 2020. The startup icon has disappeared. Does this mean I have to now re-install and pay for it again.
Prior to that event the app would crash just on the climb-out from the runway!
I have contacted zendesk and awaiting a reply.
Any help would be appreciated.

Do it, it solved tons of issues for me, a fresh install is a must when a software has been patched many times over, I would recommend leaving the PC updating overnight so you donā€™t even notice it.

Thanks for the advice.
Iā€™m unsure how you go about re-installing the app.
I bought the premiere deluxe version (digital owned).

If you bought it from the xbox store uninstall it from the store, but previously copy your community folder to a different path so you donā€™t loose all your mods. Then just reinstall.

If you bought it on Steam just do the same with the community folder and then right click and uninstall, it will delete the whole game from your PC, then just reinstall.

It is a pretty easy process, just check that once you uninstall the space is actually liberated in your hard drive so you can verify it has been effectively uninstalled.

Utterly pointless to uninstall and reinstall. I have the same installation now as the one I made on launch day. It has received all the patches, hotfixes, world, and sim updates. Itā€™s working great - never better IMO, as I have definitely seen a significant upgrade in overall performance after SU5.

Already today Iā€™ve done two 1-hour long flights completely without incident, using either my Logitech Extreme 3D or my XB1X controller (both working completely fine). No CTD events since the Hotfix yesterday. All looking extremely good.

All this, on a modest i7 / 16GB RAM / GTX1080 (not even a ti), running at 1920x1080@30fps ā€˜High Endā€™ default settings. And I run MSFS 2020 off a 2TB external USB Passport drive! :rofl:

IMO too many flight sim enthusiasts overthink, over-complicate and over-spend - and then wonder why nothing works. meanwhile, ā€˜casualsā€™ like me pootle on past with our unremarkable little PC rigs and somehow everything works for us. Go figure.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.